WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Using one sleeping bag for the entire AT

I'm getting gear in order for a NOBO Thru-hike next year, and I need to get a new sleeping bag. I've been doing a lot of reading and am pretty much settled on getting a down bag for its low weight, packability, and comfort. I'm not too worried about getting it soaked.

Rather than get two different bags, I would like to get one good bag that I can use from start to finish. I'm not ultralight, but would prefer a bag around 2-3 lbs, if possible. As always, less expensive is better, but I know I don't want to skimp on a good bag. When it gets too warm out I figure I can just sleep in a silk liner.

Any suggestions for degree rating or specific models would be great. I would think a 15 or 20 degree bag would should work for the coldest weather when combined with thermals and the liner, but this may be too warm for most of the trail? How much does the type of sleeping pad (I'm open to suggestions here too) affect this in the winter?

Thanks for your help.

Hey Chowder! When are you planning to start? And finish by?

Images

Hi, Chowder,

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

You can certainly make one bag work the whole way. If you are starting in early March, a good 20-F rated bag will be mostly warm enough with clothing and maybe a liner.

If you are starting in mid-April, a 30-F bag would probably work.

Of course, a single bag is a compromise (that is, a solution that pleases no one ) A 20-F bag might be mostly warm enough to start, but too warm in the summer. But if you get a bag with a full zipper, it can be draped over you as a quilt in warm weather. This extends the comfort range of the bag dramatically.

If you want to start in early February, then you'll really need a winter bag to start, and swap out bags later on.

Look for a bag that is wide enough to allow you to wear clothing inside. I have a Western Mountaineering Megalite, which is a 30-F bag that is wide-cut, and I can take it down below 20 with the right clothing inside the bag. (Many WM bags are very narrow cut, like the Ultralight Super, a good 20-F bag.)

Happy trails.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Garlic
    Images

For the usual late March/early April start, I think a 20F down bag is a good choice. The full zipper would be good in warmer weather. Consider a bag with continuous tubes (no side baffles) so you can shift down to the top or bottom. Some don't like that feature, though.

I experienced several nights of sub-20F weather last April, over 6,000'. I'm really glad I didn't have a 30F bag then, but it would have been easy enough to bail out or sit it out if I did. Good luck in your choice--a down bag is a major investment and I hope you get it right.

As for the pad, most of the time on the AT a closed-cell foam pad is sufficient for insulation (comfort is a separate issue for many). I only had to actually camp on snow twice and my CCF pad was barely sufficient, but it worked.

PS: I had no problem at all keeping my bag dry on the AT last year.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Hey Chowder! When are you planning to start? And finish by?
    I'm planning to start around the last week of March. I'm trying to leave the end date somewhat open - let the hike progress as I find it. With that said, figure around the begining of Sept.

Hey! Welcome to WhiteBlaze ( I forgot to say that earlier). Well it sounds like a 20 deg. bag will do ok for the hike just make sure it's a full zipper draft tube one. Like Bigcranky said if you have some room to wear your extra clothes when in your bag you'll be fine. Keep an eye on the thermarest Neoair pad to see if it holds up this summer then maybe by Christmas it will be down in price.(I doubt it!) but if everyone who has one now still likes it by years end then that's the ticket for it's weight and size.

Images

dont rule out quilts.

If you are starting before the end of May, I'd recommend swaping out for a light weight summer bag sometime after Memorial day, and then get a heavier (warmer) bag back at Glencliff.

Campmor 20* down. Can't go wrong for the price.

geek

Since you say you are starting late march, I would say for value, the Campmor 20 degree down one is nice. We have many in our scout troop, and my son has one. It is not a true 20 degree bag thou, IMO. More like 30. But is is nice bag, full zip, and cost effective. If you have some warm layers at the start, I would say it can go to 20 no issues. But it is not a 20 degree one like a WM or montbell rated one, no way.

Images

I'd go with a 20 deg. bag and stick with it till the end. You will encounter nights on the trail in the 20's and 30's in April, May and possibly even June at high elevations.

Garlic
    Images

A few have mentioned the Campmor bag. I hiked my first thru with that bag, and yes, it's a good value. But it sounds like you're not adverse to spending a little more on a quality bag. When I replaced my Campmor bag with a really good one (Marmot Helium), I wanted to kick myself for waiting so long. A high quality bag is generally worth the money, if you use it a lot. I've had my Helium for five years now and on some very long hikes and wouldn't think of giving it up. So it has turned out to be more cost-effective in the long run than the Campmor bag. (I'm not recommending the Helium for a summer hike--way too warm and mine only has the half-zip, though I hear the new ones are full zip.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm still trying to decide whether it is worth it to just go with 2 bags like most people. If so, i'll probably go with a good 15 or 20 degree and then a light summer bag and switch out like a few of you suggested. If I go with the single bag, i'm thinking of going with the campmor 20 and a good fleece liner. Thanks for all the advice.

Personally, I haven't joined the swapping out bag club. I just carry the weight of my bag, and use as a quilt when warm outside. I never want to be cold at night, period. If you go the liner route, then you can send that home, saving that weight and space. My liner advise is try it first, you may like it or not. I tried and didn't, flip floppy sleeper that I am. Returned it. Also, IMO, if you are buying liner for warmth, buy a fleece type one, instead of silk. Bulkier and heavier, but warmer, IMO.

Default Campmor Bag

I carried the 20 degree Campmor bag the whole hike. It is one of the very few things that actually went the whole way. I started with it and a fleece liner on Feb. 13th. I did get cold a couple nights, especially Roan High knob Shelter. I sent the fleece bag home at Waynesboro. The sleeping bag alone worked well the 2nd half of the trip. Some of my buddies sent their bags home and tried to go with just a fleece bag or even poncho liners. I remember them being very cold a couple of nights.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Chowder View Post
    I'm still trying to decide whether it is worth it to just go with 2 bags like most people. If so, i'll probably go with a good 15 or 20 degree and then a light summer bag and switch out like a few of you suggested. If I go with the single bag, i'm thinking of going with the campmor 20 and a good fleece liner. Thanks for all the advice.

++ New Posts ++