WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Approach Trail

I did the approach last year for 2 reasons
    1.really wanted to see the arch
    2. refused to walk sobo for a mile cuz im stubborn as hell!

honestly, i see no real difference tho .if i was to hike the whole trail again it would be a last minute decision whether or not to hike the approach.

Quote Originally Posted by WIAPilot View Post
    The Approach Trail seems difficult, but I wouldn't want to start any other way. I just wish that the miles were included!!
    Included in what? Why do people think their hiking trips and experiences only matter if someone with a can of white spray paint has been there already? I did the approach because I like hiking. Do the approach, don't do the approach, whatever, but this notion of what counts and what doesn't is stupid. Just go hike enjoy yourself, this isn't supposed to be a sport.

I've hiked the approach because I had wanted to. Figured it was a good jumping off point...to see if I could attempt a thru-hike. Was not a fan of the steps talk about an adventure. But for me it was as if gradually saying goodbye to Civilization was a good start.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

I think you should start based on whats easier for the person dropping you off.
    Bingo.

It's a pretty chill hike IMO. I did not do it when I did the AT, but I did do it when I did the BMT. In both cases, it was what was easier for the driver.

As for the approach trail itself, don't think it added or subtracted to my hike in terms of experience, but the approach trail was pretty chill I thought, not hard, and pleasant overall.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Thanks. I hate to be a bother but can the old trail that started at Mt Oglethorpe still be hiked today?
    The property around Mt. Oglethorpe is private property. I recently bought a house nearby and have permission from to owner to go to the summit. I am considering offering shuttle and lodging to/from Amicalola that includes access to Mt. Oglethorpe. I can pick up or drop off at the Atlanta airport or at Amicalola or Springer. Pricing still to be determined. Email me if you are interested.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++