WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

I have to agree with L W on this one ! I hiked for years and never saw a shelter until the AT, I thought they were for emergenies. I tent with my dog.

Maybe i will grow to dislike them like everyone else lol. I had only seen a few cabins on the west coast and never one in my favorite place to hike Montana, and maybe I have just gotten lazy as I have gotten older lol. I wish there were more like one I had stayed in as a kid, it was a huge 1 room 32 feet by 32 feet building with a fireplace and a sliding wooden door that led to a 32 x 8 foot deck that jutted right off the cliff (it was prolly only a 16x16 building but I was small so go with me lol)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    The making happy inches away from others who then become unwilling (I assume) participants due to proximity. As for the artist, I thought that was a little odd as well. If I was upset by the act I would be making this:

o
    o o
    o o o
    o o o o o
    x x x x x x x x
    x x
    x x
    Ok, I thought is was snowballs stacked up on the table in front of the shelter.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Ok, I thought is was snowballs stacked up on the table in front of the shelter.
    Yeah, my computer graphics skills need work.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I find sleeping in the shelter very uncomfortable. I would rather be on a soft bed of leaves or pine needles than on the wood.

Yep Aaron, I will give you that one all day long. I have slept on jagged rocks more comfortable than the shelters lol. I am shocked so many people responded to this post. It seems like the answer is
    1. Mice
    2. Nasty inconsiderate hikers
    3. Hard wood
    does that about nail it?

Most of us hike for the solitude....I could wax poetic...but it means not dealing with a lot of other 2 legged creatures, in confined quarters, and being able to leave most of humanity behind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    I am shocked to see so many people who don't like them. I really like the shelters on the At. I have only had 1 bad experience in 1 which I mention earlier lol. I think other than meeting cool people, what I like most is having a table to cook on that is under a roof. I have a handmade Alcohol jet stove that I love, but unlike the penny stoves you have to set your pot/pan right on the stove, so you need a decently stable and level surface to cook on.
    I have seen quite a few posts, where people bad mouth shelters. I don't get it, I like the shelters on the trail, although I also like setting up my own setup when hiking the smaller trails. The thing I like the most about the shelters is you get to meet tons of people. So tell me if you like or hate the shelters and why please.
    They are cold in Winter, buggy in Summer, and filthy year-round.

I understand the social aspect but would you sleep on a saloon floor if you could walk out the door?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Most of us hike for the solitude....I could wax poetic...but it means not dealing with a lot of other 2 legged creatures, in confined quarters, and being able to leave most of humanity behind.
    Yep I am weird then lol. I have always hiked with a partner or brought a group of people. My nephew is one of the best trail partners I ever had, he is very quiet while we hike, isn't in any hurry, and he has a slight fear of heights, so when I am doing something stupid like climbing some big a55 rock jutting from a mountain he is more than happy to sit back and watch and probably 1 day rescue my dumb self. The thing is I love meeting new people, I don't want to be stuck with a big group of new people all day, but a couple of hours of conversation at night and a few friendly words in the morning is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post

I understand the social aspect but would you sleep on a saloon floor if you could walk out the door?
    Skidster you may have just convinced me to make myself a bridge hammock lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Yeah, my computer graphics skills need work.
    You werent on the AT in Maine in the summer of 2007 were you? Your name sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet View Post
    I find sleeping in the shelter very uncomfortable. I would rather be on a soft bed of leaves or pine needles than on the wood.
    you get it

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post

That's IT! the shelter folk like to pass out where they drink

Funny thing is I don't drink lol

guess I really really really need to sew myself a bridge hammock now lol

Funny thing is I don't drink lol
    you sleep in a filthy shelter sober? you must be impaired some other way then

I haven't seen any filthy shelters maybe I have been lucky. I did find 3 pair of underwear once, that was pretty gross, other than that nothing but dust. I lay my ground cover down and put my bivy on top of that with a sleeping bag in it. Truth be told the only place I have seen people drinking on the trail were the shelters close to the roads and in the Hostels. The hostels I can deal with it just for the shower and shelters near the roads I hike past

Wow, losing both your sight and sense of smell. What a shame.

Must be insult me night, maybe I have gotten lucky and found shelters where responsible hikers like myself have come through and cleaned. I don't know. Like I said I have seen a little trash like I found a couple of propane bottles, can of coleman fuel, 3 pairs of underwear, a plastic container of lintels, multiple lighters, and assorted small pieces of debri in the fire pits, and that was just on my last 2 weeker. All in all though, I have found clean shelters, friendly people, and a nice place to camp, whether it be in the shelter or next to it.

lighten up, people are just teasing you...

... i like it when people camp at the shelter, makes it easier to know who the noobs are

Must be insult me night, maybe I have gotten lucky and found shelters where responsible hikers like myself have come through and cleaned. I don't know. Like I said I have seen a little trash like I found a couple of propane bottles, can of coleman fuel, 3 pairs of underwear, a plastic container of lintels, multiple lighters, and assorted small pieces of debri in the fire pits, and that was just on my last 2 weeker. All in all though, I have found clean shelters, friendly people, and a nice place to camp, whether it be in the shelter or next to it.
    If you live in NC do you hike in NC? We have got some of the nastiest shelters on the AT.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++