WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Taba is getting close to Jockey's Ridge

I am 2 weeks away from Jockey's Ridge on my second thru-hike. I am not stopping there though. My plan is to turn around immediately and start back to Clingman's Dome for a yo-yo of the MST. I have been updating and correcting the Thru-Hiker's Manual. I will be working on the westbound version on my return trip. So no matter which direction you want to hike this trail you will have a guide for it. I am working on fixing the camping issues that this trail has by asking every pastor of all the churches along the way if we can have permission to use the property as a place to set up a tent for the night and to use their water spigots to fill our bottles. I have had great responses and will hopefully continue to help reduce some of the stress off of this journey. There are over 100 churches on this trail and if every church says yes about our being there than in comparison we will have more shelters or places to camp than the Appalachian Trail.

Next challenge will be getting a Thru-hiker's permit for the state parks and the Blue Ridge Parkway so there would be no more "illegal camping."

Here's one example of "must do illegal camping." In Falls Lake Recreation Area the map says that "you can enjoy hiking and camping along the MST in this park." However, when I asked where the camping was between Shinleaf to Falls of the Neuse Road, the rangers said that there was no camping. That is a 22 mile stretch. The Paddle Creek store cannot give permission to camp there either. There is a church 2.5 more miles away from there but we don't have permission there yet either. 25 miles is a lot to ask anyone to hike in one day. So, where can hikers sleep if they can't walk 25 miles?

These are the issues I am going to fix this year!!!! We have to get some rules changed to accomodate the thru-hikers that the MST is going to see. There are about 10 people challenging the MST this year that I know of. We need to sleep somewhere.

Overall, I have had a wonderful experience this year. I plan to finish at Clingman's Dome by the middle of October.

Taba

Images

Make sure to take a big leap from the top for me. One of my favorite spot on the planet. We have some great video from two years ago of the kids rolling down the dune.

I m going into New Bern tomorrow. Then over to the Croatan National Forest for a couple of days. Should be at the turn around point, Jockey's Ridge, by Aug. 5th or 6th, trying for the 5th. I have a good support group out on the outer banks so I should be able to keep up this pace. I might take one day off after I turn around. I am planning to input the information I collected this trip into the Manual so I don't have to correct the same errors I did on the way over here. That will be a couple of days and 35 miles the other direction, towards the mountains.

See you on the dunes,
    Taba

Images

OBX Rocks. Just got back Thursday. Be sure to check out the Peace Frogs sand sculpture.

Default Mst

Thank you for all the information. You mentioned a permit type system for the state parks that might also work for the final beach walk. Is there any camping other than the paid campgrounds on the last leg? Some localities are really hard on open sleeping on the beach and tend to enforce them vigorously. Good luck and don't forget your sunblock for the last 40-50 miles and be very very careful crossing the Bonner bridge.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Just one picture so people can see what the beach hike might look like.
    Attachment 6637

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait View Post
    Thank you for all the information. You mentioned a permit type system for the state parks that might also work for the final beach walk. Is there any camping other than the paid campgrounds on the last leg? Some localities are really hard on open sleeping on the beach and tend to enforce them vigorously. Good luck and don't forget your sunblock for the last 40-50 miles and be very very careful crossing the Bonner bridge.
    I would love to tell you that there is more camping than the paid sites. However, there really is not unless you use the church grounds along the route. I am still working on getting the flyers out to the churches asking for permission to tell hikers that it would be ok to camp there. I am also trying to find people who live out there who would be willing to support the thru-hikers. When you say thru-hiker all you are really saying is goal acheiver and who wouldn't want to help someone acheive a goal as big and as dramatic as finishing a 900+ mile trail? It puts a smile on everybody's face to see someone succeed. It seems kind of crazy that after you walk 15-20 miles and all you want to do is go to sleep, you have someone over you to tell you that laying down on the ground is illegal and they want to fine you or arrest you. For what? Having and acheiving a goal. I thought we were supposed to support those people. Aren't those the kind of people that you want to be the future of America or do you want the lazy couch potato who hasn't accomplished much more than the talent of banking a quarter in a glass and telling his buddy to drink more beer.

I am trying my best to fix this camping issue on the MST. I have had great responses from the churches and even found a few more private citizens who have offered their property for camping to thru-hiker's. These churches and new camping locations will be in the 2010 version of the Manual.

I am now in New Bern and working my way into the Croatan. I should be on the Neusiok Trail in 2 days. That would be Monday.

Taba

Images

do give an update on the Nuesiok trail. im thinking of heading there this november possibly. i however have no idea where there are campsites along that stretch of trail, of what to expect as far as terrain and good times, but im sure they are a plenty!

godspeed, Taba! watch for snakes and be careful crossing that bridge. i wish i still lived in Va Beach, i would meet you at the west side of the Bonner and give you a lift via my dad's Boston Whaler to southern shores. take care, look forward to hearing your report. the MTS trail seem a little more within my grasp than a flip flop hike

Default Taba is in Frisco (OBX)

Tomorrow I am walking past the Frisco Pier, which is condemned right now, and will be trying for an 18 or 19 mile day. I will be going to church with a friend I am stating with tonight so I will be getting a late start. Should be on the summit of Jockey's Ridge on August 5th.

Taba

I am now in Avon ducking the rain in Uglie Mugs coffee shop. I have 45 more miles until I reach Jockey's Ridge. Still shooting for the 5th. The weather and mosquitos have been a challenge but I trudge on.

Taba

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    I would love to tell you that there is more camping than the paid sites. However, there really is not unless you use the church grounds along the route. I am still working on getting the flyers out to the churches asking for permission to tell hikers that it would be ok to camp there. I am also trying to find people who live out there who would be willing to support the thru-hikers. When you say thru-hiker all you are really saying is goal acheiver and who wouldn't want to help someone acheive a goal as big and as dramatic as finishing a 900+ mile trail? It puts a smile on everybody's face to see someone succeed. It seems kind of crazy that after you walk 15-20 miles and all you want to do is go to sleep, you have someone over you to tell you that laying down on the ground is illegal and they want to fine you or arrest you. For what? Having and acheiving a goal. I thought we were supposed to support those people. Aren't those the kind of people that you want to be the future of America or do you want the lazy couch potato who hasn't accomplished much more than the talent of banking a quarter in a glass and telling his buddy to drink more beer.

I am trying my best to fix this camping issue on the MST. I have had great responses from the churches and even found a few more private citizens who have offered their property for camping to thru-hiker's. These churches and new camping locations will be in the 2010 version of the Manual.

I am now in New Bern and working my way into the Croatan. I should be on the Neusiok Trail in 2 days. That would be Monday.

Taba
    I would like to see if we can get some reserved camp sites setup or permit system in the parks just for MST hikers, especially Falls Lake and the BRP. Those sections have long stretches were 'rebel' camping is the only option.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 08-03-2009 at 16:00.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Default Rebel Camping

I am working on it. I have over a dozen churches who have agreed to allow hikers to camp in their backyard and may even open up part of the church to them. Once we have the churches on our side the Blue Ridge and the Hatteras Shore will have to acknowledge that their needs to be some option for us.

Taba

By the way I will be summiting Jockey's Ridge for the second time tomorrow August 6th, 2009 to turn around and hike it back to Clingman's Dome. The finish and beginning will happen at the same time as I climb the sand dune. Time of arrival is to be around 4-5pm. There will be a reporter/photographer from The Coastland Times newspaper here in Nags Head,there to cover the event. Thank you to everybody who supported the journey and the vision.

Taba

Taba

Go Taba!...er Back!!

I am 3 miles from Jockey's Ridge and being held up by a bad storm that just popped up. Hope to continue on today and start the return trip but may have to wait until tomorrow.

Taba

++ New Posts ++