WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Wingfoot

Images

Nean, the topic isn't taboo. It's worse than that: It's old. So old that it's worn out. Sort of, I suspect, as Dan is worn out. Wish him well (or don't wish anything). Beyond that, not much left to say about him that hasn't been said many times before.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    If the subject is taboo then why is the thread not closed?
    I doubt Dan cares what I think of him.
    I just call em like I see em.
    I said my piece and I'm done.
    How'd ya like his position on hiking sticks?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    bad thing. lewis and clark didn't have no stinkin' website or guide book. neither did earl
    One of the main reasons that lewis and clark lead their expedition was to map out the way for others to follow them. They created maps and a journal that others could use to follow them. lewis and Clark wrote the guide book.

Panzer

In a post above (#37), Lone Wolf mentioned another well known hiker, and baldly stated that this other individual has contributed far more to the Trail than Dan Bruce.

I do not know if Wolf truly believes this, or whether he was merely trying to stir things up here, which he himself has admitted is something he enjoys doing.

But in any case, I invite him to share details that might back up his statement. The fact is, Dan Bruce for many years published a book that helped thousands and thousands of hikers plan their trips; this book was also used daily by thousands of hikers DURING their hikes. In later years, Bruce ran an extensive website that for many years was the number one source of information on the Trail for those planning an extended hike on the A.T.

If there is any other individual whose resume includes anything like this, especially as regards providing years of information thru either published works or Internet informational sites, I'd sure like to know who they are, with details.

I'm sure Wolf, with his voluminous knowledge of the Trail and its history, will be more than happy to tell us about this.

(P.S. After Bruce, I would then say that the team of folks involved with THIS website would be very deserving of mention as well, in terms of purveying useful information to prospective hikers. Also, of course, there are the good folks at the ATC, who have been performing this service for decades).

warren doyle has been doing more for the AT and hikers long before and after wingfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    In a post above (#37), Lone Wolf mentioned another well known hiker, and baldly stated that this other individual has contributed far more to the Trail than Dan Bruce.

I do not know if Wolf truly believes this, or whether he was merely trying to stir things up here, which he himself has admitted is something he enjoys doing.

But in any case, I invite him to share details that might back up his statement. The fact is, Dan Bruce for many years published a book that helped thousands and thousands of hikers plan their trips; this book was also used daily by thousands of hikers DURING their hikes. In later years, Bruce ran an extensive website that for many years was the number one source of information on the Trail for those planning an extended hike on the A.T.

If there is any other individual whose resume includes anything like this, especially as regards providing years of information thru either published works or Internet informational sites, I'd sure like to know who they are, with details.

I'm sure Wolf, with his voluminous knowledge of the Trail and its history, will be more than happy to tell us about this.

(P.S. After Bruce, I would then say that the team of folks involved with THIS website would be very deserving of mention as well, in terms of purveying useful information to prospective hikers. Also, of course, there are the good folks at the ATC, who have been performing this service for decades).
    ain't tryin' to stir nothin' up. warren was hiking the AT long before wingfoot and long after. wingfoot's guide wasn't original. he took over the philosophers guide. warren started ALDHA and has the Trail institute. what was wingfoot's Center for Appalachian Trail studies? nothing but a name

Wingfoot has alot of knowledge regarding the AT and he shared that knowledge with those who visited his webpage. If someone went looking for a fight, Wingfoot didn't back down, but I have alot of respect for the man and if I didn't agree with some of his views, well so what, I just moved on to another topic heading. He always gave out detailed information to me on his webpage, which is much more helpful then those who post a sentence or two about "its just walkin" philosophy of the AT when any meaningful question gets asked.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Lotta people jealous of WF.

what pray tell, is there to be jealous of ?

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    Wingfoot has alot of knowledge regarding the AT and he shared that knowledge with those who visited his webpage. If someone went looking for a fight, Wingfoot didn't back down, but I have alot of respect for the man and if I didn't agree with some of his views, well so what, I just moved on to another topic heading. He always gave out detailed information to me on his webpage, which is much more helpful then those who post a sentence or two about "its just walkin" philosophy of the AT when any meaningful question gets asked.
    it really is just walkin' and lotsa folks did it before websites and such. it ain't rocket science as they say

Lot of self proclaimed experts -- usually members of hiking forums -- couldn't stand the fact that for a decade or so when the media had an A.T. related question or needed a comment as background info for a story the first call they made was to WF.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Lot of self proclaimed experts -- usually members of hiking forums -- couldn't stand the fact that for a decade or so when the media had an A.T. related question or needed a comment as background info for a story the first call they made was to WF.
    cuz he's the only one that marketed himself. he loved attention and pats on the back. i know of no one that ever said they were jealous of wingfoot you must run with some head cases

Images

I enjoyed meeting him in '98. I never heard of him befor I started the trail. I didn't even know there was a web site. All I saw was everybodys book. So when I got to HS I stopped by and said "Hi". I also figured he could help me fix my broken pack. He did much better than that. He went out to the garage and pulled out an old pack and gave it to me. [after he took his patches off].
    That night we sat around and watched GI Jane and discussed walking the trail without any books or maps. He then signed a book for me so I could mail it home.
    I don't know all the in and outs of the guy. I really don't care. I never looked at his site after that. [well until last year] Just wanted to say that the two days I spent with him, he seemed like an alright guy to me.

Thanks Dan

it really is just walkin' and lotsa folks did it before websites and such. it ain't rocket science as they say
    True Lone Wolf, but folks have alot of questions (sometimes fairly complex ones) about the AT and backpacking in general, so I think Wingfoot, TP and many others here at WB contribute to that knowledge, thats what I meant by my first statements. I certainly didn't agree with the guy on every issue, but he helped out alot of hikers (as you have as well) and I respect that.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by double d View Post
    True Lone Wolf, but folks have alot of questions (sometimes fairly complex ones) about the AT and backpacking in general, so I think Wingfoot, TP and many others here at WB contribute to that knowledge, thats what I meant by my first statements. I certainly didn't agree with the guy on every issue, but he helped out alot of hikers (as you have as well) and I respect that.
    LW is deadass right; what he left out is a lot of people think it's rocket science, and spend all their time trying to make it that way. I chose backpacking 'cause I wasn't any good at sports that required skills. All anyone really needs to know on this one is how to lift up feet and put them down and boil water. Sometimes it's nice to get more information about things, but sites like this one or TP or whatever aren't really necessary; the trail is still there and goes to the same places, with our without a lot of fancy websites, gear, cell phones or even Republican Governors.

Dan didn't do much harm, did some good, but the AT doesn't owe its existence to him nearly as much as it does a lot of others. Big deal.

Keep walking. That's all it's about.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    LW is deadass right; what he left out is a lot of people think it's rocket science, and spend all their time trying to make it that way. I chose backpacking 'cause I wasn't any good at sports that required skills. All anyone really needs to know on this one is how to lift up feet and put them down and boil water. Sometimes it's nice to get more information about things, but sites like this one or TP or whatever aren't really necessary; the trail is still there and goes to the same places, with our without a lot of fancy websites, gear, cell phones or even Republican Governors.

Dan didn't do much harm, did some good, but the AT doesn't owe its existence to him nearly as much as it does a lot of others. Big deal.

Keep walking. That's all it's about.

TW
    Well said.

...posting more negative crap than anyone on the internet?

Journal Entries

Wingfoot is one of the rare genuine heroes of the Appalachian Trail. He devoted much of his life to keeping the traiL as wild as a trail can be that is a day's drive from a majority of Americans.

His battle to keep Saddleback wild is univerally praised by PR types who observed its intelligence and skill. Wingfoot designed a program that allowed every responder to fill in a form that was then used to automatically generate a distinct personal message to key WAshington legislators and trail bureaucrats.

Unfortunately, the White Blaze bigots couldn't place the trail above their anger, and mostly refused to participate.

Despite that, the 4,000 responses that Wingfoot generated, produced the compromise that kept the top of the mountain range wild. Yes, the cost was an outrageous $4 million to American taxpayers. But that was not Wingfoot's fault. It was the fault of those who could not put aside petty differences, and see wisdom even when it was prominently displayed.

Wingfoot was not always so wise. He even kicked me off his site a couple of times. But on the key issues Wingfoot was right. He deserves praise, not condemnation.

Weary

saddleback is hardly wild

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Wingfoot is one of the rare genuine heroes of the Appalachian Trail.
    Nonsense, Weary. And you know it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

anybody heard the joke about moses,jesus and wingfoot crossing the kennebec river?
    wingfoot was ok of a guy to me,very helpful and positive. helped me get started hiking, talked to him on the phone a few times,sent me a few books trusting me to send the payment back, and gave me a free copy of his 98' book when i thru'd in 99' i haven't met to many people i didn't like on the trail,and if i didn't like them i would just walk away...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++