WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Sign of the times - State Parks Closing to save taxes

Just announced today on the drive by media - 35 Pennsyslvania State parks will be closed at the busiest time of the year. Layoffs for park & state employees. This will affect the tourism revenue for the state as well. Appears Govenor Rendell is following ideas from the Govenator.
    http://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=465111
    http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_124811...ce=most_viewed
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Shall we post a link to an old thread started when we went down this path before?

Keep in mind, State Game Lands are not likely to be affected, nor is NPS corridor. As for the remainder of the AT, I don't expect much impact, but am interested to see what comes of this decision.

Registered User Desert Reprobate's Avatar
    Images

Arnie is an idiot. We should have voted for the stripper. The parks would be self sustaining if they would stop stealing the money.

Three of the 4 State Park properties (Caledonia, Pine Grove Furnace, Ibberson Conservation Area) along the A.T. are not on the current hit list. Although Swatara State Park is on the hit list there don't seem to be any facilities to close at this Park. I suppose it's possible that the A.T. parking area near the junction of PA 443 and PA 72 might be blocked off, but I don't know whether this is in State Park or NPS jurisdiction.

The current hit list includes eight of the nine state parks along Mid State Trail - including Little Pine and Poe Paddy that I've seen others on here mention. Also Colonel Denning State Park on the Tuscarora Trail is on the current hit list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Three of the 4 State Park properties (Caledonia, Pine Grove Furnace, Ibberson Conservation Area) along the A.T. are not on the current hit list. Although Swatara State Park is on the hit list there don't seem to be any facilities to close at this Park. I suppose it's possible that the A.T. parking area near the junction of PA 443 and PA 72 might be blocked off, but I don't know whether this is in State Park or NPS jurisdiction.

The current hit list includes eight of the nine state parks along Mid State Trail - including Little Pine and Poe Paddy that I've seen others on here mention. Also Colonel Denning State Park on the Tuscarora Trail is on the current hit list.
    FWIW, I've heard (yes, hearsay) that the closings will not affect hikers going through any of these areas, but there will not be any facilities provided, and that may include parking areas.

It would be nice if they'd finish building Swatara State Park BEFORE they start closing it!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Shall we post a link to an old thread started when we went down this path before?

Keep in mind, State Game Lands are not likely to be affected, nor is NPS corridor. As for the remainder of the AT, I don't expect much impact, but am interested to see what comes of this decision.
    Actually please do. - But this is now. It defys logic and I understand has little to do with the AT. But I saw the relevance as I frequent parks though out the year to go hiking and mountain biking as well as doing the AT.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

In truth the parks are not closing as in locking the gates. They just will not be staffed and no facilities will be provided.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    It would be nice if they'd finish building Swatara State Park BEFORE they start closing it!
    That's exactly what they're doing at Poe Valley - the closure for renovations would end just about the time that the closure for staffing would start.

Images

Default By request

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Actually please do. - But this is now.
    AT hikers may have to blue blaze Pennsylvania this year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for bringing that up-now I understand!

Woo

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tennessee tried to do that about 15 years ago. Citizens and groups filed law suits saying it was unconstitutional to close down the parks completely. They ended up just cutting park ranger positions and adding fees.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

That thread started out being about a temporary universal closure (which still may happen), unlike the permanent targeted closure now under discussion.

Also, since that thread's closed, it's difficult now to add to it.

Possibly a good thing too. Things truly have changed on WB since two years ago. I think it's been at least a couple of months since I saw the word "internegator."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Tennessee tried to do that about 15 years ago. Citizens and groups filed law suits saying it was unconstitutional to close down the parks completely. They ended up just cutting park ranger positions and adding fees.
    Yep, I'd go ape stool on them too. Parks cost alot more money than I think people think realize sometimes but on the same token the appropriations are not handled well either.

Where is this "hit list"??

Trough Creek?? Shawnee?? I'll cry!
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JF2CBR View Post
    Try searching DCNR's website. I don't have time now. You might find a press release.

I think this will end up making the AT more crowded this summer.
    If the state parks are closed, folks looking for some outdoor adventure will head for the trail. (IMO)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I'm really not certain what cutting funding changes all that much. The woods are always "open". So what if they close a few bathrooms when times are tough.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Blowdown will not be chainsawed in some areas. That's the only effect i could see.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    Blowdown will not be chainsawed in some areas. That's the only effect i could see.
    In 02' when I hiked through the smokies, they were leaving blowdowns for the most part. To be honest, I kinda liked it, it made for some interesting hiking hopping over all the dead pines.

Quote Originally Posted by JF2CBR View Post
    This is from my latest e-mail, from the ATC (no, not THAT ATC...)

I received this email from a member of a trail club in the State College area. I thought all of you would be interested in this info if you don't a;ready have it. Liz

35 to 40 state parks may be closed; names released
    By ROSCOE BARNES III Staff writer

HARRISBURG - The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources on Wednesday released a list of nearly 50 state parks from which 35 to 40 could be closed as a result of the Senate's budget cuts.
    In addition to park closings, park offices, including the DCNR offices, could see a cut in personnel, according to the Chris Novak, DCNR spokesperson.
    DCNR released the list as part of a response to state Sen. Mary Jo White, who had inquired about the closings, among other things. White, a Republican, represents the 21st Senatorial District and serves as chair of the Senate Environmental Resources and Energy Committee.
    Some of the area parks that made the list include Whipples Dam, Trough Creek, Samuel S. Lewis, Big Springs, Colonel Denning, Greenwood Furnace, Warriors Path, Fowlers Hollow and Penn-Roosevelt.
    Area parks such as Caledonia, Mont Alto, James Buchanan and Cowans Gap did not make the list.
    A number of the parks were notified of their status on Tuesday. Novak confirmed Tuesday that "internal notifications" were made by DCNR.
    White had asked DCNR: "Please identify the 35 parks that will close should Senate Bill 850 be enacted."
    In response, Acting Secretary John Quigley wrote:
    "During our initial evaluation of the effects of the bill, we examined our entire operation in the Bureau of State Parks (including central office staffing levels that would also be reduced in response to SB 850). The criteria we looked at are the budget of each park, attendance, income generation, cost per visitor ratio, services offered, and geographic location and proximity to other parks with similar services.
    "Through that analysis, we identified 50 parks that we felt needed further study and prioritization depending on final budget numbers. The appropriation provided in SB 850 would require closing 35-40 parks."
    Once the parks are closed, they will still be accessible in certain areas by visitors such as hikers. The parks' campgrounds, swimming facilities, restrooms, roads and parking lots will not be available to use. They will be locked or posted.
    According to DCNR, there also will be no public services such as maintenance of facilities (built or natural), no resource management, environmental education or law enforcement on the sites.
    DCNR further notes: "If the Governor's budget is enacted, we would reduce some management services within the central and regional offices and substantially reduce park level services to minimal levels at five to six parks."
    The senator also asked about the parks charging fees as a way to generate revenue and help prevent closings. In its reply, DCNR said the state parks have always offered free access to the public for day use activities.
    "However, in response to past inquiries, DCNR has evaluated the fee concept on a number of occasions and has come to the same conclusion: Our parks are ill designed to collect fees.
    "Although the implementation of entrance fees could generate revenue at a few locations, the amount of revenue generated after the associated costs are deducted would be minimal at best."

The hit list Pennsylvania State Parks identified for possible closure

Parks '08 attendance
    Bendigo 35,669
    Elk 20,958
    Kinzua Bridge 44,433
    Blue Knob 431,738
    Clear Creek 136,702
    Colonel Denning 61,864
    Fowlers Hollow 30,325
    Big Spring Delaware Canal
    (Black Eddy ONLY) 521,080
    Ralph Stover 200,077