WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    If no one took meds because of serious though rare side affects the most common medicine on the trail: ibuprofen would be off limits. multiple people die each and every year from side affects of this meds which include everything from ulcers to liver failure to death. But of course hiling in itself has often though rare side affect of death or injury.

Remember don't fear the improbable when dealing with the reality. Ie I need to cross the bald, but a storm may come up and i get hit by lightning, but there is not a cloud in the sky, yes but it could and has happened. oh what to do.....better just sit in house and think about it....lol

Doc Mike

Things definitely need put in perspective

Yes to paraphrase Colin Fletcher; "You may do all things to ensure a risk free life and live to a ripe old age, but when finally lying on your death bed you may realize that you have been dead for a long time."
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    If no one took meds because of serious though rare side affects the most common medicine on the trail: ibuprofen would be off limits. multiple people die each and every year from side affects of this meds which include everything from ulcers to liver failure to death. But of course hiling in itself has often though rare side affect of death or injury.

Remember don't fear the improbable when dealing with the reality. Ie I need to cross the bald, but a storm may come up and i get hit by lightning, but there is not a cloud in the sky, yes but it could and has happened. oh what to do.....better just sit in house and think about it....lol

Doc Mike

Things definitely need put in perspective
    I agree entirely, Doc Mike.

My perspective is the knowledge that "In humans Purines are excreted as uric acid. Purines are found in high amounts in animal food products, such as liver and sardines. A moderate amount of purine is also contained in beef, pork, poultry, fish and seafood, asparagus, cauliflower, spinach, mushrooms, green peas, lentils, dried peas, beans, oatmeal, wheat bran and wheat germ."

I suspect my first attack of gout on the trail was the result of eating sardines for their concentrated calories and protein, and a lot of oatmeal and wheat bran.

I don't recall what in my diet might have triggered the two or three subsequent attacks, but this discussion has prompted me to suspect that acute pain in my left knee a couple of weeks ago might have been a new attack of gout. While waiting for an appointment with an orthopedic doctor the pain went away all by itself. By then I had cancelled the appointment anyway, because some minor day surgery was happening two days earlier on a nearby body part.

Because I also have type 2 diabetes that is impacted by uric acid, levels get tested every four or five months and always seem to be within normal limits.

So therefore I don't take medicine to control uric acid. In part because I don't like to risk side effects unnecessarily. In part because I try to do what I can to reduce the extreme cost of medicine in this country. But mostly because I get acute attacks of gout so rarely it's seems best to treat them only when they arrive.

My gout attacks are indeed painful. 10s on a scale of 1-10. But they disappear by themselves after a week or so, or in a single day with powerful pain medicines.

Even a giant dose of Aleve will knock down the gout in a few hours.
    Last edited by weary; 12-20-2010 at 13:52. Reason: spelling

Gout SUCKS!!! I've been bless enough to have it since I was 23 (35 now). I didn't know what it was for years (bad Doctor diagnosis). I had surgery on my foot back in '05 and that is when I was finally told what my foot pain was from. The surgeon said that it was the worst case he had seen in anyone under the age of 70. My luck. It took me a few years to take control of it. I turned vegetarian for a while, tried the drugs, cherry juice and the only thing that has worked is drinking excess water. I was getting dehydrated on a daily basis, and that is what was causing my Gout. Not enough water in my system to flush that crap out. Now it only kicks in when I get sick. I end up staying in bed, and forgetting to drink lots of water. Did I mention that Gout sucks!
    2013 AT NOBO - 03/13/13 to 08/14/13

Images

For those that don't have Gout, it's hard to comprehend the pain. As others state above it is about the worst pain ever. When I broke my toe I thought that was bad, the gout in that toe 10 years later is at least 4 times worse.
    I have had Migraines that caused my vision to fade that only hurt slightly more than a bad gout attack. Literally my toe hurts all the way up to my hip.

Migraine sufferers can relate, how many times have you been told: "Oh, you only have a headache, just take a few aspirin & it'll go away!"? Yep, aspirin works as well on gout as it do a migraine.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Diet plays a big factor. You should avoid shellfish, rich meats - especially organs like liver - incomplete proteins, and alcohol. Also take Vitamin E and B supplements. When it comes to attack - take Ibuprofen or Naproxen, and Colchicine. If your doctor has not tried Colchicine for you, I suggest you ask about it. And right shoes.

Gout can also effect your lungs. Shollow breathing can lead to lower oxygen saturation levels in the blood causing it to become acidic and can lead to uric acid build up, gout. If you have asthma, copd, or another breathing disorder you may be predisposed to gout. Often gout attacks happens upon wakiking and that big toe hitting the floor, sleep apnea is another one that cause low blood oxygen levels to rise, so in addition to diet, it not completely controlled by diet. As others have already said in the thread the drugs used to treat it have always helped me kick an attack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++