WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    Next time come up with a more interesting response. And there was a next time, and I hitch-hiked.
    now that's the way to do it. traveling with your thumb instead of your wallet is a lot more adventurous. some hostels do those long shuttles just to help us hikers out not to get rich. your experience there was different than mine and i'm glad you made your opinion known, but my opinion is your still a cheap ^&*@##! sorry

Default Need mailing address

would like to thank Bob for a great stay this season. Need address. Thanks Combat

Gull Pond Hostel
    Camp Waya-awi Rd.
    Rangeley, Maine
    phone# 207-864-5563

Default Great, great stop...

I liked Bob, his dogs, his clean rooms, and the best continental breakfast on the Trail so much I stayed two days on my '03 thru. When I re-hiked that section this year, I was a little ticked having to wait 3 hours to be picked up until I found out it was because he was running a hiker to the hospital in another town for a broken foot.

He'll pick you up, run you back and forth to town, and back to the Trail in the morning. I'm just thankful he's there. Geez Louise!...what more do you want?

Skeemer, Sorry about that.
    Singletrack

Journal Entries

I suspect the price was $5 for five miles or fraction, thereof. That sounds reasonable to me. And for what it's worth, my wife no longer shops with me, since I argue over every discrepancy. If the price isn't the advertised price, or the price posted on the shelf, I complain.

Chomp's complaint sounds to me like a case of miscommunication, or of Chomp having failed to listen to the price details.

Essentially, the hostel owner seems to be saying that the minimum price is $5, regardless of the miles, and that he rounds up when the miles go over five mile chunks. That strikes me as a reasonable pricing schedule.

When I'm in that area and need a ride I just call The Cabin and tell them to come and get me. They never charge me. But that may be because the proprietors are my sister and brother-in-law. Or perhaps only because from time to time I get a hurried call to deliver lobsters on the cheap from a fisherman I know.

The lobster delivery only takes 180 miles, so maybe they figure it all comes out even. I've never asked.

Weary

Singletrack wrote:
    Skeemer, Sorry about that.
    Was that you? How are you doing...are you going to hike again?

Skeemer. Yes. My ankle is well now. Plan on returning next year, to finish the section to HF. Thanks for asking. By the way, Bob Obrien is a great guy, and a friend of hikers. He charged me $1 per mile, for trip to the hospital, and bus station. Thats fair, and what I pay here in the South.
    Singletrack

I also stayed with Bob overnight in early September, and found him to be a great host with a beautiful location. The breakfast was excellent and I enjoyed his countless stories. I certainly recommend staying there.

Images

Just throwing it out there that this was one of my best stays... I would surely consider Bob Obrien a trail angel... he is a generous man and he is very helpful and entertaining. I would say this is an underrated spot on the trail and I would recommend it to anybody. Boats to take on the "pond", great fishing, saw several moose hanging out on his property... a can't say enough good... check it out if you cross through Rangely!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Gull Pond

I stopped in Rangeley to resupply. I guy, Bob from Gull Pond, pulled over and asked me if I needed a ride and than told me he ran Gull Pond Hostel. Went and spent the night. It was a great stop on my thru and I'll always remember it. I would definately not compare Bob to uncle Johnny. Uncle Johnney is in business to make a profit. Bob is doing it to pay expences.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

ah the memories.... I didn't need a shuttle from Bob, but he did pick me up in town to take me to Gull Pond.. Tried to pay for gas, he wouldn't let me.. Tried to pay for gas on the way back to the the trail head as well.. he would only except 2 dollars!!! Sounds like some people out on the trail are trying to get a little something for a little nothing..... If I needed his services for a full 32 miles, or whatever it was, I would have slipped him 40, and told him to keep the change.... Bob is not only a trail angel, I think he has moved into the trail legend category...
    If the poster thought that Bobs "hostel" was to integrated into his home, maybe they should consider that the fact that BOB RUNS HIS HOSTEL OUT OF HIS HOME! And was I the only one that ate like a champ at this spot???? If I remember correctly, his fridge was open for breakfast? And like others have posted, I also spent the afternoon floating on the pond in a kayak.. can't beat a town stop like that....
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Stayed with Bob in June this year. It was fantastic. Bob is a wonderful person with a great sense of humor. Like the above post said breakfast was on the house, he didn't charge for laundry or showers.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Default RE: Gull Pond Lodge

I stayed several nights there during a hike in '08, and very much enjoyed my stay. Bob is a genuinely nice person (also very humorous), and I thought his prices for everything from bunkroom to shuttle were very reasonable. The location is beautiful. Would definitely recommend it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++