WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up 100 mile wilderness

Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

But the bugs will eat you alive from what I hear, so be prepared.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I hiked Mt. K to Monson in 4 days in '07. The mosquitoes were horrible during my hike (late June).

Kathadin to Monson in 7 days is movin right along but it can be done. . . the bugs are WAAAAAAAAAYYY over publicised. . . 100% DEET keeps them at bay. . . . enjoy!
    Call Shaw's in Monson if you need any help.

You mentioned that you wanted to experience a "remote" section of the AT, The 100 mile "wilderness" is a fantastic place but it is intersected by logging roads at least every day. North of Shenadoahs, the most remote section as defined by no road crossings, public or private, is the section from Hogan Road in Shelburne NH to Rt 26 in Grafton Notch ME, which is three to 4 day section. Note that hiking anywhere in Maine or northern NH in June is real buggy so dont expect to avoid them.

GAMErs often complete that section in seven days/six nights or less.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

If your 100 mile wilderness hike includes a weekend, be prepared to meet and greet lots of day, weekend hikers. Nice folks, but definitely not wilderness.

Images

We completed the 100 mile wilderness in 5 days last yr, so it can definitely be done. Would recommend taking your time and enjoying it tho.

Garlic
    Images

As all the others above have said, yes it can certainly be done. It's nice trail in there for the most part. I remember only one tough half day, about 10 miles of muddy rocks. I did that stretch in five days, including two easy half-days, and most of it was really nice walking. I was there in early July on a wet year with a late Spring, and the bugs weren't awful, but you did have to reckon with them.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'll be in the 100 miles late July/early August. Hopefully the bug season will have peaked by then. As for Deet, I would not put anything on my skin that melts plastic. Deet is Bad. Worse than bugs. Stay away from the stuff.

I did it last Sept. as an out of shape (somewhat) section hiker - 8 days not rushing.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I did it last Sept. as an out of shape (somewhat) section hiker - 8 days not rushing.
    Check out new repellents with Picaridin. Many studies show it to be more effective, less harmful (no eating away at plastic), and without an odor. I just bought some for my trip to Africa coming up...and am hoping it works (not a big fan of malaria).

Quote Originally Posted by KevinAce View Post
    Check out new repellents with Picaridin. Many studies show it to be more effective, less harmful (no eating away at plastic), and without an odor. I just bought some for my trip to Africa coming up...and am hoping it works (not a big fan of malaria).
    If you're going to a place with malaria I would definitely recommend taking malaria pills before you go... You've probably already looked in to it but if not they're relatively cheap and extremely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    I'll be in the 100 miles late July/early August. Hopefully the bug season will have peaked by then. As for Deet, I would not put anything on my skin that melts plastic. Deet is Bad. Worse than bugs. Stay away from the stuff.
    DEET 100% works. . .

Sounds like fun! Worth all the hassles I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    DEET 100% works. . .
    Yes it does, but don't spray it on your prosthetic leg, you'll make that mistake only once

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpeterson View Post
    Sounds like fun! Worth all the hassles I believe.
    There are no hassles. . . . the hassles are the life NOT hiking the 100 mile. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Yes it does, but don't spray it on your prosthetic leg, you'll make that mistake only once
    Dude. . . . why would you spray it on your prosthetic leg anyway. . . . that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense. . . .

Dude. . . . why would you spray it on your prosthetic leg anyway. . . . that doesn't make the tiniest bit of sense. . . .
    Dude, if I had Deet way back in the day, I wouldn't have a prosthetic leg. Sometimes when I spray Deet on my good leg the spray drifts in the wind and gets all over everything. I usually lean against a tree for balance when I spray, even then I'm a little wobbly and the over spray...well you know, I just don't have a good leg to stand on any more, between Deet eating up one and bugs eating up the other, you don't want to inhale Deet either, brain damage, trust me on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Dude, if I had Deet way back in the day, I wouldn't have a prosthetic leg. Sometimes when I spray Deet on my good leg the spray drifts in the wind and gets all over everything. I usually lean against a tree for balance when I spray, even then I'm a little wobbly and the over spray...well you know, I just don't have a good leg to stand on any more, between Deet eating up one and bugs eating up the other, you don't want to inhale Deet either, brain damage, trust me on that one.
    Sidewinder. . . I really apologize for that last post. . . . good for you for hikin on the way you do. . . . I can't imagine the extra challenge. . . . you rock. . . . again, I'm very sorry for what I said. . . . have a great hike dude. . . . .

Sidewinder. . . I really apologize for that last post. . . . good for you for hikin on the way you do. . . . I can't imagine the extra challenge. . . . you rock. . . . again, I'm very sorry for what I said. . . . have a great hike dude. . . . .
    Dude, don't loose any sleep over it, brain damage can happen to the best of us. I suspect you suffer from a little brain too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++