WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Try Half Dome in Yosemite in a day. Makes Katahdin seem like a walk in the Park.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Personally..I just hike....Who cares how many miles in a day? I don't. I much prefer to take my time. To each his own. As far as someone telling someone "You're only 50."..well.....every one is entitled to his or her own opinion as to at what age they wish to or wish not to slow down. When did backpacking become a competition anyway? If you wanta race with others who wanta race go to the Olympics...If I had the time and the finances I'd take a thru hike leaving around November at Springer and hit Katadin around October. That would allow pleny of time for r and r and to do some blue blaze hiking to enjoy the scenery and sights instead of blowing past it all so I could say.."Hey..I hiked the AT in just blah, blah, blah and so and so took 4 days longer........Who cares? Many people are just too critical of other's hiking. I don't care if you do it in 2 months or 2 years... it's entirely up to the individuals. Why should any one else care?

Anyone doing a winter Ultra?? The Febapple Frozen Fifty is coming up -50M & 50K.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm running a 50k next weekend in Columbia, SC. www.carolinaultras.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRidgeRunner View Post
    Personally..I just hike....Who cares how many miles in a day? I don't. I much prefer to take my time. To each his own. As far as someone telling someone "You're only 50."..well.....every one is entitled to his or her own opinion as to at what age they wish to or wish not to slow down. When did backpacking become a competition anyway? If you wanta race with others who wanta race go to the Olympics...If I had the time and the finances I'd take a thru hike leaving around November at Springer and hit Katadin around October. That would allow pleny of time for r and r and to do some blue blaze hiking to enjoy the scenery and sights instead of blowing past it all so I could say.."Hey..I hiked the AT in just blah, blah, blah and so and so took 4 days longer........Who cares? Many people are just too critical of other's hiking. I don't care if you do it in 2 months or 2 years... it's entirely up to the individuals. Why should any one else care?
    To each his own. But this forum is for speed hiking. Why post in here if its not your cup of tea?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    To each his own. But this forum is for speed hiking. Why post in here if its not your cup of tea?
    Even more so for digging up a 2009 thread to complain about - DB troll
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm glad he dug it up... I do wish this forum was more active.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm glad he dug it up... I do wish this forum was more active.
    Thanks 10 k..It's a shame that people with similar interests can't voice opinions without some getting their drawers in a wad...LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Try Half Dome in Yosemite in a day. Makes Katahdin seem like a walk in the Park.
    Yeah, maybe because it's longer hike, but Katahdin is steeper overall...

Katahdin 5.2 miles, 4200' gain = 807' elevation per mile

Half Dome 7 miles, 5000' gain = 714' elevation per mile

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Maybe my sticky was not obvious enough?

Long Ridge, this forum is not for debating if it is better to run a trail or not. Hell, your trail name has Runner in it..
    I'm a dumb Guinea and I confuse easily..do you like running or not?

Re: Being Active
    It is fairly active..but the threads to get moved from the general forum often.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-02-2011 at 23:13.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    ....I personally love to walk all day. Still not sure what is "wrong" with that concept.
    I love to walk all day too. But somehow, I don't get very far, any more. Not that I ever did by racing standards. Twenty miles was about my limit during the peak years. Now I think 7-10 miles makes for a nice workout.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++