WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Let's keep it going...

Ray completed the AT

http://www.rayjardine.com/news/index.htm

7.5# pack.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

tideblazer
    Images

A point to note.... Ray is not a speed demon like many think. To quote him directly, "Slow is Fast."

The speed of the journey is not the focus, but a result of his particular style of operation. He taught me how to slow down..... and my journeys tend to accelerate. It's kind of like the old saying that if you have limited hours to cut a cord of wood, you're best off sharpening your blade for most of that time instead of wailing into it in a dull rush.

The corn pasta is not mush if you cook it right. Everyone overcooks it.... including me. But I have hit it right many of times.... Although I hardly eat it now... it's still good, but yes not the super food some people tout is as. if you want a super food.... eat moringa!!!!

best,
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    He promoted it as being better than wheat pasta even though it tasted like mush. When it was pointed out that it had the exact same benefits, he claimed (w/o example) manufactures had changed the way it was produced. Yeah right.
    He was instrumental in teaching hikers how to use a public restroom and ordering from a restaurant - i.e. insist on a paper plate and use your own silverware! One arm backpack! Genius! Umbrellas were used long before he promoted them as well. He did recognize Grandma G in at least one of his books and would wonder why he stopped if she isn't mentioned in later editions. God bless Ray- despite his ego, methods, paranoia and exaggerations he has still managed to play a part in inspiring folks to go lighter.
    Rays rep in the climbing community is pretty much the same. He introduced questionable methods for the purpose getting to the top quicker and easier, which he feels is better. His attitude always seemed to be Faster is smarter and slower is stupid and that of course , doesn't suit me. Rat racers on the other hand - tend to have more admiration. Proving how fast you can be done with a trail (taking short-cuts and setting your alarm so as not to take more than a 5 min break) has never been a goal of mine-- despite my speed records.

People love and root for the Squeakys and Scott Williams (in general) because they are unassuming. The WD, WF, FB and RJs get ribbed because they are not.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Congrats to RJ.

It is great that he still takes the time to get out and do a thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by hoz View Post
    Let's keep it going...

Ray completed the AT

http://www.rayjardine.com/news/index.htm

7.5# pack.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie View Post
    A point to note.... Ray is not a speed demon like many think. To quote him directly, "Slow is Fast."
    I don't think he was after any sort of speed record. Even his own blog states he slowed down quite a bit at the end...

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    For the first 2/3 of my trip I hiked reasonably high-mileage days, about on par with Jenny’s and my AT hike of 93. But then I started thinking, “I'm missing a lot of what the experience has to offer.” So I slowed down in order to enjoy the rest of the hike all the more. I started sleeping in until 5:30 am, and quitting at 7:30 pm. I hiked hut-to-hut through the Whites, and from then on I starting taking zero days at some of the towns along the way. I didn’t have time to do this from day-1, but for the last 1/3 of the trip I sure had fun.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    For one thing, he did more to change the footwear that we wear when we hike than anyone else. I think 80% of us have reaped the benefits of that.

He has also designed a lot of gear and companies have used his ideas to change the way packs, tents, tarps, etc are now made. (less bells and whistles for one thing)

Not only in backpacking, he also invented "friends" i believe in the rock climbing sport. (they are used all over the world in sport climbing and do a lot to save the rock for others)

A true "free thinker", he has also been to the south pole, climbed some big mountains, and i think he even paddled across the Atlantic!

I can only wish i would've done half as much!
    If you only paddled 1/2 way across the Atlantic you'd be screwed.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie View Post
    The corn pasta is not mush if you cook it right. Everyone overcooks it.... including me. But I have hit it right many of times.... Although I hardly eat it now... it's still good, but yes not the super food some people tout is as. if you want a super food.... eat moringa!!!!

best,
    Nate

I like some of Jardine's ideas. The emphasis on being a minimalist (as opposed to gear wonkery that is common to light weight backpacking).

Making miles by walking all day rather than walking fast.

And others.

However..sorry, with a name like Magnanti (southern as opposed to northern) there is no way in hell that I will eat corn pasta.
    Last edited by Mags; 09-07-2009 at 17:31.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

I tend to agree with Mags.

RJ changed my way of thinking about backpacking and really challenged my thought process on just how much crap I need when I'm out in the woods.

True, I bought most of my gear, but I find that my basic gear list isn't all that far off from what RJ recommended to begin with.

I hike in compression shorts and a synth polo shirt usually (I like the collar to keep the sun off my neck).

I carry a 2400 cu in pack.

I prefer a Tarp to a tent, although I just ordered a HH Hammock.

I prefer a quilt to a bag.

I like Soda bottles for my water.

I dehydrate most of my food (section hiker).

I carry a wind shirt with a hood and a pair of shell (rain) pants, along with a 12 ounce insulated parka with a hood (PBL).

I prefer Smartwool socks, an alcohol stove, and a poncho to an umbrella, however, the principal is the same, even if it took me a lot longer ($) to get there than just reading his book.

Simple is better than complex and leave unnecessary stuff at the house.

tideblazer
    Images

Hot Sauce. Cheese. Mama mia after 27 miles it tastes like.... ok still not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I like some of Jardine's ideas. The emphasis on being a minimalist (as opposed to gear wonkery that is common to light weight backpacking).

Making miles by walking all day rather than walking fast.

And others.

However..sorry, with a name like Magnanti (southern as opposed to northern) there is no way in hell that I will eat corn pasta.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++