WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Just my 2 cents, The first and only Platy I bought leaked the first day out. I had to use duck duct tape to stop the leak. Replaced it when I got the first chance, good ole water bottle.

But I am sure they are more rugged now. I am just leary of forking over 50 bucks for something that will leak the first day.

Just my 2 cents
    I've been using platys for years now, and have had exceptional service from them. It's easy to tell when they are going to spring a leak, as the plastic begins to get opaque, and the company will replace them at no cost.

I consider them to be cheap enough to be a consumable item, and light enough to bring an extra one along.

Images

Thumbs up I like the 3 humper

I've used the camels and the wally-worlds The camelbak gets my vote. The wally's tend to leak easier at the cap, bite valves leak faster, The cap has a O ring to loose, and I have a tendency to loose most everything. I never had a platypus. Ultimately it's $8 vs $30 I'm happy with the Ti Camelbak 3L enough to replace it with another why change?
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Images

a buddy of mine got the walmart bladder. the water in it tasted plasticy
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Use lemon juice (which I think I saw someone mention, but worth the repeat) to get rid of the taste.

I have the walmart version and love it. Works better than my camelbak one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    Here's the question I have: if you buy two or more water bags with the intention of carrying extra water on the trail, how do you cap off the place where the hose attaches on the bags you're not currently using? Do you just keep hoses plugged in to all of them? I've never seen any kind of cap that fits the hose attachment point, on the Walmart ones or the platys.
    Have you tried a cap from a 2 liter soda bottle? That's what I use on my one liter platy. Works great and has never leaked.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Thanks for the suggestion, Lilred. But the Walmart ones have the female side of the connection on the bag itself, and the male side on the hose. So if I disconnect the hose, there's nothing to screw a cap to.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Images

also you can buy platypus's with out the hose and they come with a cap and its easy to switch the hose btn your platypus's

as far as the walmart bladder, bought one when i first got into backpacking, it leaked.
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

My first bladder was a platypus that ended up leaking at the bottom. I switch to the walmart bladders and have been quite pleased with them. They fit quite nicely in my Granite Gear's bladder sleeve. I do carry a spare just in case. Haven't noticed a plastic taste with mine. I may consider the camelbak version in the future.

Images

my first bladder was the walmart cyclone and the first time i used it, it leaked from the threads all over my sleeping pad, bag, and food... i bought a platy and haven't had a problem.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

I had two of them leak on me the whole first trip I used them.

Sorry .... ok for day hikes, but I won't use them again. Drying out gear is too big a pain.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sparky2009 View Post
    My first bladder was a platypus that ended up leaking at the bottom. .

If that happened, return your playtpus to the company - it has a lifetime warranty. They sent me a brand new one, really nice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

The tube also melts at alower temp then the tube on a real camelback. Something that might make a difference in the winter.

I have been using the new Platypus collapsible bottles. I carry one in each side mesh pocket and they rock! When empty, simply roll it up into a little tube and stuff in a litlte pocket. Mine fit in my waist belt pocket when empty! Best water carry solution ever!

I just bought a cabelas platy and it worked ok for my Laurel Highland Trail a couple of weeks. I was a little concerned with filling it all the way up because of pressure of cinching the pack and the weight pushing on the bladder might leak. It never did.

I never noticed any plastic taste what so ever. I wanted a camelback but didn't have enough cash on me so I opt out for the cheaper platy.

I have the walmart one and actually love it. I know at the beginning there was a plastic taste (2 years ago), I honestly couldn't tell you if it is still there or if I'm just used to it. I use it in the day pack that it came in and I use it in my internal frame (LL Bean White Mountain) fits just fine. I just did 10 days on the AT and had it in the internal. I have a Katadyn water filter and found that the tube from thefilter will fit INSIDE the bite valve threading so it makes for REALLY easy fill ups!! So far so good on the leaks (knock*knock*knock)

Had used the Walmart Cyclone and it had the plastic taste for months...then the bite valve leaked when the hose was on my pack strap. Used a Camelback and a Platypus...both ok. However, I have switched to Gadoraide bottles...its nice to chug water when you want to...no sip...sip...sip. I guess I am revolting to being like a gerbil and the water dribble thing! Long live gulping and chugging!

Ricky and his Husky Jack
    Images

When you use lemon juice, do you just use one of those little plastic shaped lemons with juice in them and swoosh it around, and then send it out through the hose?

Or do you dilute it with a certain amount of water etc?

I've used my walmart bladder for about 25 miles so far, but I'm going on a 12mi hike in the Smokies this saturday, so Im wanting to get rid of the taste (Without having to buy a diff one)
    Me: Ricky
    Husky: Jack
    Skeeter-Beeter Pro Hammock.
    From Dalton, Georgia (65 mi above Altanta, 15mi south of Chattanooga)

I haven't done it with this product, but...
    Arm & Hammer Baking Baking Soda - this product - http://www.grainger.com/product/33X6...140619191736:s
    and hot water works to get the after taste out of Wine-in-a-Box plastic bladders. A couple of tablespoons of baking soda and fill mostly full with hot water. Cover & let sit at least overnight. Swish around occasionally. Empty. Repeat. Rinse well with plain water.
    Start now.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I love the Osprey bladders. I did the camel back and other versions and brands and found the Osprey ones. I like them a lot actually. It depends on what you like but the Osprey is easier to clean and carry than the camel back ones in my opinion.

Journal Entries

I bought one of those 20 dollar Walmart "platypus" knockoffs. It worked OK and did taste a bunch like plastic. I never found any replacement parts on the shelf, but for 20 bucks, ya get what ya pay for. I guess a good ol' internet seach for that kinda stuff would have been necessary..but for 20 bucks? I went with an Osprey 1.5 liter this time cuz it had the same fancy picture of a bird as on my Osprey pack and we all know how important color coordinating is on the trail.

IF yer day hiking or something, go with Walmart, I spose, but for a few bucks more the stuff from REI just seems wayyy better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++