WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Newbie question: Bears on Maryland section of AT?

I plan on hiking some of the Maryland section of the AT next week (somewhere between Harpers ferry and Deer lick shelter in PA). I've only hiked on these parts of the AT twice before and I've never felt like I had to worry about bears. Is it standard procedure to hang a bear bag in these areas? would anyone recommend doing so or is it a non-issue?

Thanks!
    -Dennis

Images

Some folks do it religiously, some folks never do. I personally generally hang the bag if I can find a convenient branch within a minute of looking. If not, I just sleep with it.

Thanks

I suppose it would be worthwhile to learn the PCT bear bag method- this trip should be good practice. I guess I just dont want to look like an idiot trying to figure it out- especially if I'm the only person even bothering to put up a bear bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dnasuta View Post
    I guess I just dont want to look like an idiot trying to figure it out- especially if I'm the only person even bothering to put up a bear bag.
    Do what makes you comfortable....and don't worry what others think !!!

Images

Thanks

I suppose it would be worthwhile to learn the PCT bear bag method- this trip should be good practice. I guess I just dont want to look like an idiot trying to figure it out- especially if I'm the only person even bothering to put up a bear bag.

It's really not that difficult, and it's very easy if there are bear cables erected in the shelters. The only time you'll feel stupid is if you can't seem to throw the weight over the branch on the 20th try. Otherwise, people really aren't going to care. HYOH.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post
    Some folks do it religiously, some folks never do. I personally generally hang the bag if I can find a convenient branch within a minute of looking. If not, I just sleep with it.

You won't sleep any longer with it if you ask Chaco Taco what just happened to him...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks

Hey I did the ATin '07 - my son though hung the bear bag, but now that I'm sectioning I had to do it myself and wow I really looked like an idiot trying to toss that rock or piece of wood with the line attached! My hiking friend had a good laugh.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I go up to the maryland section 2-3 times a month and have never seen a bear. Not to say they could be there just never seen one. Have not heard any food bags being munch on except by field mice. There was a raccoon that attempt to mate with The Phoenix but other than the encounter there is not much to say or been seen.
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Thanks for the advice everyone- this is about what I expected- I'll probably try to hang one just for the experience but I'm not too worried now.
    -Dennis

I hung my bag last weekend and had a big hole in it the next morning from a rat/mouse.
    First time ever, but I was near a shelter and I usually sleep in a hammock away from shelters. There are problems with all methods. I now double ziplop my food and just hang it away from my sleeping spot off a low hanging limb. When my wife comes along, we camp at shelters due to the tent requirement and had to stop at a shelter this time.

Images

Just get into the practice of leaving your food outside your tent. Hang it in a nearby tree, thats all. Hiked the Jersey section of the trail last week and bears were everywhere.

Hang your food. Bears are not a problem unless you are stupid.

sleep with your food and you'll keep it

I hiked from PenMar-Harpers Ferry 2 weeks ago & did not see any bears. There were bear warnings at Dalgren campground. I slept in my tent 2 nights & shelter 1 night. Did not hang up my food with no problems.

++ New Posts ++