WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wingfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Even though it may appear that Wingfoot deleted the journals I bet he kept a backup copy of everything he deleted on his own private hard drive. Maybe he will sell you a copy of your journal

Panzer
    ps sorry, I know its not really funny.
    I contacted Wingnut which included an offer to pay for a copy of my journal. After I thought about my journal it wasn't that big of a loss. I'm considering re-hiking the AT next year which would be an opportunity to write a better journal or I could not write one and save people from reading another saga of "I hiked up and I hiked down."

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I contacted Wingnut which included an offer to pay for a copy of my journal. After I thought about my journal it wasn't that big of a loss. I'm considering re-hiking the AT next year which would be an opportunity to write a better journal or I could not write one and save people from reading another saga of "I hiked up and I hiked down."
    The night before he deleted my journal, I spent hours (at work) editing it. My transcriber (Mom) made a hard copy, which I used to repost the sucker on Trailjournals.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    The night before he deleted my journal, I spent hours (at work) editing it. My transcriber (Mom) made a hard copy, which I used to repost the sucker on Trailjournals.
    I love happy endings.

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    True story. As he told the caller this, his knee bounced up and down nervously.

I wish the guy well.
    Same thing when you ask him about mileage claims and number of hikes.
    But wait, there is a WB policy about not commenting on a guy who spent his whole trail life seeking the spotlight and creating controversy? That seems cruel. Do we have to wait until the day after he dies before its ok?

Images

Like him or hate him, WF did bring a lot of information to hikers who were searching for it. WB has replaced Trailplace as the "be all end all" of AT sites, but many of us - myself included - enjoyed our time at TP back when it was a viable source of information.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Like him or hate him, WF did bring a lot of information to hikers who were searching for it. WB has replaced Trailplace as the "be all end all" of AT sites, but many of us - myself included - enjoyed our time at TP back when it was a viable source of information.
    It's supposed to be healthy to vent.
    I got some good information and some bad information from TP. I knew even less about computers at that time and someone on TP cautioned to not rely on the security of your computer to handle finances on line. So I gave my girlfriend of many years access to my money to pay my bills while I was gone. No, I didn't put any legal limits on her access. So as I hiked she stole $15,000 from me. Oh yes, it was a stupid thing to do in hind sight. When I confronted her with what she'd done she simply said "I didn't think You'd notice." Apparently I am very brain dead but not that damn brain dead.

I didn't like the way Wingnut changed into a profiteer. I remember on his website he was trying to get outrageous prices for a bunch of used items he owned. There are some examples at the link below. $500 for "the baseball cap given to Wingfoot by the folks at Amicalola Falls State Park"??? Get serious Wingnut! Gee, I wonder why none of these items ever sold!

http://friends.backcountry.net/piper...st/006472.html

Wow, lots of dead horse-beating going on today.

What's forgotten in all this is that whatever his real or imagined faults, Dan Bruce probably helped more people plan and prepare for an Appalachian Trail thru-hike than any other individual. His work and efforts did more to help them before and during their hikes than anyone I can think of, certainly more than anyone here at Whiteblaze.

There are some folks here who may wish to take a moment and think about this.

Of course if people would rather dump on a guy who left the Trail community some years ago to move onto other things with his life, well that's up to them.

Hmmmm. Moving onto other things and getting on with one's life.

Something for some folks to think about, maybe.

Anyway, thanx and best wishes, Dan, wherever you find yourself today. You sure did OK by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    I didn't like the way Wingnut changed into a profiteer. I remember on his website he was trying to get outrageous prices for a bunch of used items he owned. There are some examples at the link below. $500 for "the baseball cap given to Wingfoot by the folks at Amicalola Falls State Park"??? Get serious Wingnut! Gee, I wonder why none of these items ever sold!

http://friends.backcountry.net/piper...st/006472.html
    You're going to feel silly when you see them in the Smithsonian.
    He had the right to dump journals, he had the right to try to get as much as he could for his stuff and if I took and acted on advise that one of the posting members made that was my choice. I stopped by his house and had a real nice talk with him. I mention my money lose from time to time as a heads up to control your money and stuff while your gone for a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wow, lots of dead horse-beating going on today.

What's forgotten in all this is that whatever his real or imagined faults, Dan Bruce probably helped more people plan and prepare for an Appalachian Trail thru-hike than any other individual. His work and efforts did more to help them before and during their hikes than anyone I can think of, certainly more than anyone here at Whiteblaze.

There are some folks here who may wish to take a moment and think about this.

Of course if people would rather dump on a guy who left the Trail community some years ago to move onto other things with his life, well that's up to them.

Hmmmm. Moving onto other things and getting on with one's life.

Something for some folks to think about, maybe.

Anyway, thanx and best wishes, Dan, wherever you find yourself today. You sure did OK by me.
    Gee Jack,
    A person should only be judged by his positive contributions? Why doesn't that hold true for your dead house -WD? He has helped many as well. The person responsible for WB has probably helped more people than Dan, but if that person has more bad qualities than good we should nevermind the negative? The guy made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. I speak of what I've seen with my own 2 eyes. Dan was exposed and left the trail community because of it. This would have eventully happened regardless of his parents situation IMO. I wish him well too, but am glad he's gone-no matter the sugar / salt ratio. A ton of sugar doesn't justify ton of salt in my book.

Dan not only helped me and gave me advice on thru hiking he also instilled in me the attitudes of fun, caring, admiring and loving the Appalachian Trail. He has always been my biggest influence and will always be a good friend. I feel sorry that not all of you had the same experience.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Dan not only helped me and gave me advice on thru hiking he also instilled in me the attitudes of fun, caring, admiring and loving the Appalachian Trail. He has always been my biggest influence and will always be a good friend. I feel sorry that not all of you had the same experience.

geek
    i certainly didn't. i was walkin' the trail before the "stars" and know-it-alls like wingfoot. there were no websites. there was the Philosophers guide which was just fine for the time. WAY too much info and so-called expertise for just walkin' these days

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i certainly didn't. i was walkin' the trail before the "stars" and know-it-alls like wingfoot. there were no websites. there was the Philosophers guide which was just fine for the time. WAY too much info and so-called expertise for just walkin' these days
    I gotta agree. Sometimes it's too easy. I know exactly where to stay, where to eat, who to call for a ride. On the one hand, the information is great to have but sometimes I think a lot of the 'unknown' is taken away. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    sometimes I think a lot of the 'unknown' is taken away. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    bad thing. lewis and clark didn't have no stinkin' website or guide book. neither did earl

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I gotta agree. Sometimes it's too easy. I know exactly where to stay, where to eat, who to call for a ride. On the one hand, the information is great to have but sometimes I think a lot of the 'unknown' is taken away. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    I am very fond of the AT, but I could do without the culture and the way it is trending. IMO, Wingfoot was right in that regard. And he caught hell for saying it. The AT is a paint by numbers trail. Every sign. Every privy. Every shelter. Every everything is chronicled, photographed and discussed. Personally, I like hiking a trail with a little more mystique these days.

The most exciting things happening with the AT these days (to me) is the citizen science, and the Trail to Every Classroom program.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Jack is right. Let the dead horse alone.

It is now a couple of years since Dan effectively departed the trail, physically and figuratively. He did some good things, and some bad; some smart, some foolish. Some kind, some rude. He was, in all, little better than most of us, and not as bad as the rest.

But he's gone, and he's not even yesterday's news. Let us all wish him well, and move on. That is, I reiterate, exactly the policy that WhiteBlaze has had regarding Dan since our very first posts here on this site.

Keep moving, folks; the show is over.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

warren doyle has been doing more for the AT and hikers long before and after wingfoot

If the subject is taboo then why is the thread not closed?
    I doubt Dan cares what I think of him.
    I just call em like I see em.
    I said my piece and I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    LW,
    That's not what I meant by help. The Philosopher's Guide was probably the best book ever for hiking the trail. WF wrote the books and did the town maps in order to help more hikers and if that made the hike easier then maybe it got more people interested in hiking and protecting the AT.
    I hiked within a day or 2 of Dan my entire 1990 hike and spent many a lunch and alot of time in camp with him. He had an incredible sense of humor and friendliness while hiking. He taught me things about nature that I didn't know, names of flowers that I had never seen, facts and history of the trail and it's pioneers that I would never have known. He instilled in me a feeling and love for the Appalachian trail that nothing else in my life has done prior or since. He never acted as a guide or celebrity but always as a friend and fellow hiker. I have always enjoyed my time with him be it visiting, hiking or talking on the phone. He will always be my friend and a mentor and I will always respect him for that. In my dealings with him he never tried to be more "famous" or well known, he was simply obscessed with teaching everyone that he met to love the Appalachian Trail as much as he did.
    I haven't gotten to talk to Dan in about 5 years and I do miss him.
    I realize that not everyone had the same outcome as I did with Dan and none of us have any control over that...I'm just saying that I wish everyone else had the same contact with him that I did...his friendship was a major asset in my life.

geek

I especially liked Wingfoots position on cell phones.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++