WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How should he have acted? Meek and humble?

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Standing up for yourself= acting like a jerk these days

The guy had a part in creating a disturbance in the store. REI told him not to return. I expect he can fix this with a well worded letter or even a polite phone call. If he is a member, so much the better.

REI really had no part in this except for it happening on their (or should I, as a member, say our) premises.

If the incident unfolded as described, (a big if)this person did nothing either wrong or illegal. The armed guards threat to tackle him, on the other hand, would be an assault. The arrest seems totally bogus. Big fun for the lawyers, I think.

Incidently, Washington issues concealed carried permits without problems. That didn't stop these guards.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    Standing up for yourself= acting like a jerk these days
    Oh my! We are agreeing on something.

Oh my! We are agreeing on something.
    It's the start of an unparalled era of cooperation!

I don't know how truthful the officer was being, but while I was thumbing a ride in FL a trooper stopped and asked if I had my ID, for which I replied "am I breaking any laws?" He informed me I was not and that I did not have to show him an ID, but I did have to tell him who I was, and that he had the right to confirm my identity for which I would need to accompany him to the police station. We went back and forth for a bit, and I guess he decided he had better things to do, because my ID was in my car. I carry plastic on my hikes but leave my Identification as well as my wallet safe in my vehicle.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    wife says NO- so maybe I have allowed myself to be neutered
    www.dontfixit.org

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    California gun laws are the reason there are more active shooters per capita in Arizona than any other state.
    I don't get the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Thats a drawing.
    It's a rendered model.

2011 or 2011 Te Araroa Thru Hike Possibly

I did not take the picture to threaten the safety of the two Loomis fake cops with their bulletproof vests, hip side pistols and very fragile egos.
    He obviously went into the situation with him wanting to cause a scene and to stand up for the constitution in the small confines of a REI store.

It probably wasn't the two employees fault, they were probably just trying to follow protocol, and do their jobs.

The REI security people that had been called in by now wanted the same thing. I told them plainly that I’m not in the habit of giving my ID to people just because they want it, especially fake cops who put money in box and get to play at being real cops.
    He's obviously trying to get a reaction from them, and he did get it. It's interesting that he's whining about it on his blog now that he got the reaction that he wanted.

And anyway, if he's so worried about the US Constitution, how about he trys defending laws that give property owners rights about what happens on their property. Because he is, after all on REI property (or so I assume given the blog and report)

At the end of the day, the situation has ended, he's got the outcome that he wanted (whether he admits it or not) so I don't see what's gone wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamNZ View Post
    He's obviously trying to get a reaction from them, and he did get it. It's interesting that he's whining about it on his blog now that he got the reaction that he wanted.
    He didn't instigate anything. he took a picture with his cell. It's not illegal, and there are no rules against pictures in REI.

And anyway, if he's so worried about the US Constitution, how about he trys defending laws that give property owners rights about what happens on their property. Because he is, after all on REI property (or so I assume given the blog and report)
    And REI can have any rule they want, and they may ask anyone they wish to leave, to leave. What you don't get to do is to restrain and detain someone who has broken no law, even if there was a rule against what he did, which there isn't.

At the end of the day, the situation has ended, he's got the outcome that he wanted (whether he admits it or not) so I don't see what's gone wrong here.
    When you are restrained and detained when you've broken no law, there will be nobody left to see what's gone wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I don't get the connection.
    That figures.

Sounds plausible to me. We have all these supposed "rights" but coming from a guy working for a law enforcement department, they can pretty much always make up a reason to detain you.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Very wrong. Try it and then tell us how tight the cuff's were. You are required to show ID. But an officer must have probable cause to "check you out" in the first place.
    It is a state-by-state law - some states do not hvae laws where you have to identify yourself, and in those situations, you could not be legally required to do so.

And, if a law is in place, an officer does not have to have probable cause, only reasonable suspicion, which is a much lower threshold, to require you to produce ID/identify yourself.

Images

that person is stupid for doing that

Which person? And why aren't you in school?

Which person? And why aren't you in school?
    My little brother has late start today. I dunno about outwardboundbackpack, but that could be why.

Or he could be posting in class. Why do you care? Don't you have some kids on your lawn you could threaten or a pension check to cash or something?

Images

How about a comment from someone who worked on an armored car for 2 years. I had multiple attempted robberies on me when I was working on ATMs, I had someone try to run me off the road in the truck, I had people try to climb into the truck behind me, I had people try to grab my weapon when I was opening the door to a store. I was even attacked by a mentally ill person working on an ATM in the lobby of a psych hospital. Having an attempt on your life atleast once a week at work will make you cautious. When someone is videoing or photographing me on the job I assumed they were staking out the area to rob me in the future. People would gladly kill me for the money I was carrying. The guard did what he felt needed to be done. The kid with the phone was inconvenienced at most. The risk the guard takes is him or a co-worker being killed in a future robbery because of the photos. Yes, the internet has the ATMs laid out for you. But there are many different layouts, models, and designs of them. The photos of that exact ATM would allow someone to stidy it and find out what component is what and assist in a robbery. From the outside you can't always tell what exact model of ATM it is. With the photos you can.

Just figured it would be nice for someone who actually knows what they are talking about to say something on this site for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    How about a comment from someone who worked on an armored car for 2 years. I had multiple attempted robberies on me when I was working on ATMs, I had someone try to run me off the road in the truck, I had people try to climb into the truck behind me, I had people try to grab my weapon when I was opening the door to a store. I was even attacked by a mentally ill person working on an ATM in the lobby of a psych hospital. Having an attempt on your life atleast once a week at work will make you cautious. When someone is videoing or photographing me on the job I assumed they were staking out the area to rob me in the future. People would gladly kill me for the money I was carrying. The guard did what he felt needed to be done. The kid with the phone was inconvenienced at most. The risk the guard takes is him or a co-worker being killed in a future robbery because of the photos. Yes, the internet has the ATMs laid out for you. But there are many different layouts, models, and designs of them. The photos of that exact ATM would allow someone to stidy it and find out what component is what and assist in a robbery. From the outside you can't always tell what exact model of ATM it is. With the photos you can.

Just figured it would be nice for someone who actually knows what they are talking about to say something on this site for once.
    It doesn't sound like you know what you are talking about. And BTW, getting arrested and hauled off to the jail is more than a inconvenience. Just because you and other security gaurds were or are poorly trained and psychologicly unfit for the job doesn't give you the excuse to screw up.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++