WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Stress Fracture

Default Stress Fracture

Ok so- I went to the doctor for a shooting pain in my right foot and he found a stress fracture in my left. It doesn't hurt but my doc suggested I get off the trail for 2 months. I'm thinking that by lightening my pack and getting new insoles and taking it easy that maybe I could stay on. Could someone with stress fracture experience enlighten me on what will happen if I ignore it?

Images

Pain and more pain.

Take care of it now before it gets worse.

A young lady, trail name Wing It, hiked from about NC to Katahdin last year with a fractured bone in her foot.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can develop a complete fracture if you don't let it heal. But usually stress fractures can only be seen on x ray when they are healing or are healed. MRI would confirm an active fracture. I might get a second opinion and from a sports MD. If confirmed, heed the advice and get off. The trail will always be there.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yes, you should definitely ignore what the doctor suggests; after all, what do they know? Seriously, though, you might find that in some cases, doctors do know what they are talking about.

My own experience with such an injury a few years ago, is that my doctor advised me to "stay off of the foot for a week". I thought that was just stupid and impractical, especially given the demands of my job, which involved a good amount of walking. Besides, my boss insisted that it was not a good time for me to take a week off from work.

In fact, my boss kept feeding me that line about my busy schedule, and the pain never really got better even after 7 months of more or less hobbling around. Like you, I figured it would work itself out. Well, it didn't. Finally, I decided to follow the doctor's advice and just took the time off, despite my boss's objection.

After a week of lounging around the house, guess what? The pain disappeared and hasn't bothered me since. So, you definitely endure the pain and see what happens. Or you can save yourself some grief and give it a rest. The choice is yours. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

get off the trail. you'll make it much worse and it will haunt you. that's from the experience of being stubborn and undeniably stupid (me, that is)

You could ask the same doctor or another one what the risk would be.
    If he said off the trail for 2 months, that sounds serious, but I'm not a doctor.

I will also say I did have a fracture in my left foot when I was younger, and its a problem foot. You have to think long term. I'm not sure how old you are. It's not just that you want to finish this hike, which you can in sections or next year after you heal up. The thing is you don't want something like this preventing or slowing you down from doing alot of hiking later in life, like after you retire or whatever. Those could be your best hiking years if you keep yourself in good shape, but something like a bum foot can really have long term effects, making it harder to keep the weight off in your 30s and 40s, etc. etc.

In `06 I hiked from somewhere just N. of Groseclose through SNP with a stress fracture. Took many more zeros and shortened my mileage including 5 days off in Pearisburg.

Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have taken 2-3 weeks off all at one time.

Images

You didn't say where you got off the trail? If it doesn't hurt now it might tomorrow. IMHO - If it was me, I would get my miles for a week or so and see what happens. If it became a bigger issue I would bail and go home. How many miles were you doing up until now? How much have you given up to do this hike this year?

Two schools of thought - play through the pain or if there is pain stop doing it. You will have to decide.

Getting a second opinion from a bunch of morons (like me) is a REALLY bad idea. Listen to your doctor, or get a second opinion from another MD. You have a lifetime of use on those feet. Take care of them.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Get off the trail, get a hotel room, do what you have to do but you will not be able to "hike thru the pain"

new insoles will be an important component of your future hiking gear after you have healed. Insoles made for body and pack weight may be very helpful to you.

One stress fracture means that you are ripe for another one if you do not take care of the CAUSE of the problem

peace
    jip

I attempted a thru last year. I believe I fractured my foot in the Smokies, but it was appropriately diagnosed until I got to Erwin, TN (saw a podiatrist in Johnson City). Doc told me to give it a month. Stayed at Uncle J's to let it heal. Slacked for a week. Three weeks back on the trail, I torn the ligament in my arch in the same foot I had the stress fracture. It still hurts today. I wish I would have gone home. The trail will ALWAYS be there. You're health, on the other hand, may not be if you don't take care of yourself!

++ New Posts ++