WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default stealth site near Mt Wolf?

I am planning a section hike from Hanover NH to Gorham NH (planning on 15 hiking days) starting Aug 23, and my problem is that I need to hike from Glencliff to Franconia in 2 days to meet a friend after overnighting in N. Woodstock. I have sectioned all since Springer, and appreciate the NH trail will be tougher terrain. I originally was planning to hike to Elizabrook Shelter the first night and then have a shorter day the 2nd day to Franconia and to town, but from reading journals it appears the descent to Kinsman notch is steep enough that I will most likely not make it to Elizabrook the first night. I would guess I will make Beaver Brook by early afternoon, so would rather not stop there leaving a long 2nd day starting with a tough downhill to start. Splitting the distance between the two shelters as a stoping point seems like the logical thing to do, but was wondering if there is a stealth campsite somewhere close to or at the summit of Mt Wolf?? I have read of stealthing just beyond Kinsman notch, but if there are sites further on, would probably go a few more miles to shorten the 2nd day's hike. Any help would be appreciated.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Images

Cutman,

Good to see you are continuing north!! I did this same hike from Glencliff to Eliza Brook shelter in '06. It's about 17 miles and ended up a long day. But, very doable in GOOD weather.

I did that section 2 years ago. I don't recall a specific site in that area, but I am sure you can find a suitable spot to pitch a tent.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

actually...there is. cant remember the exact location, but its about 20 yards off the trail to the left if you are nobo (I think before the summit). its a bit concave and only enough room for a small 2-man tent, and there is no water, but that's where we stayed going through that area.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

There is a spot near the road near Rt 112 we stayed at a few years back. Plus there is a small lake a few hundred yards down the road. Elixa Brook shelter would be 7 miles away. The Mt. Wolf area is swampy but you could bushwack a site although relaible water will be an issue most of the way to Eliza Brook. The same holds true from there to Kinsman Pond. If you get on the trail early at Glencliff, you should be at Rt 112 by late morning and you can make Eliza Brook by dinner. the only really tough part would be coming down the Beaver Brook trail , after that it is fairly level into Eliza Brook.
    I recall it be about 14 miles

++ New Posts ++