WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    There have 14 to 17 creek fordings and 1 long river ford in this past section. The water was cold but low. The trail down from Shortoff Mtn. is the worst mile and a half of my life. The trail is overgrown with thorny bushes and has dead trees blocking the path all over. I got cut up, my clothes got ripped, I cussed the entire time and promised that would never hike that stretch again, unless someone goes out to clean it up. I have complained about that section for the past 2 years.

Anyway, looking forward to getting over Mt. Mitchell and catching up with Chaco Taco. Scott Wales has become a great hiking partner. He has hiked around 30 or more miles with me. He plans to catch up with me again on Tuesday. The last time he joined me, he nearly had to push me along the trail. It is gettting harder to motivate myself keep going sometimes. I don't like cold weather and I am feeling fatigue. However, my determination to finish this journey is more than enough.

Thanks to everybody who has supported and encouraged me along the way. My finish date is now October 18th.

Taba
    I sent the notice in on your initial thru. Found out that Outward Bound maintains that section. Since it is a Linville Gorge trail, it is under adopter's responsibility. So we might have to call Pisgah office in Nebo for customer service.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default In Asheville

I am now in Asheville with only 135 more miles to go. I will summit Clingman's Dome on October 18th. I will try to find a computer in between here and there to give another update.

If there is anybody out there between Asheville and Gatlinburg who woud like to help me finish I could use your support. The last few days have been cold and rainy and I hear that it will be more of the same from here on out. If you would like to help please call me at 561-319-2564. If I don't answer please leave me a message. There have been a lot of people from this site who have helped out along the way and I can't thank them enough. This trip has been long and challenging to both mind and body but worth every minute. Even though I constsantly complained through some sections.

Thanks again,
    Taba

Default 5 days from the end

I made it to Waynesville before the rain started. I am now 53 miles from the finish. Rain is expected for the next 4 days and will then clear up for my summit day. I will be on top of Clingman's Dome on the 18th. This trip has been a lot of fun, and has also been a real challenge. I have accumulated a lot of information to update the eastbound version of the Manual and have the work done for a westbound version. Both Manuals will be out by February in time for next year's hiking season. Now to run to the finish line.

Taba

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    I made it to Waynesville before the rain started. I am now 53 miles from the finish. Rain is expected for the next 4 days and will then clear up for my summit day. I will be on top of Clingman's Dome on the 18th. This trip has been a lot of fun, and has also been a real challenge. I have accumulated a lot of information to update the eastbound version of the Manual and have the work done for a westbound version. Both Manuals will be out by February in time for next year's hiking season. Now to run to the finish line.

Taba
    I will pass the finish line info on.

Just now take a real vacation afterwards.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I am back in Waynesville for one more night. I have gotten to Soco Gap and within 39 miles from the finish line. I am so ready to go home. It has been wet and cold with no views other than the whiteness of the cloud I have been walking through. I spent most of today above 5,000 feet and got close to 6,000 near Waterrock Knob. Tomorrow I will be just inside the Smokies and will be done with the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Taba

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++