WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    El Sordo
    Images

Could have been. It was sure windy and wet getting there. Big Bald was beautiful and windy.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sent Diamond Doug a note on it. He is the maintainer for that section. Let me know if you seen anything north of Spivey Gap for my club's section.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

El Sordo
    Images

Couple of blow downs. Nothing major. I had my Gerber saw with me and cleared the one I couldn't get past. Just yards north of a stream if I recall. Probably could have done a better job of clearing it, but I was tired and wet and not feeling too ambitious.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

I heard some of the bear cables have been torn/pulled apart/yanked out. We (Carolina Mountain Club) will be going up there sometime this month to scout out a new privy location (the old one was getting full - maybe that's why someone tipped it over?) and to check out the cables. If anyone has any details that would help us know what tools to take. Thanks, -<>-Doug
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

I have newfound respect for the phrase "within walking distance." -Welches

El Sordo
    Images

as of Dec 5 or so the bear cables were functional, although as I recall one had been damaged and needed repairing. I think some cable clamps would do the trick, I can't recall if it will require climbing or not.
    Dyslexics Untie!

i was just up there this past weekend and one of the bear cables was busted and there was another that was on it's way to being busted. looked like the crimps on the cables might not have been secured well enough. great shelter other than that. oh, and the privy was in pretty rough shape, i assume from high winds. it was noted in the shelter log from new years eve that it was in rough shape that night too.

I plan on staying there on Friday the 13th! I'm guessing that if the low is going to be around 20 in Erwin I'm going to freeze my butt off up in the shelter right?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

From what I read on this thread it appears that this shelter has a decent/reliable water source, a privy (that may or may not be tipped over) and bear cables. Can someone confirm all this? Also, how is the tenting near the shelter?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    From what I read on this thread it appears that this shelter has a decent/reliable water source, a privy (that may or may not be tipped over) and bear cables. Can someone confirm all this? Also, how is the tenting near the shelter?
    The spring is good; never known it to go dry. Don't stop at the seep that you come to first on the short path from the shelter but go another 20-30 feet or so to the pipe.

I understand the privy has been stood back up. It is going to be moved to a new location at some point this year. It does get windy up on the ridge. Two of the four bear cables are operable. Please don't use them for swings, which is apparently what happened to the other two.

There is some tenting space available in the vicinity of the shelter. There is also another tenting area about a half mile further north on the trail, with a spring down a side trail. If you are a boy scout troop, there is more flat room for tents at the camping area than at the shelter.

I should be up there in the next week or two for spring maintenance.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

Images

Was at Bald Mtn. shelter today. Spring is good. Privy is standing but getting full. Two bear cables are fully functional and a third partially. It looks like some one used them for swings. The shelter register is full and needs to be replaced; I did not takeone with me as the one I left last year was removed two weeks later. Maybe the person who replaced mine last year will be back again soon?

Other than than, spring walk trhough from Big Bald to Little Bald was conducted and the trail looks good. Waterbars cleaned out, a few blowdowns sawed off and rocks forming pools below the springs refurbished. Both are flowing strong. Happy hiking.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

Images

I loved the shelter. the views there were nice. i did a 2 week trip and I stayed there for 2 nights

Images

The Hermit of Little Bald told me he maintains the log. He'll prolly be there this Sat.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    To any experienced AT sectioner...

My son and I are planning a June 04 hike from Roan Bald to Mt. Rogers. We are planning to be dropped off at Cloudland, and spend the day just getting used to boots/packs/altitude, etc., then spending the first night at Roan Bald shelter.

Question: Is it acceptable practice to spend a "prep" night at a shelter, even though we haven't done any real milage to that point? (Thanks in advance for your answers.) - hillbilly
    first come, first served.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    first come, first served.
    That post was from three years ago. I guess that's why he thanked you in advance.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I am going to try and remember to bring a notebook for the shelter.

Diamond Doug: Thanks for all your trail work. I don't think you guys ever get thanked enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That post was from three years ago. I guess that's why he thanked you in advance.
    i hope he didn't wait around for three years for a response? my bad i should look at the dates. S*** Happens

I placed the register in the shelter on the 13th and woke up to what became 36 hours of non-stop rain. I was the only one in the shelter so I used my tarp to block the wind and setup my tent inside. Bear cables and water and working just fine.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Nice piped spring was flowing well on 10/24/09. Easy to fit 10 on the dual-level sleeping platforms. We had a lot of wind towards evening accompanied by sputtering rain, but nothing directly into the shelter.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

A really nice camp spot .4 past the shelter. Great views in the fall through the trees.

Images

Did my spring walk through two days ago. Big Bald and it's northern shoulder were virtually free of snow, but as soon as you started to descend (northbound) into the woods towards the shelter the snow got thick. 12-18 inches in some places. Locating the trail was difficult, as the myriad of hiker tracks could attest. I did my best to stomp where the trail goes and placed sticks over the wrong tracks in the snow.

Walked all the way to Little Bald and back, beautiful sunny day. Need another week or two like that to melt all the snow. Rat went down from Little Bald to Spivey Gap and reported 24 inch drifts on the trail near the top. Tough hiking through there. The calendar may say spring but it's still winter at 5,000 feet.
    Onward. Furthur!
    -<>-Doug
    GAME2k

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++