WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking Mass........north Or South?

Planning a hike in Mass in June and trying to figure which way to go.........north or south. Parking in Cheshire so we can go either way. Just need a little feed back on trail towns, great places to stay etc..........I figured the "cookie lady" and Tom Levardis................anyplace else that is interesting? Thanks for reading and help..............Princess Hoot

Doesn't matter much. I don't have a good reason for it, but I would probably head south.

The silent retreat place is pretty cool to stop at. Also Upper Goose Pond is a must. Probably more...

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post

The silent retreat place is pretty cool to stop at.
    huh? you lost me on this one

Images

Default hiking mass north or south?

I have hiked it both ways and then some but I would go southbound!ky

If you are parking in Cheshire, there isn't too much of Mass left to do northbound, maybe a day and a half over Mt Greylock. Alternatively, park at the Greylock Community Club on Rt 2 in North Adams and hike south from there to get 99% of the trail.

Tom Levardi is in Dalton about 5 miles south of Cheshire, and the Cookie Lady is a short day south of him. She is getting older, so I'm not certain what she will be able to offer other than a lawn to tent on and some water. Oct Mtn shelter is about a mile south of her.

Goose Pond Cabin would also be on my "bucket list" for a Mass hike.

The "silent retreat" is probably East Mt Retreat. It is a long mile (nominally West) off of the Trail at Lake Buel Rd (turn right as a southbounder). In the hiker part of the establishment you can talk, it is separate from the rest of the area. I stayed there about 4 years ago, not sure what the situation is now.

Another hightlight would be the Jug End to CT border (Bear Mtn/Salisbury CT) area. Nice views, and interesting terrain. Can be crowded, especially on weekends.

Cosmo

Yes Silent Retreat = East Mountain Retreat. The people that stay there are usually under a 'silent' visit, where they don't talk. It's kinda a quirky place, and was fun to stop at. Also was pretty good since it was 50 and raining, so that might have influenced our opinion of the place.

From our journal July 8th 2005:

"Happy now to be warming up and drying out at the East Mountain Retreat Center. This is a wonderfully peaceful place that facilitates the individual spiritual retreats. Although I sense a Buddhist overtone, the center welcomes all denominations and religious orientations. It is very quiet and beautiful at this mountain retreat in the Berkshires and feels quite conducive to reflection and rejuvenation. Tonight we spend a quiet night in a simple room. We're clean, dry and laundered. I feel peaceful and tired. Ready for a good sleep. "

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're in Cheshire, makes no sense to go north unless you plan to do VT. What about parking in North Adams and hiking south?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

If you know Tom Levardi you might see if you can leave your car there, he's a great man, and decide when you get there. . . either direction is beautiful. . . if you go south you'll likely have a little more solitude if that's what you seek. . .

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

I'll weigh in for the minority (so far) and say that going north (starting of course from the southern end of Mass.) is more fun... you get to start small, with few towns or natural features at first, then get more & more treats as the hike continues... Upper Goose Pond Cabin, towns of Dalton & Cheshire, and finally Mt. Greylock, which is a terrific final climb for an extended hike.

If you go N to S, the last couple days may be something of an anticlimax. I'd recommend parking in Great Barrington and going N to Williamstown, if you can swing it that way.
    --There is always more uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseboy View Post
    I'll weigh in for the minority (so far) and say that going north (starting of course from the southern end of Mass.) is more fun... you get to start small, with few towns or natural features at first, then get more & more treats as the hike continues... Upper Goose Pond Cabin, towns of Dalton & Cheshire, and finally Mt. Greylock, which is a terrific final climb for an extended hike.

If you go N to S, the last couple days may be something of an anticlimax. I'd recommend parking in Great Barrington and going N to Williamstown, if you can swing it that way.
    A great way to do it, ending on/near/after Greylock would be great.

How long does it take to get down from the summit of Graylock into Williamstown? Plotting a weekend jaunt and will be dependent on the buses out of there to return.

3 hours at the most

Thank you for the info

Do you mean, hiking north from the summit to Rt 2 , then a bus to Williamstown? The 6.3 mile hike is probably about 3 hours, if you just miss the bus, it will be at least another hour on Saturdays.

Here's a link to the schedule:
    http://www.berkshirerta.com/schedule...ion=O&timing=S

You'll get the bus just before the Stop and Shop.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by HugeHill View Post
    How long does it take to get down from the summit of Graylock into Williamstown? Plotting a weekend jaunt and will be dependent on the buses out of there to return.

No actually I meant come down from Greylock to 2, hike west along the road to pick up the PeterPan bus at the Williamstown Inn (where they pick up Sundays.... right?)

Oh, THAT Bus. So, after you get to Rt 2, it's another 2.4 sidewalk miles West to the Williams Inn. Hitching is pretty good along Rt 2.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++