WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11

Edited my above post to say, that it would be a better choice to hike that first week by myself in a more populated area......

Images

I thoroughly understand the argument against dogs....the man at my family's hunting camp lets his dog in our cabin and sit there slobbering all over us begging for scraps when we're eating, and trying to jump in our laps when we're watching tv....I hate it. BUT on the trail, I never met anyone who let their dog(s) do any annoying or disrespectful thing. That's the thing about MOST Thru-hikers, atleast the ones I've met. They're cool people!

When I first started the trail, I had my little 10 lbs. dog on a leash, so when she had to poop she'd stop right in her tracks and poop on the trail....every time I stopped, took off my pack, got out my little shovel, scooped it all up, went about 20 yards off the trail, and buried it. By the time I got to VA, I stopped leashing her and she knew to stay right behind me at all times, except when she had to poop, she'd run well off the trail and poop. I'd follow, and dig out a hole and knock the poop in. And as far as being in shelters go, She slept in one every time I did, but she was IN my sleeping bag at all times. No one ever even knew I had a dog until morning time when it was time to stuff my sleeping bag back in my pack. I carried all her food, high calorie snacks, and dog bowl. Everyone loved her. And she loved every second she was out there on the trail...not that hard to see..man every dog I saw on the trail was grinning, wagging their tails, and loving life. The only stuff I got tired of hearing was "Poor thing, your dog is too little for this trail!", "You're gonna have to carry her soon, she won't make it up them rocks!", "How much do you have to carry that poor dog?", etc, etc.... They were all misjudging her by her size. But she rocked!! They were all WRONG!

Look, I saw ALOT of dogs on the trail. None of them bothered me ever, and I have never been one to tolerate much from dogs....I have always been more of a cat person. But dogs belong outside...that's their territory...it's so fitting for them to be out there. They love it. And as long as the owner isn't taking a dog that is seriously dangerous, or is seriously incapable of having some manners around others, THE AT IS BY NO MEANS A PLACE TO BAN DOGS FROM!! That's just crazy talk peoples! Lay down some ground rules, okay. But don't ban them. Seriously crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    A lot of ATC folks have never spent a night in a shelter with an untrained and wet dog.
    Thinking back, I'm sure that there are still plenty of ATC folks who have never spent the night in a shelter, finding the crowding, snoring, body odor and constant flatulence far less acceptable than the company of a dog. And plenty of drunken/stoned hikers have surely urinated on the personal gear of others. The chronically underfunded have made a nuisance of themselves mooching or outright stealing food anywhere you chose to stay. I have never through hiked and learned early on while section hiking in Virginia that shelters are the rural equivalent of convenience store dumpsters and that many hikers need to do as the late Mr Tarlin suggested for dogs, just stay home.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11
++ New Posts ++