WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    OK, this works for ME; I am not easy to convince re: Home remidies, But after I was diagnosed someone told me of Cherries relieving the pain. So with a great amount of disbelief, & sceptasisim I gave it a try, Again, for ME, It WORKED. MY body dosn't care if they are red or black cherries, whole, cooked, dried, juice and even (surprised me) McD's cherry pies have relieved the beginnings of pain. I usually eat about 1 to 2 cans of tart red cherries a week, & havn't had a serious bout in over 2 years. Well, except for just after I at about 3/4 of a 19 OZ can of Cashews in ONE sitting: 14 Oz in less than 2 hrs. Aparently, for me at least, cashews are a trigger. It took 3 cans of cherries to undo the damage & about 3 doses of aspirin for the pain.
    I also heard that folic acid helps, I did not notice any difference. YMMV!

BTW, Mine is mostly in my right great toe, the one I broke about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with Gout about 2.5 years ago.
    I'll second the cherries theory. not from personal experience, but my step dad gets the gout from time to time... i did a little internet research and found a Univ. of Michigan study about the dried cherries and he's been taking them since and not had any reoccurances!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Journal Entries

I had gout 1993 in North Carolina, though the Franklin hospital emergency room diagnosed it as a staff infection in my big toe.

But it has happened three times since with identical symptoms and gout medicine (Indomethacin) works better to stop it than does the antibiotic that Franklin prescribed.

My doctors here in Maine tell me that gout comes and goes. They offered some diet recommendations, but I've long since forgotten what they were. But I eat pretty sensibly -- lots of fiber, easy on the red meats, and lots of veggies and fruits. The last attack was at least five years ago.

I've also found that a large dose of alleve works pretty well at relieving the symptoms. I found the instructions by querying "gout" on google.

Weary

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I tried the cherries remedy too but all they did was stain my toes.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

The gout attacks I have had were triggered by my love of sewer trout (sardines), and of all things, beans, that I was eating to cut down on the red meat. In my case, celery seed seemed to do the trick. Haven't had a gout attack in years, despite the occasional seafood dinner (sardines and crackers) and red beans and rice.

A fellow I play chess with gets it now and then. He said it was due to uric acid crystals, and he tends to get it when he eats too much turkey. It hobbles him up quite a bit for a day or two. Seems like a combination of diet and drugs is the answer, but it also seems like it could be more complicated than that, so I would rule out whatever works.

I get foot pains, so I was curious, but it ain't gout. Best of luck all.

Good wiki articles. Love wikipeida.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gout
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperuricemia

Beer cures everything. Just saying. Flushes all those impurities out, thins the blood and makes you happy. And it's over the counter and a lot cheaper than prescription meds.

Images

I snickered at it when my Mom got it when I was a teenager, How could your big toe put you out of commission? Then I got it a few times and couldn't even stand the bed sheet to touch my toe. Back then all they'd give you was the allopurinol which purges the uric acid from your blood so it can't crystallize in your joints. Later they gave puke pills thats the colchicin. Take it till you have had 12 or puke ,whichever come first and it stops the attack. I did fine with the Allopurinol long as i stayed away from organ meats like salami and pepperoni liver etc. Finialy I lost allot of weight then changed my diet to keep the weight off and now it's not a problem. Cherries work, any anti-inflammatory helps, a maintenance drug is fine. Allopurinol has a $5 generic if you don't have insurance AND it helps keep away acid type kidney stones that makes it worth it right there to me!
    good luck

Just a caution, but all that appears to be gout is not, necessarily. I have a condition known as "pseudo-gout." It's just as painful, but the crystals are not uric acid crystals. I won't go into detail, since my condition makes up a small percentage of the total cases. The treatments are all the same except that the allpurinol will not help. The usual giveaway is that the uric acid level in the blood is normal, or, in my case, very low. The usual diet changes don't work for me, but avoiding dehydration is just as important as with common gout. Since I have a kidney condition which indicates I avoid NSAIDS, I take prednisone, but not in the usual taper pack. At the outset of an attack, I take 40 mg per day for two days and then wait five days. If that doesn't do it, I increase the dosage by 20 mg per day and wait the five days again. I can repeat that pattern three times, and then I have to holler to the rheumatologist for help. I've never even had to go to the second dosage. Of course, there are many side effects associated with the stuff and I wouldn't take it, if anything else - which I could take - were effective.

It happened to me about 4 years ago. So I took the meds and it stopped. I tried the cherries with no visible change. I've stopped the meds for the last year and lightened up on dairy, red meat, salt and junk food. So far so good. Like Yaduck9 said - a better diet. INCREDIBLE how much my toe hurt one morning. I also thought I broke it. I use to think gout had something to do with pirates. Like Long John Silver. Avast matey. My gout is acting up. Little did I know.

Thanks WB’ers every time I have an issue there is some information already on the site.

A few months ago I thought I had broken my big toe, I went about 2 weeks before going to the doctor, I now know I have gout. Have some meds but have been looking for alternatives. It has me worried about my hiking future (thru-2014 planned for years) I will try the cherries and the apple cider vinegar.
    Thanks again,
    Sandy B

Let's face it a healthy diet is good for a whole host of reasons, but if you have gout take your allopurinal! Get the amount right, I'm at 300mg/day, and you will probably never have another attack. I was diagnosed back in 1972, believe me when I tell you that I've broken bones and the pain did'nt touch that of a gout attack. Take your pill and let someone else worry about home remedies!

Images

cherries or allopurinol (or newer more expensive uloric) as prevention
    avoid Pork and Beer
    colchicine or indomethacin for flares

gout so painful is thought to be a contributer to the hundred years war starting(not kidding look it up)

Doc Mike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Me too! And what superman says for meds. Since I began Allopurinol I haven't had an attack. When the first one happened I thought I had broken my big toe!
    My first attack occurred on the trail. The emergency room in Franklin, NC. diagnosed it as a staff infection.

But I've had three identical attacks in the 17 years since, each called gout. Each time the doctors precribe a pain medicine and the attack ends, usually within 24 hours or so.

I've been offered a daily medicine claimed to stop future attacks. But that strikes me as medical overkill and illustrates another of the reasons why our medical care is the most expensive in the world.

If the gout attacks become frequent, I may take the medicine. Not before.

Stop eating sugar, dairy, meat. Give it a month and see what happens.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Weary what you may not realize is even thought the uric acid level isn't high enough to cause a gout attack it can still be causing damage. So before you blame the expense of medical care you might want to check the facts. For example several years of allopurinol is cheaper than a single visit to the ER. And a lifetime supply is cheaper than a joint replacement from damage. I'm not even counting the associated pain and discomfort of the attacks.

Interesting though a lifetime supply of cherries would cost a ton of money. (lol) I love them but they are pricey at times.

Doc Mike

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Weary what you may not realize is even thought the uric acid level isn't high enough to cause a gout attack it can still be causing damage. So before you blame the expense of medical care you might want to check the facts. For example several years of allopurinol is cheaper than a single visit to the ER. And a lifetime supply is cheaper than a joint replacement from damage. I'm not even counting the associated pain and discomfort of the attacks.

Interesting though a lifetime supply of cherries would cost a ton of money. (lol) I love them but they are pricey at times.

Doc Mike
    But then wikipedia also reports:

"Side effects of allopurinol are rare, though significant when they occur. A small percentage of people develop a rash and must discontinue this drug. The most serious adverse effect is a hypersensitivity syndrome consisting of fever, skin rash, eosinophilia, hepatitis, worsened renal function and, in some cases, allopurinol hypersensitivity syndrome. Allopurinol is one of the drugs commonly known to cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TENS), two life-threatening dermatological conditions.

Allopurinol can cause severe pancytopenia if given with azathioprine or mercaptopurine, due to inhibition of xanthine oxidase which metabolizes these drugs.

Allopurinol can lower blood pressure in mild hypertension.[5]"

The latter especially worries me because my blood pressure tends to be low these days, not high. The Stevens-Johnson syndrome, though rare, is pretty serious. It essentially causes the deterioration of a very important body organ, the skin. The skin simply dies in great layers. Some victims eventually recover. Most die. It's a favorite of personal injury lawyers. Heirs of the victims sometime win great settlements.

I was diagnosed with the disease 20 years ago and to this date I have tried all of the drugs to ease the attacks. Some worked for a short time but none of them completely stopped the attacks. I do not drink alcohol or sodas or eat reach food, just "lucky , I guess"! I do not like taking any drugs for a prolonged period so I opt for the sweet , dried cherries. I eat a small handfull each morning and they really do work for me.

When the attacks come and they will , I use the John Wayne technique and allthough very painfull , I "lace it up tight" and run for a few miles. This works for me to break up the uric acid crystals and lessons the acute attack time. Yes it does hurt , but it hurts when you are sitting there too!
    My sympathies to anyone that has this ailment and for those of you that are reading about this for the first time, count yourself very fortunate that you are not one of us that do have it.

Merry Christmas to All

Weary, Doc Mike,
    Thanks for both of your opinions. I have had the pain for 3-4 months, about 2-3 on a 1-10 scale, but at times it will stop me in my tracks.
    I don’t like taking meds but will if necessary, have been treated for high PB for 4-5 years. If there is an easy remedy or stop eating something that would remove the pain (and prevent future damage) I am willing to try.
    I am active duty Navy, currently the Meds would have no direct cost to me, so it is not about saving money or not wanting to spend money.
    I do want relief, and would rather not add another pill to my daily diet.

I have read very good responses from both of you and respect both your opinions.

Sandy B

Images

If no one took meds because of serious though rare side affects the most common medicine on the trail: ibuprofen would be off limits. multiple people die each and every year from side affects of this meds which include everything from ulcers to liver failure to death. But of course hiling in itself has often though rare side affect of death or injury.

Remember don't fear the improbable when dealing with the reality. Ie I need to cross the bald, but a storm may come up and i get hit by lightning, but there is not a cloud in the sky, yes but it could and has happened. oh what to do.....better just sit in house and think about it....lol

Doc Mike

Things definitely need put in perspective

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

I tried concentrated cherry juice - now how do I get the stains off my toes?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++