WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What stove does Caldera Cone come with?

I'm planning to make my own Caldera Cone (see other thread I started today).

Anyone who's seen one, what kind of stove does the Trail Designs Caldera Cone come with? I figure since they've done testing to get just the right stove for the Cone I'd like to use the same kind. I've seen the pictures on their website, but I'm no stove expert. And I know many of you are!

Where can I find instructions for this kind of stove?

Thanks muchly,
    Doug

Images

It's a soda can stove, but it's one that burns cooler than most. The Cone holds in so much heat that a normal stove is too hot. Also, one reason the systems saves fuel is that the stove burns less fuel than most.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

The one I saw looked incredibly similar to the Kitten Stove.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    With an added priming pan.

Images

Default Thanks

Yup, the Kitten Stove is what the Trail Designs picture looks like. BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove.

So, DWM, do your accordion tabs help center the V8 can in the cat food can? Do they bend sideways and sort of press against the inside of the cat food can?

Doug

Images

I've used 4 different types of alcohol stoves under my Cone. 1)The one it arrived with, 2)a Trangia classic, 3) a homebuilt Vienna Sausage can stove and 4) a homebuilt Tasty Treat catfood can stove. I've also burned twigs and solid fuel tabs under it successfully. All worked well.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sierraDoug View Post
    ........ BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove........
    Although Trail Designs does sell the promer pans separately, they come attached to the stoves sold with the Caldera Cone and Caldera Keg systems.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

search "caldera Clone" for a link to a program that designs a caldera type wind screen for your pot and stove and prints out a paper pattern.

After you get the program to run, let me know some detail on how. I tried and the support functions you needed to install wouldn't run for me.

You can also design your own graphically, using the angle you want for the side of the windscreen, the height to the stove brim and the circumference to determine the radius of the blank and the arc needed. Some geometry and math required.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

Default Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Squinty View Post
    I've used 4 different types of alcohol stoves under my Cone. 1)The one it arrived with, 2)a Trangia classic, 3) a homebuilt Vienna Sausage can stove and 4) a homebuilt Tasty Treat catfood can stove. I've also burned twigs and solid fuel tabs under it successfully. All worked well.
    That's good to know. I guess it's not super-critical to use one kind of stove with a cone. On the other hand I'd still like to try something like the stove they come with. So I bought a six-pack of little V-8 cans today to make a kitten stove.

Images

Default I know of what you speak

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    search "caldera Clone" for a link to a program that designs a caldera type wind screen for your pot and stove and prints out a paper pattern.

After you get the program to run, let me know some detail on how. I tried and the support functions you needed to install wouldn't run for me.
    Funny you should mention that. I posted a topic here on WB about that the same day I started this topic! You could ask the guy who posted the program how to work it. Try the programmers' thread on outdoorsmagic.com is here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/f...t/4/UTN/22357/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sierraDoug View Post
    Yup, the Kitten Stove is what the Trail Designs picture looks like. BTW, I guess their primer pan is a loose piece since they sell it separately for other stoves. I had thought they glued it onto the stove.

So, DWM, do your accordion tabs help center the V8 can in the cat food can? Do they bend sideways and sort of press against the inside of the cat food can?
    Yeah, the accordion tabs act as both spacers and support. The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.

It doesn't need a primer. I don't know why anyone would use one with that stove design. It's not a pressurized stove that has to heat up before use. There's an exposed pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove - light that and it's ready to use immediately.

Images

Yeah, the accordion tabs act as both spacers and support. The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.

It doesn't need a primer. I don't know why anyone would use one with that stove design. It's not a pressurized stove that has to heat up before use. There's an exposed pool of alcohol in the middle of the stove - light that and it's ready to use immediately.
    Thanks for the info on the tabs. I'll get around to making one in a while, but I'm going to work on my tarp project first. And yeah, good point about not needing a primer pan. Who knows why the Cone company uses one.

Doug

The can shown in the photo has 2 rows of holes but only one row is needed.
    D'oh! I just finished punching two rows of holes about 20 minutes ago. Are there any disadvantages to having two rows?

Y

YMMV, but mine lights a lot easier if I prime it with a few drops in that pan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    D'oh! I just finished punching two rows of holes about 20 minutes ago. Are there any disadvantages to having two rows?
    No disadvantage, it will operate the same. It just looks neater with one row.

This is the Trail Design stove.
    Franco

Images

This is the mouse stove.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    This is the Trail Design stove.
    Franco
    Franco, do flames come out of the outside holes part of the time?

Images

since this was 7 years ago ill answer. flames never come out the side holes
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

I came across a thread that had some info saying at the end of the heating cycle where the water is just about to boil, the stove starts to go radical because of over heating and the flames will come out those holes. The flames will also come out the top holes of the cone at that high heat stage(shorter cones).
    Last edited by zelph; 01-02-2017 at 23:46.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++