Default Weekend hike suggestion near Bellingham?

Hi all,

I'm visiting an old friend who lives in Bellingham, WA and we're planning on doing a 2-3 day hike somewhere around there. We're both eager hikers, but also pretty green in terms of experience. Any favorite spots around that area? It'll be late June if that matters. Thanks,

Peter

There are several guide books to Washington and to specific areas. In late June most high areas will be snowed in or muddy. 100 Hikes in the North Cacades should help you get some ideas. Also ask at REI and Western Washington University may be of help. Have fun.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

peter, not to be a downer on this forum, but try www . nwhikers . net
    they are much more expertised in WA hiking.. esp. west side of the state.
    you will probably get some more specific, direct suggestions. hiking books are great and all but if its just a few day thing i'm sure they can direct you well.

Yes, hit up NWHikers! The freshest trip reports will be found there - the forum has a very active membership. You can also read more trip reports at wta.org (Washington Trails Association). Many people cross post though on the two.

As for late June...expect snow above 4K and or mud. Usually prime alpine hiking up north is mid July through September There are options though! If you are willing to say drive up Hwy 20 instead you can get good hikes that will be melted out more.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Thanks...I'll check out those more specific sites.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Yes, hit up NWHikers! The freshest trip reports will be found there - the forum has a very active membership. You can also read more trip reports at wta.org (Washington Trails Association). Many people cross post though on the two.

As for late June...expect snow above 4K and or mud. Usually prime alpine hiking up north is mid July through September There are options though! If you are willing to say drive up Hwy 20 instead you can get good hikes that will be melted out more.
    Ditto that. NWhikers also has a bunch of Bellinghamsters. I wonder how melted out the Chuckanuts (mountains) will be by June. It's pretty up there!

That section is usually melted out by now, but yeah, it has been cold! The Chucknauts are not wilderness but there are pretty areas up there that make a nice early season hike.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

You could try hiking up Oyster Dome (single day) or up Tomyhoi (climbing/scramble). If you have a second car or are willing to arrange a shuttle or hitch, you could hike up and over Hannegan and Whatcom Passes, and link up the Little and Big Beaver Valleys. This is on trail and relatively low (with a lot of elevation gain, snow on passes). You'd go between the Hannegan Pass trailhead and Ross Lake. I don't really remember the exact distance, but it took me two days and a morning.

Default Try the Ozzette Loop

Quote Originally Posted by Petr View Post
    Hi all,

I'm visiting an old friend who lives in Bellingham, WA and we're planning on doing a 2-3 day hike somewhere around there. We're both eager hikers, but also pretty green in terms of experience. Any favorite spots around that area? It'll be late June if that matters. Thanks,

Peter
    Even in late June, snow will be a problem in the Cascades. You can avoid the snow by hiking in Olympic National Park. The Ozzette Loop is one of my favorite early hikes. It is in the portion of Olympic National Park along the Pacific Coast. Get your camping permit in Port Angles. Hike out to the shore of the Pacific Ocean. Camp above the high tide line.

Be sure to make sure the Hood Canal Bridge has reopened before you go. It is due to reopen mid-June.

Shutterbug

Default options closer to Bellingham

Snowpack will be a major factor in June. Like others said, the wild & scenic high elevation trails don't melt out until like mid July.

The Sumas Mountain Trail is close to Bellingham. The road to The Canyon Creek Lake area (a county park) may be open by then.

Try to get a copy of "Hiking Whatcom County" by Ken Wilcox. There are a lot of hikes close to Bellingham in this guidebook.

++ New Posts ++