WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Chris_Asheville's Avatar
    Images

:banana Suggestions for hikes in Daniel Boone National Forest.

I hope everyone is well.

I am interested in hearing about some good day hikes and/or backcountry camping spots near the Southern part of the Daniel Boone National Forest. I hope to head up there this weekend. I'd like to be around some nice creeks and possibly see some of the natural rock bridges. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

Images

Default suggestions for hikes in daniel boone

bee rock is nice and cumberland falls is close.take the sheltowee trace trail.Check it out pretty nice hiking.ky

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I heard of the Red River Gorge. Then there is the Pine Mountain Trail. Then all sorts of trails down at Cumberland Gap TN/VA/KY
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Default suggestions for hikes in daniel boone

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    I heard of the Red River Gorge. Then there is the Pine Mountain Trail. Then all sorts of trails down at Cumberland Gap TN/VA/KY
    Their is nice hiking in the tri state area,and the red river gorge is one of the most nicest places to hike anywhere.ky

Images

The Sheltowee Trace goes the length of the state, from TN border to near the Ohio River. Here is a link for more info and some maps you can download.

sheltoweetrace.com

the gorge is awesome, but if you're wanting something in the far southern section of the state you might check out the big south fork.

Images

Default Daniel Boone history link

Right now I'm watching the fog roll down the valley of the Russell Fork into the Breaks, with the almost entirely faded light of the sun starting to be overwhelmed by the bright moon. http://www.breakspark.com/ Basically a dayhiking destination to see the top and the bottom of the rim although the north end of Pine Mountain Trail http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/ is on the other side of the canyon. Tomorrow we'll be talking about how http://www.greateasterntrail.net/ might GET from here over towards the New River.

Images

Be careful hiking the Sheltoweetrace trail. Some sections very nice, others have not been maintained in years. This is compounded by the Southern Pine beetle devestating the pine forests and creating lots of downed trees.

At the Big South Fork check out a loop trail near Alum Ford to Yahoo Falls.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Be careful hiking the Sheltoweetrace trail. Some sections very nice, others have not been maintained in years. This is compounded by the Southern Pine beetle devestating the pine forests and creating lots of downed trees.

At the Big South Fork check out a loop trail near Alum Ford to Yahoo Falls.
    Hey Jeff,

Not necessarily true about sections not being maintained. I live about 20 miles from the Northern Terminus and we cleared it last year all the way to I-64. Hope you will come back and hike The Trace again. You can't ask for a more rustic mountain trail. What the AT was before shelters and privies and signs and all those comforts. Red River Gorge and other loop trails are excellent short weekend hikes but for the long distance hiker who doesn't have six months to thru the AT, the Trace is a great alternative.

traildust - Thru-hiking "The Trace" - July 09

Quote Originally Posted by traildust View Post
    The Sheltowee Trace goes the length of the state, from TN border to near the Ohio River. Here is a link for more info and some maps you can download.

sheltoweetrace.com
    Thanks for the link.

Thinking about heading up that way to test out some gear this Spring/Summer.

New to this area and looks like the closest for me.
    " There is no hope for a civilization which starts each day to the sound of an alarm clock ."

Since you specified the southern part of the forest and are driving from Ashville (you know of course about the I40 closure), you probably don't want to drive as far as the Gorge, fabulous as it is. Cumberland Gap is also too far. I suggest you check the Big South Fork website for ideas. There are some wonderful huge rock arches there.

Heading out that way Thursday for a few days.

Anyone recommend a 25-30 mile loop?

Images

Bump... What are the must see areas? Looking like snow this weekend! Would be nice to base camp, and day hike from there. Willing to get as deep into the NF as needed(less tourists please). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Go to the Red. You will not regret it. There is a Wilderness there, also if you want some backcountry. You can base camp from the state park also. We could have used another week at the min. to see all we planed. Also if you are into rock climbing it's a must!!

RRG receives great deserved acclaim for it's escarpments and arches and other geological features but you don't need to stay only on the north side of Hwy 11 to experience these things. Just to the south of the Hwy is Natural Bridge State Resort Park with Hensen, Whittleton, Natural Bridge arches, Balanced Rock, a paddling lake, 20 or so miles of trails, some nice overlooks, a lodge that makes a great base camp, access to food, etc. I wish I had current access to all the pics taken of these to share. NBSRP trails are typically less crowded compared to the RRG trails.

Big South Fork has a bunch of neat things like arches, rivers, creeks, escarpments, overlooks, fishing, paddling opps, history, etc. Again, getting away from paved roads and it's not crowded. BSF might be better in winter with the leaves off the trees.

Images

Default Thanks! Maps??

Thanks for the RRG and other suggestion. Looking like I will be heading that way in the morning....got to beat the snow! Might you be able to point me to the best map(s) and possible GPS track information (gpx, kmz)? I know, down to the wire, not a prepared as I normally would be, so thanks for the help.

Images

Just found these: http://hikingohioparks.com/kentucky-...-preserve.html Not the best, but look doable.

Images

What about options at the south end of the NF, closer to TN? Worried the weather might not let me get to RRG in time.

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Best stuff on the south end is Big South Fork. Lots of trails around Oneida.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++