WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Montrails and Superfeet

So I bought my first pair of Montrails (Continental Divides) last year, and put a pair of orange Superfeet in them. The CD was great, the insoles were great, the two together seems to give me some problems in the heel. The Superfeet orange insoles seemed to lift my heel too high so that it didn't properly fit in the shoe's heel cup.

I recently purchased a pair of Montrail's Mountain Masochist shoes, and again tried to put the Orange Superfeet in them. It was clear with these shoes that the Orange ones were too much, and significantly changed the way my heel was secured in the shoes. I tried a lower volume blue superfeet insole, and that seemed to work better. I am worried though that the blue will not have enough support for backpacking the Long Trail this summer. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had similar issues trying to fit Superfeet into Montrail Trail Runners?
    Spiderbite
    LT '09
    NP '10

Quote Originally Posted by nevets View Post
    So I bought my first pair of Montrails (Continental Divides) last year, and put a pair of orange Superfeet in them. The CD was great, the insoles were great, the two together seems to give me some problems in the heel. The Superfeet orange insoles seemed to lift my heel too high so that it didn't properly fit in the shoe's heel cup.

I recently purchased a pair of Montrail's Mountain Masochist shoes, and again tried to put the Orange Superfeet in them. It was clear with these shoes that the Orange ones were too much, and significantly changed the way my heel was secured in the shoes. I tried a lower volume blue superfeet insole, and that seemed to work better. I am worried though that the blue will not have enough support for backpacking the Long Trail this summer. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had similar issues trying to fit Superfeet into Montrail Trail Runners?
    No problem with Montrail HardRocks and green superfeet. You are probably aware, but it takes a while for your feet to adapt to Superfeet if they are not used to them.

Garlic
    Images

I used Blue Superfeet in my New Balance 811 trail runners and they worked fine on the AT last year. I think they solved a minor chronic heel blister problem, and gave me a tad more support on the rocks. I got over 2500 miles on the superfeet and just bought another set.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Blue superfeet are the way to go with trail runners as they are lower in profile.
    The support is fine, I've used them in Montrail Hardrocks for thousands of miles.

If the Superfeet don't work out for you, they have a 60 day money back no questions policy.
    What? Me worry??

Images

I had a pair of Montrails but mine were the higher boot style and i used Superfeet with them. I almost always got blisters after 3 days with a pack on with them. I have switched over to a Keen and have had no foot problem. Different boots work for different people.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

1. Shoe needs to fit you.

2. Arch support needs to fit the shoe and be correct for your foot type.

peace
    mf

GA-ME-04
    Images

Never again will I use green Superfeet with Hardrocks. The Hardrocks are a great shoe, but I threw the superfeet in the trash at kincora.

Superfeet (blue) were good in my Montrail Hardrocks – the CDT's are similar fit just not as stiff – Orange is probably too tall in the heal for the heal cup to support. Also look at the backpacker versions from Spenco –*I liked those alot and used them in my second pair of Hardrocks.

After getting blisters on my heels from the green Superfeet, I successfully switched to Shock Doctor X Active inserts.

http://www.shockdoctor.com/products/insoles-socks.aspx

Everyone's different, I guess. My favorite combo is Hardrocks with green Superfeet, and heel-lock lacing. Not so good for walking around town, but out on the trail they fit me to a T. Whether you use green, blue or orange must depend in part on your preferred socks, too.

++ New Posts ++