WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    ...Toilet paper is paper. It's no different to bury toilet paper than food wrappings, pieces of cardboard, trail journals or yesterday's New York Times. They are paper. If you're one of us who believes, "Pack it in and pack it out," has a meaning for not leaving waste of any kind along trails, you'll pack it out. Will it degrade someday? Perhaps. Will it affect the environment in an unnatural manner in the process? Yes, by definition....
    163 things you can compost. BTW, composting is a process to decompose organic matter in the same way leaves on the forest floor decomposes. The only difference is that composting is an enhanced process. http://www.plantea.com/compost-materials.htm

Paper napkins
    Freezer-burned vegetables
    Burlap coffee bags
    Pet hair
    Potash rock
    Post-it notes
    Freezer-burned fruit
    Wood chips
    Bee droppings
    Lint from behind refrigerator
    Hay
    Popcorn (unpopped, 'Old Maids,' too)
    Freezer-burned fish
    Old spices
    Pine needles
    Leaves
    Matches (paper or wood)
    Seaweed and kelp
    Hops
    Chicken manure
    Leather dust
    Old, dried up and faded herbs
    Bird cage cleanings
    Paper towels
    Brewery wastes
    Grass clippings
    Hoof and horn meal
    Molasses residue
    Potato peelings
    Unpaid bills
    Gin trash (wastes from cotton plants)
    Weeds
    Rabbit manure
    Hair clippings from the barber
    Stale bread
    Coffee grounds
    Wood ashes
    Sawdust
    Tea bags and grounds
    Shredded newspapers
    Egg shells
    Cow manure
    Alfalfa
    Winter rye
    Grapefruit rinds
    Pea vines
    Houseplant trimmings
    Old pasta
    Grape wastes
    Garden soil
    Powdered/ground phosphate rock
    Corncobs (takes a long time to decompose)
    Jell-o (gelatin)
    Blood meal
    Winery wastes
    Spanish moss
    Limestone
    Fish meal
    Aquarium plants
    Beet wastes
    Sunday comics
    Harbor mud
    Felt waste
    Wheat straw
    Peat moss
    Kleenex tissues
    Milk (in small amounts)
    Soy milk
    Tree bark
    Starfish (dead ones!)
    Melted ice cream
    Flower petals
    Pumpkin seeds
    Q-tips (cotton swabs: cardboard, not plastic sticks)
    Expired flower arrangements
    Elmer's glue
    BBQ'd fish skin
    Bone meal
    Citrus wastes
    Stale potato chips
    Rhubarb stems
    Old leather gardening gloves
    Tobacco wastes
    Bird guano
    Hog manure
    Dried jellyfish
    Wheat bran
    Guinea pig cage cleanings
    Nut shells
    Cattail reeds
    Clover
    Granite dust
    Moldy cheese
    Greensand
    Straw
    Shredded cardboard
    Dolomite lime
    Cover crops
    Quail eggs (OK, I needed a 'Q' word)

Rapeseed meal
    Bat guano
    Fish scraps
    Tea bags (black and herbal)
    Apple cores
    Electric razor trimmings
    Kitchen wastes
    Outdated yogurt
    Toenail clippings
    Shrimp shells
    Crab shells
    Lobster shells
    Pie crust
    Leather wallets
    Onion skins
    Bagasse (sugar cane residue)
    Watermelon rinds
    Date pits
    Goat manure
    Olive pits
    Peanut shells
    Burned oatmeal (sorry, Mom)
    Lint from clothes dryer
    Bread crusts
    Cooked rice
    River mud
    Tofu (it's only soybeans, man!)
    Wine gone bad (what a waste!)
    Banana peels
    Fingernail and toenail clippings
    Chocolate cookies
    Wooden toothpicks
    Moss from last year's hanging baskets
    Stale breakfast cereal
    Pickles
    'Dust bunnies' from under the bed
    Pencil shavings
    Wool socks
    Artichoke leaves
    Leather watch bands
    Fruit salad
    Tossed salad (now THERE's tossing it!)
    Brown paper bags
    Soggy Cheerios
    Theater tickets
    Lees from making wine
    Burned toast
    Feathers
    Animal fur
    Horse manure
    Vacuum cleaner bag contents
    Coconut hull fiber
    Old or outdated seeds
    Macaroni and cheese
    Liquid from canned vegetables
    Liquid from canned fruit
    Old beer
    Wedding bouquets
    Greeting card envelopes
    Snow
    Dead bees and flies
    Horse hair
    Peanut butter sandwiches
    Dirt from soles of shoes, boots
    Fish bones
    Ivory soap scraps
    Spoiled canned fruits and vegetables
    Produce trimmings from grocery store
    Cardboard cereal boxes (shredded)
    Grocery receipts
    Urine (It's true! Read the letters below)

...Human solid waste is different from animal waste that is in the wilderness. It contains bacteria (some of them pathogens) and viruses that are not found locally, often including giardia or other paths that are transmitted by the oral/fecal route. It is now recognized that giardia is transmitted as much (if not more) by human waste; interrrupting this vector by not leaving it in the wild can help reduce that problem. Additionally, there are a lot of trace pharmaceuticals that end up leaching through groundwater (i.e. the water that flows at the impermeable level below soil) to water courses such as springs and creeks, with the result that wildlife up the food chain concentrates pharmaceuticals that are harmful. (Much of the soil along the AT is very shallow, and rock and clay are not far beneath the topsoil.) This is increasingly a concern of biologists, and it, too, is avoidable but serious.

4) Urinating on rocks is prudent; the water in the urine will evaporate far more rapidly, without concentrating the urine salts in a puddle in the ground....
    The Weasel
    Please provide a link to support your claim about how dangerous crapping is to the environment.

Pissing on rocks, you can't be serious

Wow, how did I miss this thread for so long?

I haven't read all of it but its sad to see people with age who feel entitled to leaving their trash/ paper in the woods. They probably are the same types who feel entitled to leaving trash in fire pits.

As for packin poop, don't ask, don't tell. Maybe that was another thread. I don't pack poo butt I can see where its not such a bad idea. I think it gets people away from addressing the paper issue though. Mix and bury your poop- I can live with. Don't pee near shelters. Pack out your paper or if you are just too uppity- burn it.

Hard to imagine so many post but I guess we all talk a lot of crap.

Images

As for attacks on me by Saimoji (sorry for typo on name but I'm past the message), that's just par for the course. It's called an "ad hominem" attack, which means when you don't want to debate a topic on the merits, you just attack the speaker.

As for 'obsession,' well, I have a lot of topics that I've spoken to on WB over the years, a lot longer than Saimoji (sorry again). I was here before him/her, and I'll probably be here after he/she has left. This is one topic, and yes, the environment matters to me. Speaking sort of as a lawyer again, we in this generation do not really own property as much as hold it in trust for our children's children's children. We need to honor that stewardship; God gave us this Earth not to harm or pillage, but to protect. Others disagree with me. But this is not a trivial topic.

John? As for urine, I've provided a lot of cites over the years. Go look them up. Start with the VERY good book, "How to Sh** In The Woods." If you have an inquiring and open mind, you'll do your own research; if you don't, no amount of information I can give you will change your mind. And as for a couple hundred things that will compost, I loved how you skipped over "composting does it faster." Much faster. Sometimes months and years faster. Composting is a labor intensive activity, which is why many people try it and give it up.

I remain amazed at the lack of any answer to my question: If it is so unnecessary to pack out TP, why do we all consider it desireable to pack out our food packaging and other paper? Why not bury that, too, if burying is so harmless? The question contains its own answer, of course.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    163 things you can compost. BTW, composting is a process to decompose organic matter in the same way leaves on the forest floor decomposes. The only difference is that composting is an enhanced process. http://www.plantea.com/compost-materials.htm

Paper napkins
    ***toast
    Feathers
    Cardboard cereal boxes (shredded)
    Grocery receipts
    Urine (It's true! Read the letters below)
    So you propose to just leave any of these buried a few inches below soil anywhere along the AT?

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

So you propose to just leave any of these buried a few inches below soil anywhere along the AT?

TW
    Not proposing anything, but if one were to, it would not harm a thing. And yes I did say it would compost quicker (given proper management) and decompose slower in a natural setting, but so what that doesn't mean it is harmful to the environment just because is decomposes slower.

As for pathogens and bacteria, they are all over the place. When an animal dies in the woods (happens all the time) it is full of pathogens that seep into the ground, or what about all the privies; where do all the pathogens go?(And those privies, whether muldering/composting/ conventional are teaming with pathogens. Pathogens are all around us, yet the biggest health issue on the trail is hypothermia.

...John? As for urine, I've provided a lot of cites over the years. Go look them up....
    TW
    Actually, until this thread I've never heard of the LNT practice that promotes pissing on rocks in leiu of soil/plants. Don't worry about the references, I'm not interested, I wouldn't even read them. That's just more radicalized LNT crap as far as I'm concerned. People have been pissing in the woods along the AT forever and I'm sure the overwhelming majority of all pisses have been on soil/plants and it hasn't hurt a damn thing.

Images

John's "certainty" ("I'm sure...hasn't hurt a damn thing.) reminds me of the joke from The Magnificent Seven, I think; Steve McQueen says, "That reminds me of the guy who jumped off the top of the saloon and said, as he went past the second floor, 'Everything's fine so far.'"

It's pretty well accepted in public health circles (my stepson has a Ph.D. there, so I listen to him pretty carefully) that human waste has played a major part in the spread - to pretty much the entire country - of giardia, from its originally rather limited territory in the west and far north of North America. Stopping such diseases - which also are devastating to animal populations - is part of the reason for encouraging better trail sanitation. And I reiterate that pharmaceutical residues, largely found in urine, are having an increasingly noticeable presence in groundwater that leaches from thin and rocky soils, such as is present on most of the AT.

It's true, folks. Just because John thinks it's not harmful to bury any waste - paper, garbage, more - isn't something to emulate. If you don't care about garbage and waste along trails, well, I can't make you care. But don't try to tell me that burying theater tickets, food waste, and - yes - human waste is harmless. It's not.

TW

As for attacks on me by Saimoji (sorry for typo on name but I'm past the message), that's just par for the course. It's called an "ad hominem" attack, which means when you don't want to debate a topic on the merits, you just attack the speaker.....
    oh come off it Rusty....you know i don't bear you any ill will....just messin' around. i don't care if you wanna pack out your poop.

Well TW, I think we’ve hit that "is not, is too…is not, is too…." wall. So no more reason to discuss this issue.

But two corrections:

... Composting is a labor intensive activity, which is why many people try it and give it up...TW
    Composting is no more labor intensive than taking the garbage to the curb - you just dump it in a different location. The people that make it labor intensive do so more out of a labor of love. I’m surprised someone who cares so much about the environment as you made that statement, it shows you have no practical experience.

... human waste is harmless. It's not.

TW
    Again, not saying it’s harmless; it is nasty and WILL cause disease, as do many things in nature, but nature will take care of it. And nature will take care of it much quicker in multiple droppings than in one large pile in a privy.

Images

Nice try, John: Close a discussion and then argue some more.

No, composting is not easy. It is additional effort, and most people don't choose to engage in it for that reason. As for human waste, that's why we don't bury it in our backyard (perhaps you do, but that doesn't count): Human waste usually contains a high amount of protein-based waste, which ruins composting.

As for it not being harmful, well, your local sewage treatment office and most public health officials would agree that is is. Most of them will also agree that even when it decomposes, significant amounts of toxins or microorganisms leach from that into groundwater. That's a large part of why Giardia protozoons have spread throughout the backcountry: Humans are responsible, in many cases more so than wild animals, for that spread. While it might not be as great a problem in deep soils that are adequately far from water sources, rocky soils (such as most of the AT, the PCT, and the CDT) and shallow soils on top of clays permit leaching of contaminants which then flow along the top of the impermeable layer. On this one, I'll even 'pull rank' since as I type this, I'm in a courthouse in a case involving contaminant flow of leachate entering groundwater. It happens, and it happens a lot.

Those who don't care about these things should continue to leave their TP in the woods, along with the cardboard, theater tickets and all the rest of the things you say aren't harmful. The rest of us should pack all of those out. Even the Spamalot tickets.

So sorry; your 'corrections' aren't.

TW

Reasons TP- is not- considered litter:

A) no common sense
    B) very little time spent on the AT
    C) laziness and a sense of entitlement
    D) all of the above!

Geeze this is like the pi$$ing contest Nean and I got into over onteh sleping with your food debate...only more entertaining.

Weasle makes some very good points...I agree with the assertion that Giardia and probably Crypto too have greatly increased their range due to human activites in the woods.

I know he will never convince John to pack anything out other than what he currently does but he definitely has me thinking about it. Like I daid before I just don't like the idea of plastic bags/kitty liter...there has to be a better way. I'm going to invest some grey matter in the issue of how to do it rather than if it should be done and if I come up with a better idea then well I'll be rich right?
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    ...there has to be a better way. I'm going to invest some grey matter in the issue of how to do it rather than if it should be done and if I come up with a better idea then well I'll be rich right?
    Is there something that can be added to a cathole that would kill toxins and help with the decomposing yet be light enough to carry? Perhaps something in a little spray bottle you could squirt into the hole?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Is there something that can be added to a cathole that would kill toxins and help with the decomposing yet be light enough to carry? Perhaps something in a little spray bottle you could squirt into the hole?
    hmmm. My house is on a septic system and we regularly add a treatment to aid the process. It is a very light powder that is mixed with water and poured down the drains. There are 2 questions, one is whether this treatment destroys the toxins and second since the treatment itself is a micro-organism designed specifically to "eat" the waste will the introduction of this microbe into the wilderness have unforseen negative consequences? I wonder if some spetic safe treatments do not use microbes, but something else?

the septic treatment also contains enzymes. I wonder if these alone would be effective and "safer" than the bacterial treatments.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    Geeze this is like the pi$$ing contest Nean and I got into over onteh sleping with your food debate...only more entertaining.

Weasle makes some very good points...I agree with the assertion that Giardia and probably Crypto too have greatly increased their range due to human activites in the woods.

I know he will never convince John to pack anything out other than what he currently does but he definitely has me thinking about it. Like I daid before I just don't like the idea of plastic bags/kitty liter...there has to be a better way. I'm going to invest some grey matter in the issue of how to do it rather than if it should be done and if I come up with a better idea then well I'll be rich right?
    There are a number of commercial companies selling "kits" which don't do much more than kitty litter or chlorine drops will do. They can be found on the Web. "How to S*** In The Woods" has a few contraptions that are more suited to canoes/rafts.

As for "adding something," you can't kill "toxins." Those are simply chemicals. In theory, most could be neutralized by other chemicals. Way too complex, and it won't happen. As for killing microbes, it's really hard to kill viruses, and some microbes don't give up easy, either. And to do it involves toxic chemicals which aren't good for the backwoods either (keep in mind that pharmaceuticals that would kill such things are by definition, "toxic" and "antibiotic".

I wish it were otherwise, folks, but sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy. But it's still the right thing.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post

There are a number of commercial companies selling "kits" which don't do much more than kitty litter or chlorine drops will do. They can be found on the Web. "How to S*** In The Woods" has a few contraptions that are more suited to canoes/rafts.

As for "adding something," you can't kill "toxins." Those are simply chemicals. In theory, most could be neutralized by other chemicals. Way too complex, and it won't happen. As for killing microbes, it's really hard to kill viruses, and some microbes don't give up easy, either. And to do it involves toxic chemicals which aren't good for the backwoods either (keep in mind that pharmaceuticals that would kill such things are by definition, "toxic" and "antibiotic".

I wish it were otherwise, folks, but sometimes doing the right thing isn't easy. But it's still the right thing.

TW

I like the idea of enzyme treating the waste...see that is thinking outside the box. But Weasle is correct that it is hard to kill viruses and other microbes and anthing that would do so would most likely be a very bad actor indeed.

Weasle my problem with packing it out is the plastic bag itself. I work in the plastics industry, well sort of--I'm a chemist for sure at least that's what my degree says I am, anyway the problem is disposal of the plastic bag. This is why I don't drink bottled water, bottled soda or plastic bottled beer (aside fromthe general principle of beer not belonging in plastic). I use plastic but only in durable items not disposable things. I'm not 100% effective on my self-imposed disposable plastics ban but I try.

Plastic bags (Ziplocks and the like) take years to break down in the landfill. Worse yet they end up floating out to sea where they get scooped up by whales and turtles and such. That is not a good situation either. It's not packing out the poo that turns me off--I'm rather neutral about it really. It's not that I think I am going to spoil the world but when done in concert with the rest of the folks out there it adds up but how much can one person really do about it? Not packing it out is not directly harming me today: depositing all the pharma. load and the non-native microbes are at best microscopic long development time issues so it is easy to ignore them. Where as platics are visible and starve sea turtles.

Like I said as for the act of packing it out I am neutral towards and would probably sign on if a better system were devised...stand by I'm working on it.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    hmmm. My house is on a septic system and we regularly add a treatment to aid the process. It is a very light powder that is mixed with water and poured down the drains. There are 2 questions, one is whether this treatment destroys the toxins and second since the treatment itself is a micro-organism designed specifically to "eat" the waste will the introduction of this microbe into the wilderness have unforseen negative consequences? I wonder if some spetic safe treatments do not use microbes, but something else?
    How effective is the treatment after you run bleach or dial soap into the septic system?

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++