WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Water in Snp.

Default Water in Snp.

I am looking to do a section hike covering S.N.P. in mid July. How are the water sources throughout the Park? Can you access water regularly at establishments along the way? Will there be water flowing at that time of the year along the trail?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpa View Post
    I am looking to do a section hike covering S.N.P. in mid July. How are the water sources throughout the Park? Can you access water regularly at establishments along the way? Will there be water flowing at that time of the year along the trail?
    Don't know about mid-July but when I hiked through there a few weeks ago there was plenty of water everywhere with the exception of a completely dry 13 mile stretch between Black Rock and Calf Mountain shelters.

I just returned from hiking snp. Water was everywhere. Not just the springs at shelters, but several streams which cross the trail. No guarantee for July, but right now it looks like a normal year for rain. In Atlanta where we've had drought for the past two years, we are one inch above normal year to date.

Images

SNP Water Souces .doc Water
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Water scarce between Blackrock and Calf Mtn. Other springs running good.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I just returned from hiking snp. Water was everywhere. Not just the springs at shelters, but several streams which cross the trail. No guarantee for July, but right now it looks like a normal year for rain. In Atlanta where we've had drought for the past two years, we are one inch above normal year to date.
    How's ur reservoirs?

Rainfall in Virginia has been well above normal so far this year. All water sources that in my area (northern Shenandoah Valley) are running very well. It would take a serious drought to do serious dammage to the waterways before July. (possible but not likely)

Images

Just did 30 mi section from Doyles river to Bootens Gap, plenty of water must have 8-10 good sources without leaving the trail. Rain fall has been good this spring, so you should be ok. I always carry more than I need, 3-4 liters ( one kidney I need to keep hydrated.)

++ New Posts ++