WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Why is Superman/Winter's article not in this section? Why is Jack the only 'expert' in the dog section?
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    you would almost bet??? so you've never slept in a shelter with a dog? but you've slept in shelters with mice and rats...
    I like dogs but I prefer mice and rats for several reasons. None have ever bitten me and even if they did, their owners would not then immediately tell me "he's never done that before". They are very quiet. When they are missing their owners do not stumble around shelters all night calling for them. They have never wiped their muddy feet on my sleeping bag, when they cross it they leave no trace. As far as I know no one has ever brought one into a shelter on purpose, knowing it would piss off others.

We could probably use a better subforum heading here, but this is not the released articles section. This subforum is for peer review of submitted articles. Anyone wanting to write a counter article or something deemed better is also free to write one up and submit it here.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    We could probably use a better subforum heading here, but this is not the released articles section. This subforum is for peer review of submitted articles. . .
    Then why does it show on WB's main page with the rest of the released articles?
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Then why does it show on WB's main page with the rest of the released articles?
    I didn't know it was doing that. I think it is because it was originally put there but had not been vetted yet. I moved it because it hadn't gone through the review process that was set up, it went from a suggestion straight to the released articles section. Right now it is not in the released articles section. It could use a further comment period, a competing article, or perhaps a collaboration with another author. Since you are one of the dog forum mods TS, perhaps you can solicit some help in getting something like that done.

The Articles forum set up is different than the other oforums, but I will try to figure out why it still links to this article on the homepage. I will also talk to the other admins about the Article submission process.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Probably can. In the meantime, thanks for moving the article.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

I don't think a dog has any business sleeping in a shelter unless there are no other occupants and the hiker/dog are willing to move if someone shows up (yep, just move, without putting the new arrival on the spot for permission to stay). But a well behaved dog might be OK tied up using a short leash near a shelter while its master puts up a tent, filters water, cooks dinner, etc. Then the dog would spend the night with the owner who is tenting, tarping, etc.

Jack is right. 95% of dogs should not be on a long hike (as lengthy as an AT thru-hike, for sure). But a much lower percentage could do well on a small portion of a thru-hike in many places the AT is routed, a section hike of two to four weeks, or weekend excursions.

In this article, aside from canine behavioral issues, the best questions are those put to the hiker himself or herself. Topping the list would be those having to do with putting a dog's needs ahead of the hiker's.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    you would almost bet??? so you've never slept in a shelter with a dog? but you've slept in shelters with mice and rats...
    that's not the point here, i think i need to stay respectful of others and my dog.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up How to tell if your dog is ready.

Like most articles by Jack he knows what he is talking about. I as a past thru-hiker and have to agree, totaly, with his post.
    Most want to be thru-hikers who include a dog tremendously limit their ability to finish a thru. Without a dog the odds are 2 in 10 will finish. With a dog it's probably more like 1 in 20.
    Most folks who comment in favor of bring a dog on the trail have not spent long lenghts of time hiking the AT. Without doing that they have probably not experienced dogs in the water soarce, tracking mud and water into a shelter, barking at night, getting into hikers food, peeing a tent or sleeping bag or snaping at hikers. All of these happened to me on my thru-hike.
    I am not an anti dog person. Most of my life I have owned one. I also thru-hiked with a wounderful dog, in 2001, named Marvin the Wounder Dog and his considerate owner.
    Grampie-N->2001

Wow. This is getting contentious, which is too bad. A few quick comments:

I'm not anti-dog, I'm not "negative" about dogs, I don't dislike dogs. The people I live with just got two Jack Russell terrier pups and I've spent a great deal of time with them in the last few weeks. They're a blast.

So please, spare me the "You hate dogs so your comments are worthless!" remarks. I don't hate them, I never have, and don't have a problem with them.

I do however feel that they are frequently a problem on the Trail, and when this happens, I don't blame the dog, I instead blame the owner. A "bad dog" problem on the Trail is almost invariably an OWNER problem, but if some folks get overly defensive about this and want to interpret my comments as being anti-dog, well there is isn't much I can do about it. Calling someone names like "dog hater!" helps detract from the simple truth that most people who choose to hike with a dog either don't know or worse, don't particularly care how the presence of their dog impacts other people.

Also, someone wondered about who appointed me to be dog "expert" here. Well, nobody did. I certainly didn't. And my comments here weren't originally meant to be "expert" advice and weren't even originally meant to be an article. I posted the comments on another thread; several folks suggested that the comments would make for a good article; website administrators very kindly asked if they could use the comments for that purpose.

I said sure.

So no, my comments were never meant to be the last word or any sort of "expert" commentary." They were merely meant to provoke discussion and dialogue.

That being said, I stand by my original comments. I have known many Trail dogs, and contrary to what some folks have said, I've hiked many miles with dogs, and had a greqat time doing so. There are many Trail dogs that are a joy to be around, partly because they are great animals and partly because they have wonderful, considerate, and caring owners.

That being said, the majority of dogs I've encountered on the Trail would be better off at home, both for their own sakes, and for the sakes of those who end up sharing the Trail with them.

And saying this makes one neither "negative" or a dog hater.

You know your dog is ready for a long hike when he's eaten all the neighborhood cats. . .

Default need to be well trained

I have a couple of dogs and have taken them out for hikes but have found their comfort level with day hikes. They seem to be uneasy with a new place to sleep every night and react poorly to noises and movements of other hikers. Gotta tent for the benefit of other hikers. Also while walking all day on uneven rocks their paws can get raw and you have to watch that. That being said I have hiked with freinds and their dogs that were a great team and it was an amazing bond between them. Just north of Erwin in '04 a dog named Niagara, a black lab I think, was determined to have me for dinner and kept after me for a couple of clicks. Really the only thing I worry about are farm dogs and dogs living off the land. And Niagara.

Default curious

First off i do agree with the things you are saying that a dog that does not listen or the owner that just assumes their dog is a human should not even be on the trail on the first place...

But im curious about your opinion to this...I have a little of 2 year old golden retriever that i never use a leash on unless its going into petsmart. I plan on bringing him on my section hike of about 415 miles. He is well trained listens to my every word and does not bother people if i do not let him. He is very friendly and just an all around great dog who just loves life.

Do you have any tips or precautions to take while bringing my dog along?

Images

Default ATC's Hiking with Dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Baltomorescorner View Post
    Do you have any tips or precautions to take while bringing my dog along?
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site..._with_Dogs.htm

i have already read that multiple times I was looking for other opinions. But thank you I do appreciate it

:banana Doggin' It

Although I have yet to hike the trail, I do have some problems with what people are saying...

"hikers dream of hiking all day, dogs dream of sleeping all day." This is the dumbest thing I have ever read... you must not have a dog! or if you do it is a lazy breed (which there are some) Most dogs love to be outside and when looking some different types of dogs in this country, most are NOT getting enough excercise and get in to trouble. Such is the case with pit-bulls, boxers, and any hearding dog. These dogs would have a much easier time with the hike then the fittest human you could find.

Now as for the shelters.... I do agree that an owner and his dog should spend most of their time in a tent, very much so if the dog is wet and/or not trained well. But to talk about a dog not being as clean when you have hikers who have not showered weeks is a bit silly. As long as the owner checks for ticks and other creatures then the dog is cleaner than an unshowered human. I think that if an owner and their dog get to a shelter and people arrive after it is not up to the owner to ask premission... others can always move on if they dont like it.... did we somehow forget that this is a free country and we are after all OUTDOORS!!!!!

When talking about in town of off the trail ... I agree with everything said. Do not go looking for special treatment when you were the one who brought the dog along.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by SOBO 2011 View Post
    I think that if an owner and their dog get to a shelter and people arrive after it is not up to the owner to ask premission... others can always move on if they dont like it.
    wrong. some people are afraid of dogs no matter how frienly you think he is. a courteous owner would never stay in a shelter

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wrong. some people are afraid of dogs no matter how frienly you think he is. a courteous owner would never stay in a shelter
    This seems like a simple concept but people seem to have trouble understanding it. If you hike the AT with your dog you should have the mind set and the goal that you and your dog are not there to diminish other peoples hike. It avoids a whole raft of situations and potential complaints by bringing and using a tent away from shelters. IMHO

Going North from Springer Mtn., how far can I hike with my dog, before I am forced to take her off the trail?
    Better to dare mighty things, win glorious triumphs, than take rank with those who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Images

Basically, Fontana Dam.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++