WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: chafing

Default chafing

I mainly am a 2-3 night hiker and I tend to get pretty bad chafing on my inner thigh after the first day of hiking. Applying some baby powder periodically helps but I wanted to see what suggestions you guys have to take care of this problem.

Babies diaper rash creme.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Under Armour Heat Gear Boxerjocks...keeps the thighs from rubbing together... prevents the chafing....

compression shorts & Body Glide!

Images

Use regular stick deodorant. Not the clear or gel. Pro Golfers use it on the tour. It works great!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    compression shorts & Body Glide!
    Ditto the compression shorts ... and either Body Glide or Gold Bond powder.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Another vote for Body Glide! REI carries it if you have one near you, if not check places like running stores, sporting goods joints, etc.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Maybe i'm mistaken but i think the OP asked how to take care of the problem that he already has.
    Not a preventative measure although i'm sure that would be helpful to him for his next trip.

Anyway, like i said, i had a bad chafing problem a few weeks ago in my training for the Phuket marathon here (every day is close to 100 deg. ) and i asked the pros and they told me about diaper rash creme for babies. It healed me overnight.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

It will generally heal overnight. I've had plenty of experience.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Boxer briefs and Body Glide (2 full marathons, 6 half marathons). If its too late to avoid then diaper rash cream will heal it up quick.

One Dawg to the rescue of another one...

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Health, Safety & Hygiene Discussion of Health, Safety & Hygiene issues on the Trail

Treat it before it becomes a problem.

see post,......

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...6&postcount=22

yep to get rid of it clean and dry well then apply your favorite diaper rash treatment. I prefer beaudreax's butt paste. Worked well for me when I got a reall bad case of it once.

To prevent it I prefer those boxer briefs--lift and separate along with unscented baby powder applied after a good cleaning and drying.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

There are numerous prior threads on this where many remedies and arguments have been hashed out. For the OP, search "chafing."

I had a horrible problem with chafing a few years back and tried a lot of things. There are, I think, three causes of chafing: thigh-thigh rubbing, thigh-scrotum rubbing, and underwear seam rubbing. If the source of your chafing is either of the first two, then boxer shorts or no underwear at all is the worst thing you can do.

For prevention on the first two, quality compression underwear should solve the cause of chafing - it did for me.

For treatment once you have chafing, BodyGlide has worked for me. I have had it so bad that the area was bleeding and applied BodyGlide at the end of the day's hike and again just before going to sleep, and woke the next morning to find it amazingly healed.

I don't doubt that Gold Bond and some other salves can achieve the same results, but what I like about BodyGlide is the no-hassle application. It is like a stick deodorant and can be applied just like you apply stick deodorant to your armpits - no mess, no powder to get all over everything trying to get it to adhere to the affected area - no greasy residue either. It can be applied as a preventitive either in combination with compression shorts or as the sole preventative.

Now-a-days, I wear compression shorts and have not had any chafing nor had to use the stick of BodyGlide I ALWAYS carry in a long time. But just like moleskin, I consider a small stick of BodyGlide to be an absolutely essential item in my hiking first aid kit.

I had finally come to a culmination of pain last year with chaffing, with one of the worst cases of inner thigh "rot" that I ever want to experience.

Bio wipes to wipe down the inside of your legs every night is crucial to remove the salt (or just a wet bandana)

Ventilation to reduce sweating and salt buildup while hiking

And body glide morning and night. Problem solved.

Of course...I've been hiking so much and my calves are so big they started chaffing together The thin trails are more fun though, don't like the ol' 4 lane hiker highways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Another vote for Body Glide! REI carries it if you have one near you, if not check places like running stores, sporting goods joints, etc.
    i like to support the outfitters near the trail, i get most of my gear at mt. rogers. i'll even check things out or try them on at my local place then call jeff at MRO.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Bryan (my spouse) uses good old cornstarch... cheap and easy.

wash away the salt as often as possible and let it air. alot of people don't want to hear this but kilts ended ALL of my chaffing problems.

geek

Images

I tried the compression shorts but they were hot really hot. What's the trick to keep from roasting?

Looking into kilts myself... I know you all cant wait for the pics

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++