Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 427
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I've already ceded this argument to those who know more about it and/or feel more passionately about it, but I just wanted to say that I miss the work of Gary Larson. He was funny, a lover of nature, and satirical without being mean.

    Peter

    P.S. He's not dead, just mostly out of the public eye.

  2. #182
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    I'll pass on collecting and storing and hanging poop or used TP.
    I ain't gonna sleep with it neither.
    ...and thats why there is used poop paper all over.
    Good job!?

    Thanks.....for littering?


    I hope you burn your T -paper NN.

    Have you heard about the 2 reasons why people feel like you do?

    Maybe you have another reason?
    Are you able to share w/ us why you feel this way?

  3. #183
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-11-2004
    Location
    Grafton, NH
    Age
    72
    Posts
    2,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Some real dumb people don't have any common sense either. Lucky for many of them, they are born to rich familys and get jobs in politics.
    I'm going to be more selective of who I get for parents in my next life...but not in a political or religious way.

  4. #184
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-08-2005
    Location
    By the tall marsh grass.
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    ...and thats why there is used poop paper all over.
    Good job!?

    Thanks.....for littering?


    I hope you burn your T -paper NN.

    Have you heard about the 2 reasons why people feel like you do?

    Maybe you have another reason?
    Are you able to share w/ us why you feel this way?
    Just exactly where is "The Land of Pagosah", Weasel's back yard?

  5. #185
    Registered User Jayboflavin04's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-15-2008
    Location
    Dover, Ohio
    Age
    43
    Posts
    625
    Images
    59

    Default

    I was in Dollysods in the middle of a blueberry field.....There was no if's and's or Butts about it.....I had to go. There was no way to walk off the trail (a sea of blueberry bushes). When I tried to dig a cat hole nothing but roots. I did my best to dig as deep as I could and to bury properly.
    All I had was a daypack on nothing really to pack it out.
    What was I to do....
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

  6. #186
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Just exactly where is "The Land of Pagosah", Weasel's back yard?
    Thanks for sharing your reasons- for littering?

    I am curious if there are any other reasons for your actions / attitude- besides the ones I pointed out and admitted to- myself. Not tryin to pick a fight and its not personal, but since you have stated that you don't pack out your litter- I was wondering why?


    The "just because" attitude makes my point and thats why I used your example. Thank you

    Pagosa Springs is a cdt trail town in southern colorado. Pagosah is a native word meaning boiling or healing waters- depending on who you ask.
    I have been known to sneak into TWs backyard on several occasions however, for the purpose of burying loads I deemed too large for the safety of my indoor plumbing.

    I'd still like to know the problem w/ TP - sealed- in a trash can or dumpster. My mind isn't closed to new ways of thinking- or doing.

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    I was in Dollysods in the middle of a blueberry field.....There was no if's and's or Butts about it.....I had to go. There was no way to walk off the trail (a sea of blueberry bushes). When I tried to dig a cat hole nothing but roots. I did my best to dig as deep as I could and to bury properly.
    All I had was a daypack on nothing really to pack it out.
    What was I to do....
    Mix w/ soil and burn or pack your paper. I've heard of the spread and disperse method where rocky or no soil exist. I've done that w/ dog poo on the trail. I bury my dogs poo btw.

  8. #188

    Default

    wow, five more pages since i went to poop in the woods for a few days. why am i not surprised? and, no, i have no plans of catching up on more drivel, just popping in to let you know what people who live in the woods, AMC caretakers, have to say... their composting latrines turn poop AND paper into compost that they sprinkle around the forest floor... silly me pressed one of them about tp, he said no, he sees no tp left after a few weeks in the compost... and that it doesn't last much longer in a cat hole... (talking NE woods, not dessert here)... the guy i talked to is way more experienced in these matters than our resident internet poop carrier prophet of doom... tin man out on this thread/topic.


  9. #189
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    ***
    TW- why can't I throw away TP w/ my other trash. Our cat poop goes in the trash, sometimes doggie poo makes it in w/ the clippings that go to the dump here in the 'burbs where I visit. Better to flush it I reckon, but why is it bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    I have been known to sneak into TWs backyard on several occasions however, for the purpose of burying loads I deemed too large for the safety of my indoor plumbing.

    I'd still like to know the problem w/ TP - sealed- in a trash can or dumpster. My mind isn't closed to new ways of thinking- or doing.
    Nean:

    You don't need to sneak into our backyard; come in the front door and use the toilet. You're always welcome. If you sneak in back, Laguna Beach police are liable to give you the famous "California Cop Welcome." That's to be avoided. Just knock and I'll buy you a beer, too.

    As for the problem with TP, there are several reasons not to put it in the trash or dumpster; the leading two are:

    1) It's illegal to deposit human waste items in a dumpster since they human waste is considered biohazard (see below). This includes sharps and other items.

    2) TP isn't like cat/dog waste, most of which will not contain diseases which can be communicated to humans. (Yes, I know giardia is an exception.) Human waste, though, can contain a variety of microbes that can transmit disease at any of a number of stages in the trash disposal process, including HIV, typhoid, and a large number of others, including a number of diseases for which the carrier may be symptom-free. Most sewage treatment plants and most (legal) septic systems will minimize or, commonly, eliminate this risk far more as part of the treatment and disposal of sewage sludge process.

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-15-2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Age
    38
    Posts
    162

    Default A minor point

    I'm fairly certain you're wrong on the HIV front, not that it's all that central to your argument.

    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa35.htm

    "Since the HIV concentrations used in laboratory studies are much higher than those actually found in blood or other specimens, drying of HIV-infected human blood or other body fluids reduces the theoretical risk of environmental transmission to that which has been observed - essentially zero."

    http://www.mnaidsproject.org/learn/transmission.htm

    "Sweat, Feces, Vomit—are NOT considered infectious. HIV has never been found in these materials. The only possible risk would be if there was blood present."

  11. #191
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-16-2005
    Location
    Land of Pagosah
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    wow, five more pages since i went to poop in the woods for a few days. why am i not surprised? and, no, i have no plans of catching up on more drivel, just popping in to let you know what people who live in the woods, AMC caretakers, have to say... their composting latrines turn poop AND paper into compost that they sprinkle around the forest floor... silly me pressed one of them about tp, he said no, he sees no tp left after a few weeks in the compost... and that it doesn't last much longer in a cat hole... (talking NE woods, not dessert here)... the guy i talked to is way more experienced in these matters than our resident internet poop carrier prophet of doom... tin man out on this thread/topic.

    Hey TM, I'm silly too!

    I thought AMC caretakers lived in nice cabins that folks pay big bucks to stay in? Those croo kids are great but I'm guessing I've got more time in "the woods" than any of them if time spent is a point.
    Do they mix something (wood chips) with the compost up there that helps speed things up? Would they rather you use the composting latrine or find a good spot outside? Only weeks of labor intensive work you say? Is using well staffed composting latrines really the same as getting a little soil over your litter commonly refered to as: outa sight - outa mind?

    I don't know what you and TW have going but all I know is I've seen way too much litter in the form of TP along the trails. It didn't get there by itself and it wouldn't be there if self entitled people didn't leave it there.
    Funny how litter happens, isn't it. Let us pause for the laughter.......................................... .............................ok, now my side hurts. I want to go on record and say I'd probably leave my TP in the composting latrines at the AMC huts, but not in the woods.

    You won't see my TP anywhere in the woods for any reason- 'cause I pack out what I and others pack in, leaving the trail nicer than I found it. Isn't that silly?

    One day I was walking down the trail- in the middle of the woods- and about every 100 yards was a used kleenex. It had rained the night before so I knew these were "fresh". I gathered these flowers in an empty zip and after a mile or 2 and dozens of flowers I caught up to the lady in the act of blowing her nose (she had the "sniffles") and tossing the paper. Heres some more funny- she was more shocked and discusted than I was!!! .................................................. ................................ok

    Believe it or not she thought it was perfectly acceptable behavior- hers- not mine. And for the same reasons given here. I mean where do you draw the line? Last time I drew a line in the dirt I uncovered some lazy persons litter!

    Sometimes I'll burn paper but usually its just easier to pack.

  12. #192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    I mean where do you draw the line?
    3 smilies.

    Just kidding. Great story about the Kleenex lady.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

  13. #193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post

    As for the problem with TP, there are several reasons not to put it in the trash or dumpster; the leading two are:

    1) It's illegal to deposit human waste items in a dumpster since they human waste is considered biohazard..........
    Nationally? State by State? Locally? You're a lawyer. Be specific. Show me some law. Otherwise I'm calling BS.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Nationally? State by State? Locally? You're a lawyer. Be specific. Show me some law. Otherwise I'm calling BS.
    I'll be glad to show you "some law" as soon as you send the retainer.

    Actually, since it's so easy to research yourself, and since you're really, really smart, Mowgli (as well as known for an open mind), I'll let you do the reseach yourself. But just to give you a head start (you did go to Head Start?), here's a first taste, for free:

    http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

    As for calling BS, well, that has it's own humorous aspect, but I'll leave the reader to their own imagination.

    TW


    But just to help
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  15. #195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    I'll be glad to show you "some law" as soon as you send the retainer.

    Actually, since it's so easy to research yourself, and since you're really, really smart, Mowgli (as well as known for an open mind), I'll let you do the reseach yourself. But just to give you a head start (you did go to Head Start?), here's a first taste, for free:

    http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

    As for calling BS, well, that has it's own humorous aspect, but I'll leave the reader to their own imagination.

    TW


    But just to help
    Local law. Thought so. Thanks for the answer Counselor!

    PS: Long time. Hope you are well. Really.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

  16. #196
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-04-2002
    Location
    Oriental, NC
    Age
    72
    Posts
    6,690
    Images
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Local law. Thought so. Thanks for the answer Counselor!

    PS: Long time. Hope you are well. Really.
    Mowgli: Lots of Federal law, too, out there. RCRA, CWA, other good stuff. I make decent money on it, so I know you'll agree when you finish your research. And if you decide not to, I'll give you a discount on my hourly rate to finish it off for you!

    For the rest of you, yes, Federal law, most states, and most municipalities (including counties and cities/towns) have prohibitions against disposal of human waste in garbage containers. As with many laws, while occasional depositors may not get arrested (the FBI really doesn't make a high priority out of inspecting litter bins for human turds), laws like this are passed to protect people from harm, and this is an example of that. If - like many of us - you pack our TP and/or solid waste, it belongs in the sewage treatment stream, not garbage cans.

    TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

  17. #197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Nationally? State by State? Locally? You're a lawyer. Be specific. Show me some law. Otherwise I'm calling BS.
    Marje works for a trash and recycling company and it's DEFINITELY a federal offense to deposit and bio hazardous material into dumpsters or containers that are strictly for trash.

    Including human waste and animal waste.....and much more

  18. #198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Marje works for a trash and recycling company and it's DEFINITELY a federal offense to deposit and bio hazardous material into dumpsters or containers that are strictly for trash.

    Including human waste and animal waste.....and much more
    Used TP? Nationally? What about disposable diapers?

    If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

    I tend to get more upset about raw sewage in a body of water. Happens every day in America. Despite the Clean Water Act.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

  19. #199
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-29-2008
    Location
    REHOBOTH BEACH, DE
    Age
    68
    Posts
    1,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Mowgli: Lots of Federal law, too, out there. If - like many of us - you pack our TP and/or solid waste, it belongs in the sewage treatment stream, not garbage cans.

    TW
    Doesn't this mean the poo packer outers are law breakers when they pack out thier poo and leave it in trash receptacles? Seriously, you expect people to carry thier poo until they find a flush toilet? What about the plastic bags? You don't want us to flush the bags or dump them in privys, do you? This conversation has gotten poopadiculous.

  20. #200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    This conversation has gotten poopadiculous.
    I bet if turds started washing up on Rehoboth Beach, you'd be mighty unhappy!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •