WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Hundreds of thru-hikers may disagree

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,...914857,00.html

Personally, I think it is another cop out for people to justify not exercising.

Golly gee..ya mean if I run 3 miles I CAN'T have a pizza ?!?!!

DUH!

"More calories out and less calories in" is how to lose weight at its most basic level. Pretty simple overall.

More than weight loss, exercise is important for overall health. Many people who are otherwise thin have no muscle tone and a higher body fat percentage than people who may be larger and exercise regularly.

Anyway... if you can't guess it, I disagree with this article.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

But you just ate skinless chicken and broccoli.........
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I think the crux of the study they cited is that those who exercised more also ate more --for whatever reason -- as a reward or because it made them hungrier. LD hiking is not a proper measure because no regular person has 6-9 hours a day to exercise. A LD hikers metabolism by VA has got to be off the charts. So, really, the study doesn't say that exercise doesn't matter. It is, as you say, calories in and calories out. It just seemed from the study that those who exercised also ate more, cancelling out the weight loss effects of the exercise.
    Yahtzee

Geezer

self-control is like a muscle: it weakens each day after you use it.
    Self-control is not like a muscle at all. Why would they say something this dumb? Or is an AYCE buffet like a charley horse? A fast like a torn muscle? Silly.

And since when does exercising a muscle makes it weaker?
    Frosty

Images

output must be greater than input! simple.

Images

there is a sign at my gym that says, "proper nutrition is 80% of your fitness goal!" unfortunatly most people put 100% effort into the workout and 0% into proper diet and nutrition! thats just poor math! :/

Images

Mags met a healthy babe. Neener. Neener.

She got you doing pushups there punkin boy?

Next thing you know, he'll shave regularly and have a soul patch.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post

She got you doing pushups there punkin boy?

Next thing you know, he'll shave regularly and have a soul patch.
    When ever a guy makes a change there is always a woman "suggesting" it.

Images

No sense even pretending you thought of it yourself.

Images

About 3 and half years ago, I took up running to lose weight, get healthy and such.
    I was about 25# overweight by the charts.
    At first I didn't watch what I ate so my junk food consumption and consumption in general increased.
    Still, I lost weight just very slowly and as the weight dropped -even more slowly.
    I agree with the article's assessment that energy distribution such as LD hiking is the best way for a body to reach an optimal form.
    But, most people can't work in this society and maintain that energy distribution profile.
    Not only that we, in just a coupe generations ,have switch from eating "food to food products" which seem to increase appetite and craving rather than satisfy hunger and provide a health nutrient profile.
    Overall I agree that just exercise will not fix your weight problem, but I think most people are looking for a quick fix so they can maintain the their Twinkie habit -I was.
    It didn't work unless you're satisfied with losing slightly less than a pound per month on average.
    To get shed of my last few extra pounds I've been limiting the amount of food products and generally food seems to be more satisfying without having to eat all the time.
    Exercise is not the whole solution, but it's a critical part.
    The article seems to suggest that since exercise by itself doesn't work well, its not worth the trouble.
    That's a "junk food" approach to critical thinking.

Images

Genetics has more to do with it than excersise does. Here's an example (hopefully won't regret this one) but during slavery the the owners would go out into the quaters and choose the strongest male and female and make them produce a child. After a few hundred years of this type of genetic manipulation we now have very strong black men who have excellent build and basically rule every sport known to man. At least in the States. Same goes for everyone though, and this generation is being exposed to more and more high sugars and empty calories where as the previous generation (WWII generation) ate very salt and fatty foods. Wake up early, don't skip breakfast, avoid fast food, work with your hands. . you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Genetics has more to do with it than excersise does. Here's an example (hopefully won't regret this one) but during slavery the the owners would go out into the quaters and choose the strongest male and female and make them produce a child. After a few hundred years of this type of genetic manipulation we now have very strong black men who have excellent build and basically rule every sport known to man. At least in the States. Same goes for everyone though, and this generation is being exposed to more and more high sugars and empty calories where as the previous generation (WWII generation) ate very salt and fatty foods. Wake up early, don't skip breakfast, avoid fast food, work with your hands. . you'll be fine.
    How do you know that the genes selected were for "strong" rather than "likes to excersise a lot"?

I'm with MAGS on this one, yes a thru hiker is not a realistic comparison because no one has 9 hours/day to exercise, but a couple of hours/day of intense exercise will. I went from 225 to 155 in the army, and I ate like a pig three meals a day. I did gain 10 or so back once basic and AIT were over, but stayed at 165 for 3 years just through morning and evening physical training. Of course we marched everywhere, but that was only 3 or 4 miles/day. If you run 3-4 miles and walk 3-4 miles every day along with 1/2 hour or so of strength training, you can pretty much eat what you like and keep the weight off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Have you researched this? Can you provide a source?
    Hi. I'm Bacon, he's Hot Dogs, and we're here for the Mountain Dew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,...914857,00.html

Personally, I think it is another cop out for people to justify not exercising.

Golly gee..ya mean if I run 3 miles I CAN'T have a pizza ?!?!!

DUH!

"More calories out and less calories in" is how to lose weight at its most basic level. Pretty simple overall.

More than weight loss, exercise is important for overall health. Many people who are otherwise thin have no muscle tone and a higher body fat percentage than people who may be larger and exercise regularly.

Anyway... if you can't guess it, I disagree with this article.
    Well, this is seldom the case, but you are flat-out wrong Mags. The article summed it all up in the last two paragraphs when it quoted Gary Taubes' book. People who eat lean meats and veggies (read Zone/Paleo Diets) and do interval type exercise (read Crossfit) don't have a weight problem... period.

The guy has belly fat because he has a poorly controlled insulin level, this is a direct result of WHAT he eats.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Just Dan View Post
    Have you researched this? Can you provide a source?
    Of course he can't. It's just racist crap. Slavery lasted 200 years in this country, not several hundreds. Not enough generations to make a significant difference, plus to affect genetics, sexual pairings would have to be very carefully controlled to make sure that each generation only mated with other controlled offspring, and that wasn't the case. Slaves lived in their own quarters. Plantation owners didn't have the inclination, time or resources to do what Mendeleyev did.
    Frosty

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not going to get into what I read above,

I spent a lot of money going to a very well known weight loss center, and kept if off thirty pounds or more for more than ten years. Three meals a day. a Orange or apple with breakfast or lunch, a fruit/oatmeal bar between meals and several vitamins a day. No exercise, no fasting In fact I actually ate more and there was a lot of lean breast of chicken involved for dinner. One on One meetings three or two times a week and it all really does come off, (quickly)

Genetics - hmmm no, other than huge changes to eating... well documented is the introduction of pork to Hawaii and they subsequent problems to the indigious people there.

L. A. Weightloss.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Of course he can't. It's just racist crap. Slavery lasted 200 years in this country, not several hundreds. Not enough generations to make a significant difference, plus to affect genetics, sexual pairings would have to be very carefully controlled to make sure that each generation only mated with other controlled offspring, and that wasn't the case. Slaves lived in their own quarters. Plantation owners didn't have the inclination, time or resources to do what Mendeleyev did.
    It's not uncommon knowledge. Just go talk to a knowledgable historian. What? Did you try to google that and couldn't find anything? My family has letters, books, and writings from our ancestors even before they set sailed for the new world. Why would you call me a racist because I stated a fact?

Images

I'm not racist man I don't have to say it either, I live it. I don't think you quite know who your talking too. The point was though that genetics plays a large role in how we manage weight and no single plan is applicable to a mass of people.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Well, this is seldom the case, but you are flat-out wrong Mags.
    To quote the article " moderately strenuous activity like walking while carrying groceries."

And, safe to say, both you and I disagree with that statement...aye? Otherwise you wouldn't be advocating CrossFit.

My pizza comment was sarcasm. Health diet AND exercise is the key to health. It takes both..all exercise and crap eating is not a good long term health goal. Conversely, no exercise and good eating ain't good either. And, I think, you and I agree on that.

(For long backpacks, I still eat like crap. The caloric intake does not meet he caloric output..but that;s another thread)

I think the article is just yet another excuse for people not to exercise.

After all the title is "
    Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

Again, something we both obviously disagree about.

Met her well into my current phase. My buddy is down to what he weighed in boot camp...at 37 yo. I can't let him top me like that.

But you just ate skinless chicken and broccoli.

It was in the humor thread. Look up the word "stronz". A useful word I know from back home. Describes people without humor and/or comprehension such as yourself.
    Last edited by Mags; 08-08-2009 at 20:39.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++