WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: LT semi yoyo

Question LT semi yoyo

How long would it take to go from the AT cutoff to the northern end of the LT, then back? Assuming I'm an AT thruhiker and in physical condtion. I've heard the LT north of Killington is similar to ME/NH when it comes to trail conditions.

i'd say give yourself a month.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Yep, the LT north of Mad River Glen (about 50 miles north of the AT cutoff), is quite rugged. An in-shape thru-hiker should be able to cover those first 50 miles in about 3 days. The next 100 miles to the Canadian border will take another week. So figure 3 weeks for the semi-yoyo. It took me quite a bit longer when I did this section in 1979, but then I was with my newbie younger brother, not yet in shape, and carrying a 50-pound pack with 70's-era equipment.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

It's essentially 340 miles, and although it's not exactly easy terrain, for a nobo AT hiker there should be no reason why you couldn't do that section in 18-22 days if you felt so inclined. Both times I hiked the LT I was doing 12-16's all through that section and I wasn't in top shape on either hike.

Quote Originally Posted by El Toro '94 View Post
    How long would it take to go from the AT cutoff to the northern end of the LT, then back? Assuming I'm an AT thruhiker and in physical condtion. I've heard the LT north of Killington is similar to ME/NH when it comes to trail conditions.
    I did it in just over two weeks back in 1990. It was really interesting coming back to the AT. I ran into a lot of hikers that were really my entries but did not believe they would ever catch up to me. It was fun.

Wolf

++ New Posts ++