WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Snakes in basements and buildings

To read a 1-page PDF document provided by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's Nongame and Endangered Species Unit, click here.

The pamphlet Snakes of Pennsylvania mentioned in the article is available online as a predominately text-only document. Click on the title to read it or for other reptile and amphibian links provided by PFBC.

Images

Emerald, first of all, you live in a beautiful state. We just hear about the big cities, but there is alot of beautiful rural country and I loved Pennsylvania when I went thu there a few years ago.
    To answer your question, the snakes we find here in basements and buildings houses are non-venomous and usually the black rat snake, the garter, the midland brown snake and the common king snake.

Images

Thank you for your kind words, Erin. Many people have no idea how much Pennsylvania has to offer. Through hikers are here and gone before they have an opportunity to fully appreciate it.

I found some other good herp links today. Stay tuned for more in the coming days.

Images

Last fall I had what I believe was a Milk Snake visit me and my basement. I think that there may be a shot of it in my gallery. I told the wife that it was there and she, a Lancaster Co girl, said great leave it it will help with the mice that will want to come inside for the winter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    To read a 1-page PDF document provided by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's Nongame and Endangered Species Unit, click here.

Snakes of Pennsylvania mentioned in the article is available online as a primarily text-based document. Other reptile and amphibian links are also provided.
    So according to that you can kill 1 rattle snake and 1 copperhead per year (in season of course) in PA and they don't taste like chicken...

Timber Rattlesnake* June 13 through July 31 1 annual limit** (must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lengthwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to the tail, excluding the rattle, and must possess 21 or more subcaudal scales.***)
    Northern Copperhead June 13 through July 31 1 annual limit**
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    So according to that you can kill 1 rattle snake and 1 copperhead per year (in season of course) in PA and they don't taste like chicken...

Timber Rattlesnake* June 13 through July 31 1 annual limit** (must be at least 42 inches in length, measured lengthwise along the dorsal surface from the snout to the tail, excluding the rattle, and must possess 21 or more subcaudal scales.***)
    You just need to be really really careful when you mesure them before you kill them.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    You just need to be really really careful when you mesure them before you kill them.
    No way if it looks 42.5 I'm wacking that snake
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post

I'm pretty sure it's 1 total of either species, or maybe I'm not comprehending the footnote correctly.

** It is unlawful to possess, take, catch, or kill more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead per calendar year except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code) relating to organized reptile and amphibian hunt permits. It is unlawful to possess more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead at any time except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code).

I'd really like to taste rattlesnake sometime but really have no desire to kill one.

Images

Default Timber rattlesnakes in Pennsylvania

Complete information regarding harvesting reptiles and amphibians in Pennsylvania may be found on PFBC's website. There's no open season on timber rattlesnakes south of I81 to the Maryland line which includes most of Pennsylvania's AT.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/repamp.html

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Venomous Snake Permit

Quote Originally Posted by bronconite View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's 1 total of either species, or maybe I'm not comprehending the footnote correctly.

** It is unlawful to possess, take, catch, or kill more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead per calendar year except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code) relating to organized reptile and amphibian hunt permits. It is unlawful to possess more than one timber rattlesnake or northern copperhead at any time except as provided in Chapter 79.7(f) (Fish & Boat Code).

I'd really like to taste rattlesnake sometime but really have no desire to kill one.

If you are going to do it legally, don't forget to get your Venomous Snake permit first.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/forms/snake_venomous.pdf

It's too late to get one this year, try next season.

Resident Permit
    - (Permit Fee $25.00)
    Non-Resident Permit - (Permit Fee $50.00)

Images

I read through the permitting process yesterday. Subcaudal scales are counted to distinguish between the sexes. Males have 21 or more and only they may be harvested.

++ New Posts ++