WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Bear Activity Closes trails on Grandfather Mtn

Grandfather Mountain announced today several trails would be closed until further notice because of increased bear activity.
    According to Grandfather’s website, the Grandfather Extension Trail, the Black rock Trail, and the Grandfather Trail from the Swinging Bridge to MacRae Peak are closed.
    Mother bears and cubs have been reportedly seen in the area, so the trails are closed for safety reasons.
    State Park Rangers are also asking hikers not to hike on the Profile Trail and the Daniel Boone Scout Trail.

(The section of the mountains to sea trail is not included.}

Now I hope they close the tourist road up to the top, too. Grandfather is a big motor-goal for the tourist types and the top has a giant parking lot and several buildings including a "zoo". Close it all.

2010 complete

are you sure it wasn't the bear run?

Looks like the top of the mtn is pretty much closed to hiking. You can't get on top from the main parking lot on top or from both sides.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    Mother bears and cubs have been reportedly seen in the area, so the trails are closed for safety reasons.
    Based on that criteria, the AT in NJ would always be closed!

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Grandfather Mt is privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    Grandfather Mt is privately owned.
    The State of NC purchased a good chunk of it last year.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/grmo/main.php
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Clyde Smith actually built the first modern trail on the mtn in the early 1940s. Here is a great link to the history of the trail system. It is not a long distance trail but you can put together a lot of scenic miles by connecting the shorter trails.

http://www.randyjohnsonbooks.com/hibalsam.pdf

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    That part of the AT does not run through jersey.

That area is known as "Bear Country" and is not even apart of the contiguous united states.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    The State of NC purchased a good chunk of it last year.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/grmo/main.php
    Its half true. Its more a joint venture. The state purchased the backcountry portion of Grandfather Mtn. The zoo, swinging bridge, and up to the top parking area is still privately owned. You can hike in for free from the parkway or on the Profile. But if you go through the entrance on 221, you still got to pay.

I been thinking that the MST should be routed up and over Grandfather since its such a prominent feature on the Blue Ridge.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I was in Boone a couple weeks ago. It sure seemed a lot more crowded than when I was there last year in May. I suppose school out makes a big difference.

Anyway, I know Grandfather is a special place, and was listening to a Charles Kuralt book where he was describing all the unique flora and was thinking of going. But, those billboards dissuaded. I will never go to an outdoorsy place that advertises with billboards. Natural Bridge and Luray Caverns will not experience my presence.

Instead, I went a little south to Linville Gorge. Didn't go down for an overnight because a of a bad back, but hiked around the Table Rock area (The Chimneys, Shortoff). Amazing views and rock formations. Challenging hiking too, perhaps the steepest grade I've ever climbed up/down (Waterfall Mtn. in Massanutten is second). Check my gallery for some photos of the area.
    Last edited by wilconow; 07-14-2009 at 09:42.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its half true. Its more a joint venture. The state purchased the backcountry portion of Grandfather Mtn. The zoo, swinging bridge, and up to the top parking area is still privately owned. You can hike in for free from the parkway or on the Profile. But if you go through the entrance on 221, you still got to pay.

you cannot hike in for free. we always hike in from the back side from 105, the profile trail, and we always get busted by the ranger. you are required to get a hiking permit from the gas station on 105.

My best views from grandfather mt was running the bear which was a 5 mile run to the summit. There is the forest gump view that is outstanding.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    I was in Boone a couple weeks ago. It sure seemed a lot more crowded than when I was there last year in May. I suppose school out makes a big difference.

or the 95 degree temps in the piedmont. I know we escaped to mt mitchell and roan mt during that time

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    you cannot hike in for free. we always hike in from the back side from 105, the profile trail, and we always get busted by the ranger. you are required to get a hiking permit from the gas station on 105.

My best views from grandfather mt was running the bear which was a 5 mile run to the summit. There is the forest gump view that is outstanding.
    The Grandfather Mtn State Park website has it posted that there are no fees for permits. But you have to register for one in order to hike through the state park section of the mountain. http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/grmo/permits.php

The attraction side you still have to pay for it.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

From their website:

For hiking only you may access Grandfather Mountain State Park from off-mountain trailheads. You will be required to register for a free hiking permit at area outlets.

If you want only to hike without going through the Entrance Gate

* Guests wishing only to hike can access Grandfather Mountain State Park from one of the two off-mountain trailheads located either on US 221 or NC 105. A trail map will be supplied when register for your permit.
    * If you park at an off-mountain trailhead, plan on hiking back to your car
    * If you plan to have someone pick you up at the Swinging Bridge, the driver of the pick-up vehicle will be charged regular gate admission to come into the travel attraction to pick you up.
    * Grandfather Mountain is not able to provide rides to or from trailheads.

2010 complete

wow. cool. I know that I paid just 2 years ago. We like the 10 mile profile hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Looks like the top of the mtn is pretty much closed to hiking. You can't get on top from the main parking lot on top or from both sides.
    Now if someone would close the dang road up to the top!

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Now if someone would close the dang road up to the top!
    True that. But at least you can hike it now without having to pay. It's a great place, IMO. If there's one positive, it will keep the tourons in a segregated area on the top...

++ New Posts ++