WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Mmmmmnot completely accurate. SMD sells an Easton carbon gee-whiz thingy you can use in place of a trekking pole. Got one, like it. Love you long time, too.
    The carbon pole is still not nearly as good as a trekking pole. It will flex like a drunk in a broomcloset in the wind. Ask Ron himself, he will agree.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    The carbon pole is still not nearly as good as a trekking pole. It will flex like a drunk in a broomcloset in the wind. Ask Ron himself, he will agree.
    Why would a drunk be in a broom closet in the wind ?

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Default Six Moon Designs - Carbon Fiber Pole

I would agree that in terms of stability, nothing beats a trekking pole. However, the carbon fiber poles we sell are reasonable substitutes. They are stronger and exhibit less deflection than any aluminum pole of the same height and diameter. Plus they are much lighter.

One issue I've seen that people have when moving from trekking poles to the carbon fiber pole is in over tensioning the tent. Because trekking poles are so strong, they can withstand significantly more force than is required to obtain a taut pitch. When switching to the carbon fiber poles, you can not apply nearly as much tension. Still it is squite possible to achieve proper tension using carbon fiber poles.

Personally, I don't use trekking poles so when I go backpacking. I use the carbon fiber pole.

This past month I did spend some time on the CDT and took a single trekking pole, the new Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4. It's an excellent pole and significantly lighter than most trekking poles. However, on this hike, 99% of the time the pole was attached to my pack. I carried it because we were expecting some significant stream crossings.

The other option for the Lunar Solo that has not been discussed is to hang it from a tree. There is a webbing loop at the apex of the tent to allow the Lunar Solo to be hung.

Ron Moak
    Six Moon Designs

Images

Awesome - thanks for the input Ron. Am I the only one that appreciates input direct from the designer! (of course not).

....on another note, I should have said "drunk in an outhouse in the wind...."

Hike smarter, not harder.

But what we really want to know...........any news on the Vamp?

Images

That hasn't been my experience. Then again I try not to camp in exposed locations if the weather looks like going to hell. YMMV.

I have the Lunar Duo and love it...spacious for two, palatial for one. Long enough and WIDE.

I had the Lunar Solo...really liked the design and workmanship, but it didn't fit me (I'm 6'5" tall).

I returned the Lunar Solo and use a Tarptent Contrail for solo tripping which accommodates my tallness better (though still not able to really sit up inside).

Oh brother. Okay I will reword. The Fly Creek will manage condensation better.
    This was merely my personal opinion, completely separate from your post. I just used yours to key off on and added to it a bit.
    Last edited by Tinker; 07-23-2009 at 22:18. Reason: rethought post
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Thanks Tinker. As we all know any tent can get condensation - the trick is how to manage its effects. Which is what you were saying so we are on the same page. My Bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++