WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Foothills Trail-trying to help out a hiker

My tech at work is soon to do the Foothills Trail (despite summers heat)...I told him maybe I can resupply him where the trail crosses Lake Jocassee.
    So for anyone who has done the Foothills Trail at the Toxaway River Access can I get close enough to the trail in a kayak to drop off the foot bag? I'll be paddling from Devils Fork State Park.
    Reason I ask is because I'll be in a sea kayak and the pics I've seen taken from the Toxaway Bridge look like its whitewater where the Foothills Trail crosses.
    Thanks for any clues.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Yes, the lake is very close by - unless the water levels are way down. Good luck!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Took out at that point a few years ago, hitched a ride with some boaters back to the ramp. Its a doable resupply spot as you are considering, I rememebr the water being down and had to walk the shore a little bit.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

The rapids and falls on the Toxaway River come all the way down to the lake, but the trail goes right by the edge of the lake. If you are putting in at Devils Fork landing you may want to get an early start, because I think it's almost 5 miles one way.

Yes, definitely doable. Just may require some walking depending on the lake level.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Thanks to all for the info....

Like I said I'm just trying to help resupply a hiker. The paddle over for me will just be a nice excuse to 'hang' somewhere on the lake. I know that's a long section without easy resupply and thought this might help out the load considering the heat he'll have to deal with-he's doing this in 2 weeks....and I've paddled behind the waterfall on the other side of Jocassee but never paddled up into this arm...seems like a win win for both of us. Thanks again.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

The lake level is back up to about where it should be., but that doesn't affect the trail length around the lake. Two weeks is plenty of time for someone to do the Foothills Trail at a fairly leisurely pace. I almost blew a gasket once trying to rush around Lake Jocassee in one day in the heat. It's a good place to slow down a little and hit the water.

Images

There's actually two points you could do that where the Toxaway flows into Jocassee. The Toxaway itself I wouldn't go for, not that it's a big deal, but as you approach it there is another stream to the right that runs straight up to the foothills trail and that would be the best place IMO.

Images

I believe the Canebrake access on the toxaway is what you referering too and yes that would be very easy as long as the water level is up.

I camped at the campsite just before the suspension bridge in '98. As I was drawing water from the lake, a lady in a tri-hull pulled up and made a few casts. The bridge is actually where the river turns to lake if it's full. According to today's data, the lake is just under three feet below full pool. So, it is certainly doable. It sounds like a great paddle from Devil's Fork. I think the distance is closer to eight miles, though.

litefoot 2000

While helping out to resupply a hiker is admirable I would think that if your friend is thru-hiking the traditional route of the official Foothills Trail between Table rock SP and Oconee SP it's less than 80 miles. Even if a thru-hiker was only averaging 10 miles per day, which is feasable/definitely doable for most hikers on this trail, that would only mean 7 days food. Doesn't seem warranted to haul a big resupply for such a short distance.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    While helping out to resupply a hiker is admirable I would think that if your friend is thru-hiking the traditional route of the official Foothills Trail between Table rock SP and Oconee SP it's less than 80 miles. Even if a thru-hiker was only averaging 10 miles per day, which is feasable/definitely doable for most hikers on this trail, that would only mean 7 days food. Doesn't seem warranted to haul a big resupply for such a short distance.
    Perhaps he is re-supplying him with BEER!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I carried 7 days of food when I did it in the Spring of '08. Wasn't a problem at all. I guess some folks get down to a 20-25 lb pack and don't want to go any heavier for any reason though . . . HYOH.

From Devils fork to the area you are talking about is a good ways. I think it is closer to 8 miles... keep an eye out for the weather. Storms will slip up on you out of nowhere on that lake.

++ New Posts ++