WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Go Light Go Fast

I have heard many people who have this exact philosophy when hiking, but why? I understand going light to a point, I am sure most of us would do just fine with a bedroll, a lighter a, 1 liter bottle of water and some ramen. Tie the roll to your back with the food inside and there you go less than 5 pounds of gear, but we don't do this.
    Now myself I take a lot of unneeded junk, like a camera, but I take these things to make my hike more enjoyable for me. I also only hike 7 to 11 miles a day, and I stop at every spot that looks cool.
    Am I a minority in my belief that a good hike involves what I saw and did, not how far I went or how fast I did it?

Images

NO i do the same just i go ultrlight same maount just lighter stuff or makshift
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Yeah at last check my pack was 27 pounds loaded with water and food, but I know the weight has gone up some. I will keep it under 35 pounds, but I will take a lot of junk I don't need. Like and don't laugh at me a solar panel from my truck which will be used to keep my phone and cameras batteries charged.

No, you're right...and this is coming from an ultra-lighter. But, it's not about light and fast...it's about light and efficient. Imagine that you are deciding between comfort while hiking and comfort while camping. There's probably a bunch of gear that you might carry for a weekend but not for a week b/c it provides a bit of extra happiness at the end of the day but would weigh you down over the long-term. For me, that's often a six pack or a bunch of steaks. But, for a number of reasons neither seem to make it past the first night.

You don't need to have a light pack to do big miles. It helps but it's not an absolute. You will enjoy the hiking aspect of your outings when you carry less.

Images

LOL i got one of those mini panels,LOL im between 19 to 22 pounds currently ,hey u need a camera yuh know or the trip is almost pointless if u cant bragg
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Oh yeah, that solar panel is close to useless on the AT because of the varied tree cover.

Images

I love showing picks off,
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

yeah but on sunny days u cab use it ,i only use it once and a while otherwise its useless to me,like in Ak in the winter enitrely useless during the Cold show-three nights under the Northern Lights very cool
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

The one I have produces 12 volts at .5 amps in the shade and 14.8 volts at 1.5 amps. It is connected by a cigarette lighter plug to 8 lithium ion rechargeable AA batteries ran in series inside of a 15.5 inch piece of 1/2 inch pvc tubing. I have a mini panel with it's own battery but you are right Johnny that thing sucked bid donkey balls on the trail.

Images

Any one see some cat with a Bear fence LOL anyone every seen one? freakin eletric fence LMFAO!!!!
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    Any one see some cat with a Bear fence LOL anyone every seen one? freakin eletric fence LMFAO!!!!
    Does the hair stand up on the cat or just fall out?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I have heard many people who have this exact philosophy when hiking, but why? I understand going light to a point, I am sure most of us would do just fine with a bedroll, a lighter a, 1 liter bottle of water and some ramen. Tie the roll to your back with the food inside and there you go less than 5 pounds of gear, but we don't do this.
    Now myself I take a lot of unneeded junk, like a camera, but I take these things to make my hike more enjoyable for me. I also only hike 7 to 11 miles a day, and I stop at every spot that looks cool.
    Am I a minority in my belief that a good hike involves what I saw and did, not how far I went or how fast I did it?
    For some people, it is more enjoyable walking in the woods with a light pack rather than a heavy one, and they see and experience more (and enjoy it more) when they aren't constantly aware of a big load on their back. Not everyone, of course.

Why do you say hike fast? Walking is about 2 to 3 mph no matter what weight your pack. It isn't so much hike fast, as hike longer (more hours per day) and more comfortably.

7 to 10 miles a day is about right I would think for a heavy pack.

Carry an ultra-heavy pack and cover 3-6 mies a day, or a light pack and cover 15 to 20 miles. (Or some such numbers - you get the idea)

I think the difference is that with a giant pack, after 3-4 hours you're beat, whereas with a light pack, there isn't really a hit-the-wall moment. You just walk along, enjoying the view, not straining. Don't really walk fast, just that instead of spending 4 hours a day hiking and 8 sitting in a shelter/camp, you are walking for 10+ hours a day.

The choice is yours, though as someone said, if you enjoy camping more than hiking, a light pack is defintely not the way to go. If you are going to spend more time in camp than on the trail, pack some neat camp comfort things. OTOH, if camping is what you do to rest up so you can hike tomorrow, lighten your load so you can enjoy the hike more.

The beauty is that everyone can decide how they want to do it. Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you that their way is better. It is better for them, but not for everyone.
    Frosty

Images

LOL the cat is always fuzzy LOL
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

When I first got serious about backpacking, I didnt think weight was so critical, but it changes the overall comfort of hiking. Hiking fast coincides with the weight IMHO.

Garlic
    Images

I think Frosty said it perfectly.

I passed a thru hiker on the Arizona Trail the other day--my age and fitness level, about the same pack size and weight, but he was hiking 15-20 mpd, and I was hiking 20-25 mpd. Even he asked why I did such long days, since I didn't have a schedule, and I couldn't explain it. It's just the way I like to hike. We met when he was taking a break, and after ten minutes there I got restless and got up to walk and he was going to sit there for a while. Just different, nothing to worry about.

Personally, I like looking back from a high point at the end of a day of hiking and not being able to see where I started that day.

Now there are some circumstances, especially out West here, when it's strategically helpful to be able to hike 25-30 mile days, like when it's 40 miles to the next water and you really don't want to carry more than two days of water. Or 200 miles to the next grocery store and you don't like to carry more than eight days of food. If you do that a few times, it changes the way you hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I like a light load. I hate a heavy load.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    I like a light load. I hate a heavy load.
    What do you consider light? At last check my pack was 27 pounds with water and food, but I know it is a bit heavier right now.

What do you consider light? At last check my pack was 27 pounds with water and food, but I know it is a bit heavier right now.
    Not bad!

Images

I like a light pack load but i still like to feel some weight there you know,
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

I did 50 miles on the BMT last year. 4 days, 3 nights. 16lbs. If I were a Long distance hiker, which i'm not, I would have to go a little heavier. One reason I don't go long distance is because I hate heavy loads.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++