WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Default your dog is ready for a thruhike when....

he fakes being lazy but the word hike, even if spelled out, gets him in a tilly.
    he sleeps with his nose in your hiking boot
    he has ramman breath when you come home

and the number one way to know if hes ready to go thruhiking is,....

stands by the door if you even post on whiteblaze.

Images

It would be fun to hike with a dog but too much work.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

My best friend has a boston terrier which he is convinced is "trail ready" . although he is in physical shape, manners are the important thing when hiking with a dog, especially around shelter. How do you know when he is ready though? take him on an extended shakedown and see how he reacts. I would agree tho: nearly all dogs are not properly trained to hike 2100 miles with other people. a horse yes, a dog, probably not.

I think people misunderstand and underestimate the endurance and mental reliance of vigorous physical activity of the dog. They are a traveling, mile-racking animal by nature. This is, of course, considering only the nautrally built dog, not the Pekingnese or pug of course lol...and each dog is an individual with different endurance levels. But most dogs thrive with multiple miles of challenging exercise every single day and with correct training and maintenance I see no problem with the correctly trained and bred dog thru-hiking the AT.

i always find the dog threads entertaining - poorly trained dogs (owners) are problems whether on a lease or not. dogs that bite should be "put down". if you are afraid to say "no" when asked if someone's dog can sleep in the shelter or if he can play his harmonica poorly-you probably do not have enough backbone to carry your pack. as to shelters, they are nasty enough without somebodies wet dog.

having said that i have my dog with me all the time on the AT and other trails in virginia and except in highly populated areas or by roads, he is not on lease. i will lease him when others approach as many people are uncomfortable or scared of larger dogs. also, except in a few areas of virginia (urban areas and certain federal lands) the law (no state law on the subject only local ordinances) does not require my dog to be leased (typical language excludes dogs while hunting, dogs while training to hunt and dogs under control). when i elect to lease my dog, when i make my dog sleep outside the shelter (always - even when alone), i do it as a matter of curtesy, not because of some legal obligation.

Preach it!

Registered User Diet Orange Soda's Avatar

Has anyone had experience with Ausralian Sheppards on the trail. We raise them and I am considering training one to go hiking with me.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wrong. some people are afraid of dogs no matter how frienly you think he is. a courteous owner would never stay in a shelter
    Agreed 100% I had a Collie who has now been dead for 13 years that I took on some short day hikes with me but I would NEVER take a dog on a long hike...NO I'm NOT a dog hater....I love dogs and I loved my Collie more than any human woman I have ever known (in a different way of course) And LW is 100% right.....It is NOT correct to say that if you and your dog were at a shelter first and others came later and they don't like it they should leave. The trail shelters were constructed for PEOPLE ..NOT dogs ..period....Besides, A few times my Collie would become scared at VERY STEEP pitches and I would have to carry her down...LOL.. I always wondered why that was the case...after all..she had "4 foot drive", was low to the ground and I only had 2 feet and already a back pack to carry, then had to carry a 90 pound Collie down slopes so steep I had to dig n with my heels and lean back with this big heavy and hairy "baby" in my arms....Many dogs (my Collie included) are VERY well behaved and bother no one..BUT...the bottom line is that many people just don't want them around.....

Thumbs down

I leave my dog at home. Please do not ask me to sleep with your dog. Mine might get jealous.

the question is if U are ready to hiked with your dog ? I haven't seen many happy dogs on a long distance hike... your dog has to be the leader and you shld know how to read just about everything that is going on with them. bring your compassion and conscience... thy are WAY more important than anything in your pack

if you are hiking with a dog they should be allowed to freaking sleep with you. They deserve that from their owner.. which means NO shelters. Don't sleep in a shelter and ask your dog to sleep out. When my dogs go with me or did she slept in my sleeping bag . She did the miles too and deserved the comfort .

Journal Entries

So glad I stumbled across this one, I am planning on taking my dog on the AT this spring. I completely agree that she shouldn't be in a shelter if it is being used by many people, but I don't mind asking if it is one or two other people. My thought is she is probably actually CLEANER thank most people. She cleans herself (yes like a cat) and is on medicine like frontline that kills ticks and other bugs where as I just attract the hell out of them. There are mice and other things I would prefer not to think about in those shelters too, a dog would only keep them at bay at best. And mice are covered with worse things than ticks.
    As for the begging during cooking, it may sound cruel but my dog has no business being near my food or anyone else's, she has her own. I think it would only be considerate if the dog does not stay away to have it go on a night walk at that time.
    I love the list of if your dog is or is not ready for the trail. The main point I would argue is what someone else argued already... If you don't want the dog in the shelter say "No". I understand you don't want to be the "Bad" person but you are on the same trail, doing the same thing, then you deserve the same rights. So if you don't say "no" that's your choice.
    My right foot is to make the Right Moves, my left foot is for Style. Man I'm so jealous of all you two left feet people... Style (possibly unique) all the way!

I'm new to the forum and the lifestyle of the hiker. This is my first comment btw. I plan on doing a 2011 Hike thru. I have read the entire posting and found much information and humor (-mostly at the expense of others' ignorance) about the subject. I am a self proclaimed dog lover. My friends and co-workers call me the dog whisperer (not warranted) I would love to take my dog. She is well trained and has an amazing demeanor. (chocolate lab/weimaraner mix)
    I agree that irresponsible owners of poorly trained dogs give us all a bad rap. It's very unfortunate. I'm not certain my beloved baby-girl will be coming with me on the trail. She is ready in all the qualifiers that was in the original post. I'm just not sure the owner (taking on the AT hike-thru as his first real hiking experience) Is qualified to jeopardize the life and well being of his dog. To address the issue of the shelter. I've seen many shelters. They are not the health dept's #1 pick for clean dining or lodging.
    I wouldn't use a shelter if she comes with me unless a dire situation warrants the use. The rules clearly state that I can. As for hurt feelings? I would do my best to ensure everyone has the best hiking experience possible. If someone is unreasonable and expects my dog and I to sleep in blizzard conditions because they're afraid of dogs. I'll bring along an extra box of kleenex's for you. I'm shocked that such individuals would be in the woods??? I will absolutely take into consideration the comfort of others, but I will speak up about my own. If I hurt your feelings along the trail, just ask for a hug. I like hugs.

@ Tiny Dancer...My weimaraner and I have hiked the AT now for 7 Years(I live on it) 3 times ALL THE WAY a dog can go(No GSMNP/Baxter) He has a decidedly better demeanor than half the people I come across and is DEFF cleaner than 80% of the people...NEVER sleep in a shelter... He walks behind me at ALL times, and last year out of 117 days, was never on a leash while we were on the trail... Around others while camping at night, I would put him on a gentle Leader if someone asked... No one ever did... If ur dog is well adjusted, just like anyone else, it won't be necessary... AND ur campin' buds will think ur hound is cool... Can't tell you how many people shared their food with him... NO, he wasn't begging... You would share ur food with someone else, why not him??? Managing ur dogs nutrition on the trail was the hardest for me to figure out... But you know what??? He likes the same things I do... As soon as I came to grips with that, piece of cake... I could tell you a million things more... @ lordofthewings... ur soooo gettin' a hug

@ Toli-I so hope I see you. I love hugs. I know it's hard to convey one's sense of humor on the internet, I hope my mine doesn't get me in trouble or buried in a well. "It puts the lotion on it's skin or it gets the hose again"

Default chocolates

I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone. I like this particular article It gives me an additional input on the information around the world Thanks a lot and keep going with posting such information.
    ======================

chocolates

dogs belong in shelters anytime there invited and only until someone objects. they make any shelter better. dogs that beg dont belong on earth. dogs that bite must be put down. dogs must be on a leash at all times for the peace of mind of scardy cats. dogs must never be allowed to drink from the waters edge. dog poop must be found and burried with religious tennasity. not hydrating or feeding your dog properly or overwalking him is an insult to all who must watch the dog suffer and then feel compelled to get mad and feed and water your dog themselves. a not so uncommon exsperience. dogs whose packs are ill adjusted, loaded or fitted are a cruelty you subject everyone to feel bad about. the AT is dog friendly. the most common wrong a dog owner does is letting an unleashed dog run ahead to frighten a child or get sprayed by a skunk.unleashed dogs run back and forth compileing dozens of extra miles per day hurting themselves.
    matthewski

a good dog well trained and with its kind master cannot and will not ever under any circumstances be tempted to chase a skunk or charge a child. well behaved dogs are loyal and act in a manner reflecting their owners bent. even when the most well trained dog is allowed off its leash to run ahead, it could still be gotten by a bear. it could still startle someone. and it could loose you if you become lost and turned around or injured while traveling behind it. a dog running ahead is also a target of theft by lureing into a vehicle if it pops out on a roadhead alone and freindly and thirsty and hungry.
    matthewski

Bottom line--- leave the dog at home.

I had one of the most miserable times on a hiking trip because my friend decided to bring his dog at the last minute, on a 2 week hiking trip. The thing chased animals like it had never seen one... often times making us leave the path to go find the thing in the woods. It barked and howled at night, and pi**ed on the tent more times than I can count. It's not the dogs fault, but it would have been awesome if I didn't have to help babysit something that shouldn't have been on the trail in the first place.

Also, the stink of a wet dog ( or even a dirty unbathed dog) in a 10x6 shelter is something people just shouldnt be subjected to. No one wants to be the jerk and ask someone to not let a dog in the shelter. I got myself a hammock so my tent wouldn't smell like pee again.
    Last edited by Derek81pci; 04-07-2011 at 05:03.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++