WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Yo-Yo Hiking

Journal Entries
    Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by pahillbillybear View Post
    Jay, I agree with you entirely. The fun has to be there or there is no sense in trying. The only thing I am a purist at is salsa. Nothing quite like good salsa on a chip. I try to encourage people every chance I get. I think anyone can do a thru hike. I've never done one but I've never tried, yet. I'm waiting for my son to graduate from high school in 2013. We'll hike in 2014. Meantime, we'll have fun at cranberry glades and new river area in WV. There are folks on every forum who are always looking to down someone rather than encourage them. My encouragement to tater was to stop and smell the roses and find someone to hike with. Tater, if you are reading this, most people find hiking buddies on springer as well as in maine. Its no big deal. Good luck and if you stay on this forum and decide you want to hike in 2014, I'll hike a ways with you,
    I always wanted to thru-hike with my 3 sons, but they grew up went to college and now have careers and family responsibilities while I'm retired and rarin' to go. The closest I ever came was a week with all 4 of my children including my daughter who had never backpacked before at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico in the Fall of '02. So now I'm planning a solo SOBO next year.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Tuney View Post
    So now I'm planning a solo SOBO next year.

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"
    damn good choice

I haven't yo-yo'd but I did a thru in 1990 after living on the river in a canoe for 5 months. When I finished the trail at Katahdin, I still had 991 miles of bicycling to go to get home so although the trail was done, my trip wasn't.
    I again thru hiked in 2002 with no plans to do ANYTHING after Katahdin. I summited and awoke the next morning to feelings that I needed more and was not ready to quit. I started southbound with a few friends that flip-flopped and was having a great time until I came out of the woods at a road crossing in central Maine and my parents drove up in a car TOTALLY UNPLANNED! I ask what they were doing and their response was "just out riding around...figured that you would be around here somewhere" They knew that I had summited but they had no idea that I had headed back southbound or where I was. I thought about the chances of them just running into me in the middle of nowhere and I got in the car and went home..... still wonder how far I would have gotten.
    Go for it! Do Ga-Me and have fun...if you still feel like hiking, turn around and keep having fun! When it stops being fun...go home!
    Good luck...sounds like you could use some time away.

geek

Images

Hey Tot! Good luck man. The AT may not be like Iraq but you're ability to "improvise, adapt, & overcome" is something which will be very useful on the AT.

Look me up when you're coming thru Duncannon, PA. I'll take you to the VFW or American Legion for a few rounds.

I suggest you bring bubbles as your one piece of useless gear! The hike is long and it can get boring. Ur gonna need something thats guaranteed to make you smile for the times when you wanna quit!

so did tatortot start feb. 1st. 2010?

Dunno. But I wish him well.

But I think people should probably knock out the first 2175 miles before they think about doin' it again right away, meaning planning a yo-yo ahead of timeis all well and good, and finishing it is something else altogether.

I'd get to Maine first, and pause and re-group.

Most people starting out don't make it 450 miles down the Trail, never mind making it 4500.

I think people should have great dreams and great goals, but you might wanna keep them reasonable ones.

Journal Entries
    Images

Shoot I'll be happy if I just finish.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

good thread guys, enjoy this yo-yo forum.

Tatertot didn't start on Feb 1st and we didn't see him or hear of him that week.

How did your trip go? I'm planning to YOYO hike in 2014, starting March 4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hiking4Wellness View Post
    How did your trip go? I'm planning to YOYO hike in 2014, starting March 4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Tatertot didn't start on Feb 1st and we didn't see him or hear of him that week.
    The OP, Tatertot, last posted in 2009. Likely, they will not reply. Likely, they did not finish. Possibly, they did not even start.

Journal Entries
    Images

I received an e-mail on this thread today 1/21/2014. I hiked in 2010 using an Itinerary I found on the ATC web site called "Cool Breeze" which was a 3 way split. Hiking north from VA to CT starting in early April. Flipping to Maine in July hiking back to VA in Summer. Then flipping back to the original starting point in VA and hiking home to GA in the fall.

I did make a start solo hiking north you can find my journal in the 2010 journals. I Started in Central VA, and hiked north for 11 days covering +/- 100 miles.
    On the morning of the 11th day I had what I call my "Forrest Gump" moment. It was a beautiful morning, and everything was going very well. I felt good, had enough supplies, etc. etc. I just reached a point in the trail and stopped. After standing there for almost 30 minutes I understood that I had done everything I ever wanted to do and didn't have anything left to prove. So, I hiked back to the last road crossing, called a shuttle for a ride to Lynchburg, caught a train and came home. There are still some sections I would like to visit but, after years hiking with the boy scouts in the southern Appalachians, I don't need to do anymore PUDS "Pointless Ups And Downs". If I do anymore hiking, I will get together with a group of my slow hiking senior peers and do some section hiking.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    so did tatortot start feb. 1st. 2010?
    Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The OP, Tatertot, last posted in 2009. Likely, they will not reply. Likely, they did not finish. Possibly, they did not even start.
    Ditto. I'd bet my winning lottery ticket on it. As they say talk is cheap. Nice to opine at times but reality is that clues are evident in the OP's various posts that he was only thinking out loud(this would be kinda nice to do). Kinda like me saying it would be nice to own that new Ferrari and home on Star Island in Miami I've been looking at in magazines yet living in a Walmart tent in the woods expecting to obtain those things by working for minimum wage slinging fries at McDonalds. IMHO, WB is famous for these types of public fantasy announcements. Don't see many currently active yo yoers, speed record holders, etc regularly posting here do ya?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++