WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Practice run left me with some backular pain

So yesterday, Stinkman and myself filled our packs with weight and decided to walk around the neighborhood. The fact that it was pouring rain didn't bother us, but I noticed that my lower back started to hurt about 1/3 of a mile into our adventure. I adjusted my straps and everything, but it didn't alleviate the pain. I then tried standing up as straight as I practically could (I admit I tend to slouch sometimes). To my disappointment, that didn't fix the problem.
    Has anyone experienced this/does it go away/am I doing something wrong? I know it's kinda hard to answer since you don't really see me with the pack and can point out exactly what's going on, but any advice or insight is always appreciated. Thanks!
    When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl -- when you can't do that -- you find someone to carry you.

Images

Not seeing this in person makes it hard to say but my guess is that too much weight is resting on your shoulder straps. First you should secure your waist belt and make it snug...very snug (it should support your pack by itself) then adjust the shoulder straps and finally the load lifters. If in doubt take it to an outfitter and have them demonstrate how to properly fit the pack. Also make sure the load is close to your back and compressed down. Good luck on your SOBO!

Images

Yea, pictures would / may help.

Suggested pictures:
    Right and left side views, try to get your torso & all of the pack in the pic.
    Close up side views: waist attatchment, sholder straps (Top & Bottom) attachement.
    View from the back & front.

Adjusting the straps will help, also shifting how the pack is loaded may help. There are thousands of articles & posts on how to pack.

When adjusting your straps, always start out from zero. That is as you are taking off your pack loosten the straps. Then when you put it back on, tighten as needed.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

How much weight were you carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    How much weight were you carrying?
    I myself am 100lbs exactly (very teeny lady). I was carrying about 20lbs worth of weight.
    When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl -- when you can't do that -- you find someone to carry you.

Don't know if this helps, but almost all of my lower back pain can be addressed by hamstring stretches. I'm sure there is more to it than that, and it may not help you at all. Just a thought.

Images

Do what Frick Frack and Doctari say on adjusting.
    Take a look at REI's article and video on adjusting a pack.
    http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...sting+fit.html
    Frick Frack: If in doubt take it to an outfitter and have them demonstrate how to properly fit the pack.
    What is the pack? Perhaps it doesn't fit (try all the above before giving up though).
    20 lb seems a reasonable weight for a very teeny lady (100 lb). Less is always better, but somethings not working right if your back hurts in 1/3 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by uprocks View Post
    Don't know if this helps, but almost all of my lower back pain can be addressed by hamstring stretches. I'm sure there is more to it than that, and it may not help you at all. Just a thought.
    As an old SF Medic with nearly 200 jumps and lots and lots o' miles, that has been my observation also. If you can't squat like this, you have a lot of flexibility/strength issues that WILL cause pain if they aren't addressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdwETDQXCw

I would have never believed this to be true had I not started laying down on the floor and sticking each ankle in turn up on a doorframe a year or so ago.

Images

That's a good point. I am 6'5 and everything in the known world is made for people just a few inches shorter than me and below and I have to stretch every morning or I'll fall out from back pain.

Images

is backular a real word?

Thanks everyone for your advice -- to answer Snowleopard, my pack is an REI Ridgeline 65 -- small size. Tomorrow I'm going to take her to REI and see what they say as far as fitting goes. When I got her, she fit pretty nicely and the associate said it looked like it was good for me. I don't think they'd let me buy a pack that wasn't a good choice. In any case, I'll bring her by tomorrow and get fixed up.

Thanks again, I will watch the videos posted and I'll let you guys know what was going on. I'll also give those hamstring stretches a shot since a coupla ya'll said that it's a p good plan.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    is backular a real word?
    Only to this guy:
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++