WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yo-Yo Hiking

Same as girl, I am inexperienced, and moreso than her. I agree that you should set your goals high. I always do. But I think your goals should be downsized a bit to having fun everyday regardless of the weather. I also think you might want to be more concerned about getting hurt. Folks fall off the trail all the time because of small things, like crappy creek water resulting in the craps, blisters, wrong mentality, wrong gear, homesick, or something really bad like a broken leg. Now to the idea of a yo yo. I have a healthy respect for the whites. They are gorgeous and deadly. Remember, you must climb katahdin by oct 15. Then head south back through the whites. If, after you climb katahdin, your thighs are not oak, they will be because you,ll need to have the snow shoes ready because it is going to get nasty really quick. The snow is on its way. There is a decent chance you,ll be shoeing a lot of it. All the creeks will be frozen, but you'll need as much water for winter hiking as for the summer. Remember that the winter pack weight will be considerably heavier than the summer one. Do you plan on enjoying some of the wonderful relationships found on the AT? What about some of the really cool towns. Will you take the time to stop and smell the roses? Or are you going to bypass all this and miss what many thru hikers call " the best part of the trail." I probabley sound like a worthless know it all. Actually, I'm fairly well read concerning the AT. If you have not read much about the trail, I would recommend that you go to the library and check out, or to amazon to buy, a couple of good AT books. Rhyming worm (name) has a fantastic book as does david brill, larry luxenberg, and michelle ray. No, I'm not a know it all. But the folks who wrote the above books have helped me tremendously to gain a better understanding of the AT. Lastly, and these are my words, I'd say to heck with the yo yo. Just walk and have fun. Mckay, Avery and God built this thing. Enjoy the journey rather than looking for the destination. Maybe I'll see you on the trail in 2014.

You just may see me on the trail in 2025, First off thanks for the advice PA thats what I was looking for when I had orignally posted. Snowshoeing that sounds like fun, there was a post earlier about being crazy well im not Manson crazy but im pretty close. I say a man only lives once!! The Pioneers did it all the time and they hard far less technology, yeah admitelly alot of them died too but we have mad advances. We should never think that we can conquer mother nature but we can lessen her sting!! I have a liner that weighs 1 pound its 11 degrees so that will make a good summer bag I plan on carrying them both. so thats why I have 4.5 days roughly of food and more when I get into the hundred mile wilderness. I have been doing some research on this off and on for years this has been my dream. I would like to meet some interesting people on the trail. I will be turning 30 on the trail I have been single since getting out of service over 5 years ago, no kids no marrige and no morgtage how cool is that, Oh and no truck payments either. So we will see, I would like to see the roses before I smell them some of them might not smell so well!!! Other than that I truly love the outdoors and the outdoor experience, I would like to one day do guided tours or maybe teach the boyscouts survival skills. I must say I have done my share of hiking in the past. I just did a small one not even enough to brag about last summer I took the AT south from the NOC IN SC Down to wayah bald and then took the bartram north (man that climb to cheoah bald now that was a climb) back down the AT and out and the bartram for those that have hiked it is very poorly marked so be careful you do walk to the right side of a shooting range on one side. Well that was 70 miles and 7 days of fun. I ran out of water on the second day, I was sucking water out my tuna packs and licking the dew off of the leaves!! I could feel my kidneys start to hurt after sometime I could tell I was dehyrdated, so I stopped moving and sat still then it came a monster storm and I was catching water from the roof of the shelter. That was the best stick water I had ever drank. I have traded pocket knives for coca colas. so for those who would like to go on a 3 day hike with me with nothing but water lets go!! we will do it bear grylls style!! that just sounds like fun to me.

I'd guess at least 6 or so have done it. If you have 10 months and the $ I say why not. It can be done quicker, but why? I've left Springer in Jan. and finished there end of Nov. too. No big deal if you have the gear and aren't afraid to learn as you go. You dont have to do huge miles or have a pack under 30 to do this.

sweet thanks NEAN thats I respect your support and thank you, I am tottaly stoked after reading that because there are about to be seven that have done it. Remember always point your toes east So do you think its crazy to carry the same gear all year round as long as you maintain 30ish pounds. mainly zero degree bag for winter and a +11 degree fleece liner for
    summer and if the temps really drop combine them!! 5.75 pounds total. the rest is only two pair of nylon pants 4 pairs of socks with liners may buy more on trail. three nylon tees, fleece mid layer, Hard shell jacket and pants non lined. polypro tops and bottoms, msr whisperlite stove, primus 1.7 liter jet boil pot. collapsible spork, first aid for me and equipment (6 replacement buckles, stove repair, tent and pack repair) about a pound. 3 pound 3 season tent the tadpole by north face. I went for an older bag becuase i dont have much faith on the exterior of the lightweight bag seems like a rock will tear right through it I dont like it, I picked up an Acryteryx Bora 70 about 3000 ci for $100.00 guy blew out knee! ok now im am the one rambling. but not to forget the 1 liter platypus , aqua mira, gloves, fire starter, compass, temp guage etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
    sweet thanks NEAN thats I respect your support and thank you, I am tottaly stoked after reading that because there are about to be seven that have done it. Remember always point your toes east So do you think its crazy to carry the same gear all year round as long as you maintain 30ish pounds. mainly zero degree bag for winter and a +11 degree fleece liner for
    summer and if the temps really drop combine them!! 5.75 pounds total. the rest is only two pair of nylon pants 4 pairs of socks with liners may buy more on trail. three nylon tees, fleece mid layer, Hard shell jacket and pants non lined. polypro tops and bottoms, msr whisperlite stove, primus 1.7 liter jet boil pot. collapsible spork, first aid for me and equipment (6 replacement buckles, stove repair, tent and pack repair) about a pound. 3 pound 3 season tent the tadpole by north face. I went for an older bag becuase i dont have much faith on the exterior of the lightweight bag seems like a rock will tear right through it I dont like it, I picked up an Acryteryx Bora 70 about 3000 ci for $100.00 guy blew out knee! ok now im am the one rambling. but not to forget the 1 liter platypus , aqua mira, gloves, fire starter, compass, temp guage etc etc.
    Well, you will be losing a lot of that stuff....please don't leave it in a shelter! I think your winter bag is too warm and your summer bag not warm enough. I carry a 25-35 degree bag and add a liner for winter. I sleep warm though and rarely zip my bag other than in winter. Figuring out your limitations and how they apply and how you adapt is all part of the adventure. Don't be afraid to mail some things home or ahead. I've been known to bump my tent up the trail when the weather is going good in the summer or when the shelters are mostly empty in the off seasons. Be flexible w/ gear, miles, schedules and preconceived notions.

nean do mean intentional leaving or actually losing? I thought that I was being minimal at best. only what is needed and nothing else can you see something to trim that I have not and have alternatives to suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatertot View Post
    nean do mean intentional leaving or actually losing? I thought that I was being minimal at best. only what is needed and nothing else can you see something to trim that I have not and have alternatives to suggest?
    I think you will find that you are carrying too many clothes, repair kits, firestarter, etc. A hiker box or hostel is the place to pass along such. Don't pull a Katz. Expect to learn a lot about what you actually need and use and don't be afraid to change how/what you think.
    Start walking, you'll be great at it if it turns out to be your cup o tea.

Tater, doesn't matter what I or most anyone else on this site thinks of the equipment you carry, except for guys like wolf. As I said before, I would find a good book or two (such as the ones I mentioned before) and then I would read. ALL OF IT. Then I would come back to this site and play the role of the ignorant amateur and try to feed off some of the folks off this site who are experienced hikers/backpackers. Stop talking so much about the equipment that you have. Most folks on this site couldn't give a rats ass concerning the thermal rating on your bag. Most folks don't care whether you succeed or fail in your thru hike either. The one thing no one on this site wants to read about is tater getting killed on the AT. Approach these folks on this site (not me) with the humbleness of a foot washing preacher and I suspect you'll receive a decent amount of input from successful backpackers. Screw it up and start talking about your gear and yo yoing, and I suspect you'll get little or no help. Remember. You're not dodgeing bullets. You're dodgeing hypothermia, lightning, wind, loneliness, hunger, dehydration etc. All just as dangerous as a bullet. If I can give you one bit of advice though, I would say you come across as the kind of guy who will be more successful if you have someone to hike with for most if not all of the AT. That in itself is a difficult thing to find (someone who will walk 2174 miles by your side).

Quote Originally Posted by pahillbillybear View Post
    Tater, doesn't matter what I or most anyone else on this site thinks of the equipment you carry, except for guys like wolf.
    guys like wolf certainly don't care about gear. too much or lack of has absolutely nothing to do with attaining a goal. guys like wolf know what it takes to do certain feats on the AT. that's a fact. guys like wolf really understand the difference between fantasy and reality.
    have a nice walk

Images

Tatertot,im sure if you get prepared you can do it,this site isn't all the people that do the AT. Im sure there are people who really never stop hiking the AT. In Ct there's an old guy that doese the section Cont.back and forth. Im sure there are maybe and i mean maybe a handfew that just go end to end cont. But i do not know,im not a thru-hiker.
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

Listen to people that know the trail,i know section's. The AT is very cool and beautiful but at the same time can drive you crazy or just straight up kill you. So what these older guy's are trying to say is- no matter the gear or body strength,when it comes down to it is your mind ready for that hike.
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Wolf, I know little about you except you seem to have a decent amount of respect on this site. If I offended you, I apologize. I guess what I was trying to say was that some folks are a bit more experienced than guys like myself at helping someone pick out a decent tent that is sound enough to stand up to the rigors of the AT. That was an attempt at a compliment. I agree that a certain piece of equipment or a certain brand of equipment does not assure the hiker of anything but cash spent. As well, I was not questioning your ability to decide what is real or what is imaginary. I stated nothing in my message that would have caused you to infer as much. Again, my apologies. You're the man. I'm here to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    your chances aren't good
    Who care what his chances are? He'll have a great time. You may want to hitch from Gorham to Crawford Notch on the way back. Purists are not going to rag on this one.

Jay, I agree with you entirely. The fun has to be there or there is no sense in trying. The only thing I am a purist at is salsa. Nothing quite like good salsa on a chip. I try to encourage people every chance I get. I think anyone can do a thru hike. I've never done one but I've never tried, yet. I'm waiting for my son to graduate from high school in 2013. We'll hike in 2014. Meantime, we'll have fun at cranberry glades and new river area in WV. There are folks on every forum who are always looking to down someone rather than encourage them. My encouragement to tater was to stop and smell the roses and find someone to hike with. Tater, if you are reading this, most people find hiking buddies on springer as well as in maine. Its no big deal. Good luck and if you stay on this forum and decide you want to hike in 2014, I'll hike a ways with you,

Default Good post Dogwood

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When you say things like, "I figured I might as well walk back" and "Im wondering though how often people yo-yo this thing I have not heard much about it any ideas?" it tells people like Lone Wolf and myself that you haven't really researched or fully grasped what a yo-yo attempt entails. Don't mistake what I'm saying! I wish you all the best. People definitely yo-yo the AT. You will not be the first. But, remember you haven't even AT thru-hiked one way yet never mind completing a yo-yo. Do you truely grasp what it means to be backpacking/living on a trail for 5 months or longer through changing seasons and conditions? You need to rethink what you are going to try. A yo-yo takes considerable time, finances, lifestyle changes, exertion, physical and mental prep and..., and..., and...,etc What I'm trying to get across to you is that seriously attempting or inquiring to finish a yo-yo should not be approached with a cavalier attitude. I'm telling you these things not because a yo-yo is impossible for you, but so that you don't approach this kind of journey unprepared. Some of the biggest reasons for such a high drop-out rate for those attempting a thru-hike of the AT, 1/2 of a yo-yo, is because thru-hikers start out unprepared with the mindset that a thru-hike can quickly or easily be finished or they have this overly romantic view of trail life. This will go double for a yo-yo.
    I think I agree with everything including wishing Tatertot the best of luck. I would add that 5 months is about average for a one-way hike of the AT during the best time of year, so as others have said a yo-yo is considerably more than twice as difficult. Realistic expectations are important, and probably the best way to have realistic expectations is to put in a few hundred consecutive AT miles in preparation.

Journal Entries
    Images

why in the world do people want to carry yo-yo's on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    why in the world do people want to carry yo-yo's on the trail?
    to kill the boredome of daily life, duh

Quote Originally Posted by pahillbillybear View Post
    Wolf, I know little about you except you seem to have a decent amount of respect on this site. If I offended you, I apologize. I guess what I was trying to say was that some folks are a bit more experienced than guys like myself at helping someone pick out a decent tent that is sound enough to stand up to the rigors of the AT. That was an attempt at a compliment. I agree that a certain piece of equipment or a certain brand of equipment does not assure the hiker of anything but cash spent. As well, I was not questioning your ability to decide what is real or what is imaginary. I stated nothing in my message that would have caused you to infer as much. Again, my apologies. You're the man. I'm here to learn.
    no offense taken at all. i do know that folks that get on here and say they're going to attempt somethin' way out of the ordinary then ask ask a bunch of ?? about extremly simple stuff like a sleepin bag, ain't gonna make it

hey lone i have learned that knowledge is power and I also understand you can learn alot from a book except for one thing and that is experience. I understand about bags and all but the experience of others always goes along way. I have a drive land a will
    that will carry me a long way. and how is it out of the ordianary? if no one has the answers well I will figure it out for myself!!

Hey Tot, you can do it. Be willing to make a gear change or two while you're out there and don't let the old grumpy hikers tell you no. You'll learn all you need to know about what to carry in the first few weeks. For most of us it was sending gear home or ditching it in hiker boxes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++