WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

i hate getting lost

I can walk in circles without being lost.

That being written, while in elementary school we were taught basic survival skills (ok, I lived in a rural area where it was important). One thing I remember from those lessons was that one would walk in a circle if lost or -- without proper procedures -- when attempting a bushwack.
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Images

i read in a survival book that people have 1 leg that is 'dominant' in the same fashion that one has a dominant arm/hand. this leg will propel a person forward and over long distances, without a fixed destination point, will bring a person back around in a circle. the same thing happens to a person rowing a boat
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i read in a survival book that people have 1 leg that is 'dominant' in the same fashion that one has a dominant arm/hand. this leg will propel a person forward and over long distances, without a fixed destination point, will bring a person back around in a circle. the same thing happens to a person rowing a boat
    Debunked in this very article:

"Souman said one explanation offered in the past for people walking in circles was that most people have one leg longer or stronger than the other, which would produce a systematic bias in one direction. To test this, the researchers asked people to walk straight while blindfolded which removed the effects of vision.
    "Most of the participants in the study walked in circles, sometimes in extremely small ones," Souman said in a statement.
    They found that these circles were rarely in a systematic direction, with the same person sometimes veering to the left and sometimes to the right.
    "Walking in circles is therefore not caused by differences in leg length or strength, but more likely the result of increasing uncertainty about where straight ahead is," said Souman."

Images

but then why would they return to where they began?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

++ New Posts ++