WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Smithsonian to open Earl Shaffer exhibition

Images

"featured items include Shaffer's trail diary from his pioneering 1948 hike" (http://ydr.inyork.com/ci_12633893)

That I'd like to see.

great link, thanks!!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Going to have to play "tourist" sometime and go see that!

Default Fyi

I'm posting this link to the SI for anyone who might be visiting. I'll drop by on my trip to DC this summer, if time allows. I wanted to find out which bldg, directions, hours of operation.

http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/documentsgallery/

Default Earl Shaffer and the A.T. Exhibit Opens Today

ATC's press release about the exhibit...

Laurie P.

EARL SHAFFER AND THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL
    OPENS AT THE SMITHSONIAN

WASHINGTON, D.C. (June 10, 2009)—“Earl Shaffer and the Appalachian Trail,” celebrating the early years of the Appalachian Trail project and Shaffer’s historic 1948 thru-hike, opens today in the Albert Small Documents Room of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History.
    The exhibit, which will remain in place through October 11, follows displays in the same space this year of Abraham Lincoln and Duke Ellington artifacts. Walking with Spring, Shaffer’s lyrical account of his first Appalachian Trail hike, is a major focus of the exhibit, along with other papers and artifacts Shaffer donated to the Smithsonian after his 1998, “50th anniversary” thru-hike at age 79, three years before his death. (He also hiked end-to-end southbound in 1965.)

Maps and other objects from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy adorn the walls, and that book and related products will be on sale at the museum gift shops. An Internet connection will take visitors to interactive exhibits as well.
    The Earl Shaffer Foundation, operated by his family and friends, retains other Shaffer papers and artifacts.

Shaffer’s “lofty achievement has inspired tens of thousands and even today, on a better path, a thru-hike is a noteworthy feat…,” notes ATC Executive Director Dave Startzell. “It is perhaps only within the Appalachian Trail management community that he is remembered as a different sort of role model: He hiked the whole trail and then spent a lifetime giving back to it as a volunteer: building shelters, maintaining trail sections, helping other hikers, and favoring thousands of us with his gifts as a master storyteller. A quiet man of modest means and lifestyle, his passion for the trail and its hikers was rock-solid.”

Further information about the exhibit can be found here {http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibition.cfm?key=38&exkey=1303}.

Images

A friend gave me a page out of his address book with Earl's name and phone number, which was written in Earl's own hand.
    Magic Man
    Boo-Boo (ME->GA SOBO '07)'s dad

Images

Unhappy Went to the exhibit today

Well. Let's just say that I'm really really really glad that we live here and didn't make a special long trip to see the Earl Shaffer exhibit. It's only about a 20 minute drive for us. It couldn't have been in a smaller room if they'd used a restroom for it. They had his boots, his journal and that was about it. There were a few informational postings on the walls, with very very few photos - all reproductions - and an interactive computer screen. You could pick a point along the trail where Earl had made a diary entry, touch the screen there, and then read the entry. We would have been hard pressed to spend 10 minutes seeing it all. So, unless you've never been to the Smithsonian Mall and want to spend time seeing everything else or just enjoy browsing the museums even if you've seen it all 100 times before (and we have) then don't go out of your way to make the trip.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Well. Let's just say that I'm really really really glad that we live here and didn't make a special long trip to see the Earl Shaffer exhibit. It's only about a 20 minute drive for us. It couldn't have been in a smaller room if they'd used a restroom for it. They had his boots, his journal and that was about it. There were a few informational postings on the walls, with very very few photos - all reproductions - and an interactive computer screen. You could pick a point along the trail where Earl had made a diary entry, touch the screen there, and then read the entry. We would have been hard pressed to spend 10 minutes seeing it all. So, unless you've never been to the Smithsonian Mall and want to spend time seeing everything else or just enjoy browsing the museums even if you've seen it all 100 times before (and we have) then don't go out of your way to make the trip.
    So sad that it's so small! There is so much potential there! Thanks for the heads up, though! I was thinking of planning a trip up there. Guess I'll save my money and go backpacking instead!

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

I was just on DC for the weekend and came across the Shaffer exhibit, entirely by accident. While it was an exciting find, I also thought it was far too limited. Still nice to see the AT getting some love from the Smithsonian though.
    --There is always more uphill.

Default It Was Interesting...

I went today... Funny, I overheard several people ask if Earl was the one who painted blazes on trees, or made the trail... (even though the first thing on the wall was an explanation of who Earl was). The boots were a sight! Did you know he poured sand into his shoes to condition his feet?! YOW.

Indeed it was a small exhibit but you have to think the Smithsonian is a big big place that houses tons of American culture. I think it's awesome Earl got the amount of real estate that he has in there! Not everyone knows what the AT is, and it's a good way to raise some awareness, even if it is from a belly-busting couch-potato.

But the point is well made: the exhibit at the Smithsonian is a small one. Be advised.

I saw it on Saturday. I 100% enjoyed it, sure I would have liked to see more love for the AT, but let's not too carried away people, this is the Smithsonian not your local rec center. Space is limited.

"FYI.

Earl did not walk the entire AT in 1998.

History should be based on actual fact."

MAGS EDIT:....this thread is about the Earl Shaffer thru-hike(s) and the museum exhibit. If you wish to start a a thread questioning Earl Shaffer's thru-hike... PLEASE START A NEW THREAD. THAT GOES BOTH PRO AND CON.

Further posts will be moved or deleted depending on how much coffee I have and whether I need to do something more productive like..I dunno.. hiking.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mags; 07-27-2009 at 18:14.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

People concerned about the relatively small size of the Smithsonian exhibit should be aware that an entire museum devoted to the A.T. will be opening next year in Pennsylvania. Those interested in information on the new museum (or better yet, those who want to contribute to the museum's success) can go to www.atmuseum.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    People concerned about the relatively small size of the Smithsonian exhibit should be aware that an entire museum devoted to the A.T. will be opening next year in Pennsylvania. Those interested in information on the new museum (or better yet, those who want to contribute to the museum's success) can go to www.atmuseum.org
    Yikes, if these folks need help with improving their website I'd be happy to help at no cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Yikes, if these folks need help with improving their website I'd be happy to help at no cost.
    Larry Luxenberg's contact info is listed there (he resides in Rockland County, NY), plus he's also on WB. It's absolutely amazing what he has done for this project especially considering he's working full time and lives not particularly close to Harpers Ferry nor Pine Grove Furnace. His award at Castleton was well deserved. I only wish I had time or talent to help out too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Thank you Jack for mentioning that. I meant to mention it in my post about the small size of the exhibit. It was great to see the boots and the journal - I was just giving a heads up about how small it really is for those who were perhaps planning a long/expensive trip to get here to see it if they weren't interested in seeing everything else there. Parking is a huge problem any time and not worth it to spend just a few minutes in one very small exhibit.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Storyteller
    Images

FYI, the Smithsonian's Web site for the exhibit includes an opportunity for folks to share photos from the AT. Might be nice if some of the great trail photos folks have shared on WB were shared with a wider audience.

Going Sunday. I'll take my 10 minute at the exhibit.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

++ New Posts ++