WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Name and shame

There are so few purists left and I miss them. I'm thinking of starting a purist sanctuary before they die out all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    There are so few purists left and I miss them. I'm thinking of starting a purist sanctuary before they die out all together.

I'm going to go through the sanctuary and make blue and yellow blazes....on the same tree!

Purists will get too confused and re populate somewhere else....closer to a white blaze community

Journal Entries
    Images

The ATC should do away with the form they have hikers sign.

People should hike their own hikes, and not what the ATC asks of them to be listed as a 2,000 Miler.

Alternatively, hikers can just tell the ATC to pound sand and not sign that form. Few do, however.

Not sure why.

Hike your own hikes. Don't feel compelled to submit to the ATC and its dogma just to be listed by an organization with a different philosophy about what hiking the entire trail means.

Images

Sounds like another case of Hike my Hike damm it or HMHDI instead of HYOH
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Set up a stand at the top of Springer and the top of Katahdin and sell patches for $10.

That way anyone can get a patch, the ATC gets a little revenue and you'll be the only one who knows how many miles you walked.

Purist nightmare HMHDI

Images

I've got a list of hiker names. I can not reveal them at this time due to an ongoing government investigation. I been working undercover for some time now. Sorry, but some of you fakers and scam artist have to go down. Visiting days are Sunday and Wednesday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbCi...eature=related
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post
    There are many people who have claimed they have thru hiked in 2008 . . . even start walking with a limp.
    Eh, idiots like that are annoying, but there is a real simple way to deal with it.

Just ignore 'em. Takes a while, but it works like a charm and don't cost a cent.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

It's really just another version of the "honor system".....just like that pack of crackers and the change jar at work. Whether you are honest and honorable is between you and your diety(s) and matters naught to me. That being said, I have hiked some parts of the AT more than a dozen times, some only once, and have skipped more than a couple of parts that just plain sucked. It's my hike and after all "the journey is the destination".

Probably for those that go out to hike the Appalacian Trail because they want to be able to say they did it, they would be the ones griping about unpure hikers

The ones who go out and hike somewhere, year after year after year and do it because they truly enjoy being out there, they could care less about pure or unpure hikers.

Which one are you?

And as for the Buddhist Monks that are out there for spiritual reasons, I'd be willing to bet they would be the first ones to say: it doesn't matter. (either way is good)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by whykickamoocow View Post
    There are many people who have claimed they have thru hiked in 2008, but we all know that many of those making this claim are bogus. They have deliberately blue blazed or skipped sections (usually the hardest parts). On getting the form to claim thru hiker status they just could not help themselves and filled it in. Just about everyone starts out as a purists, then they take an easy option and do a blue blaze, and they start what becomes a slippery slope towards yellow blazing. They use all types of rationales to explain their actions, they even throw up HYOH as a rationale, when that term was never intended to be used in that fashion. Around the campfire at night they would change their story depending on the company, sometimes it was yep I am a thru hiker, other times nope I am not, and then who cares, even telling us purists to get a life. Yet when meeting day hikers on the trail, they would puff up their chests, give a broad smile and answer with a firm YES if asked if they were a thru hiker. It is time to point out those naughty people. They dminish my efforts, what next, they will be filling out forms to claim a purple heart and even start walking with a limp.
    Daisy, are you friggin serious??? If you have such a problem then why dont you start a petition for the ATC. If that patch is so important to you, Il give you mine! Get a life dude!

Perhaps you should also call out people that dont pay at hostels. If i am not mistaken, that would have been about 80% of your little crew.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Calm down folks.

I see some things are really taboo in the hiking society anymore.

Everyone's flaming this guy or gal big time simply because they asked a question that i've heard lots of times on the trail.
    Reminds me of the guy who asked if there's any sex goes on out there. You all tore into him pretty bad too.

I got flamed once for laughing about a question whether it is necessary to filter water to wash your underwear or not.

Give this guy a break. Maybe it was his first hike. We've all been there.
    Isn't he from down under or somewhere? Maybe they are more honest where he comes from or something.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Jeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Calm down folks.

I see some things are really taboo in the hiking society anymore.

Everyone's flaming this guy or gal big time simply because they asked a question that i've heard lots of times on the trail.
    Reminds me of the guy who asked if there's any sex goes on out there. You all tore into him pretty bad too.

I got flamed once for laughing about a question whether it is necessary to filter water to wash your underwear or not.

Give this guy a break. Maybe it was his first hike. We've all been there.
    Isn't he from down under or somewhere? Maybe they are more honest where he comes from or something.
    I actually know the guy. Great guy. This is a bit of a surprise coming from him. This discussion went on alot on our hike. Its not the topic but the delivery. I understand his point a little but he shouldnt brand other people for something that has no affect on him what so ever. Saw alot of "purists" in GA, NC and TN only to see them abandon that philosophy when they stop having fun.

purists is a weird term. I don't think yellow blazing past entire sections is an aceptable thru-hike. That make me have the same root word as the puritans? Look, I did every blaze, but I'm never registering. I don't need another diploma.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    There used to one, so you can go there to start it back up
    http://www.trailplace.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Look, I did every blaze, but I'm never registering. I don't need another diploma.
    Good for you

Images

Default name and shame

its a strange thing,but i understand the term thru hiker,I never hiked it thru just hiked about 2400 miles in a yr,I always admire a person who thru hikes on the other hand I have been personally told we have no room in the shelter when it was raining and thought to myself,fk you like your a thru hiker in NC right,its a bad term,it makes them think their better than others or have certain rights.ky

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    . . . I figure I walked across the country taking over 6 months and 2200 miles, I can call myself whatever I want to. Did I register with the ATC and get a patch, no because I think that is a load of crap for similar reasons as you think non\purism is. Did I change it here, no because I am lazy . . .

Let's see, you hiked your own hike and you're proud of it.

You did not do the official white-blazed AT for a considerable portion of your hike.

You did not claim to have done the official AT by signing your name on an ATC document that says you did.

THAT was exactly right and honorable.

The term thruhiker means that you have completed a thru hike. People that asked us if we were thruhiking, we said, we are trying. Only now would I call myself a thruhiker but would rather just be called a hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    I started my hike in 1975 and finished in 2007 during that time the trail changed every year, does that mean I can not claim my patch? If another hiker claims a thru hike and is lying they are the ones that have to live with the lie.

Hike your own hike, and enjoy it.

Wow and I thought I was a slow walker.
    Don't celebrate until the check clears.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++