WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Big Dawg,
    I would enjoy hiking with you. I am starting my hike around May 20th or so, right after Trail Days and will be in Greensboro area around the middle of July and then somtime in September on my return trip.

Do you have any ideas of where you would like to meet up?

Taba
    I'd like to hike trail only,, no/little road walk. Instead of hiking Greensboro (which I can dayhike, since I live so close), I think I'd like to join you for the section in Hanging Rock State Park thru the Sauratown mountains. I've only done a few miles of the MST in Hanging Rock, so would love to piece it all together thru Sauratown to Pilot Mountain.

Honestly, this will only happen if our schedules line up. I run my business by myself, so no one to take over while I leave. You'd need to call me a few days before you reach that section to see if I could get away for a few nights. If that's too much trouble, then I understand. But that's what it'll take based on my client scheduling.

I definately want to get an MST guidebook from you before you leave. I'm currently waiting on an insurance settlement from a dog attack back in January. It put me out of work for a few months & consequently the budget is TIGHT. I'll be in touch in the next week or two to finalize the purchase.

I'll be at Trail Days, maybe I'll see ya there too.

Default More on the mountains

I want to describe what's in the mountains section a little more. It is a very beautiful trail and somewhat challenging in some sections. There have been recent forest fires that opend some amazing views. The elevation changes can sometimes be rapid but for the most part you are running from ridgeline to ridgeline with the occssional opportunity to summit a few 6,000 footers along the way. The terrain is what you would expect. It follows old forest roads, which can be open and used on occasion on they could be slightly overgrown. Those usually lead to a single track trail deeper into the woods. The wilderness trail will go from being well packed and wide enough for 2 to narrow and slick with sloping angles. It will have challenging blowdowns to negotiate. In some sections the rocks will be loose and you will have to anticipate the roll. There will also be the well maintained trail wide enough to be able to trust your step and look around to see the beauty of the environment. There will be boardwalks and bridges over streams and waterfalls. The trail follows several streams that empty into larger creeks and there will be several fords, in one area there is roughly 17 in a one day hike. I wear Teva sandals so I enjoyed the creek crossings. There is a fording through the Linville River that will be lower wasit high at the deepest and about 120 ft wide. The rocks are not slippery and foot placement is easy. The Linville Gorge will be a place that will have you taking breaks just to take in the view. There are cliffs all over this area that are popular with rock climbers. The wildlife in the mountains is the usual suspects, turkeys, turtles, snakes, and frogs. Oh yeah, there are bear and deer, maybe some elk and probably any other animal you think could be out there. I watched a couple of crawdads duke it out in a stream one time while I was getting water.

The mountains on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail are pretty much the same as the mountains on the Appalachian Trail through North Carolina. They are just one range over.

I hope this gives the image I wanted to express to you. It is hard to describe what you're looking at when you're eyes have a hard time believing what they are seeing. The trail is that amazing.

Taba

Please forgive my spelling errors it is well past my bedtime but my time is getting more and more limited lately. I am getting things ready for my hike coming up in a few weeks.

Thanks,
    Taba

Images

Now that's what I'm talking about!! Enticing trail description Good stuff!

I forgot the trail runs thru Linville Gorge. Heck, I may have to join for that section too. I've been wanting to hike Linville Gorge for yeeeeeears. When's your approximate 1st & 2nd pass thru date for Linville Gorge area?

Later!

I will be shooting for the 12th of June weekend for the east-bound trip and around the end of October for the west-bound but there is no real plan. I always find myself replanning the plan. So I just wing it. Life seems to go smoother that way for me. I do have a schedule, kind of, and will be focused on my goal. One plan I do have is to have fun.

I'll think I may just take the challenge - I've done 25 miles in April along the BRP, about 32 miles in May to date, east of Greensboro, and hope to get close to the Arrowhead Inn this month. I will be vacationing shortly along the OBX to log a few more from south of Salvo to Hatteras (and beyond?)

Outlaw

Default Mst

Taba, you seem to be the one who could help with the no camping on the beach rules the last 60-70 miles of the MST. Maybe you could talk to them about a permit system. Something akin to what they use in the Smokies, cause the rules, as you know, are very restrictive (read heavily fined) and force you to use commercial sites. Nothing wrong with this but after traversing the state I would hate to think someone would miss out on sleeping on the beach. One of lifes simple pleasures.

Helpful hint. Carry a fishing pole on the last leg of the MST. Buy whatever license you need (instate/5 day out of state) and you will meet every fisherman you walk by.

Ocracoke to Milepost 12, the Sea part of the trail.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait View Post
    Taba, you seem to be the one who could help with the no camping on the beach rules the last 60-70 miles of the MST. Maybe you could talk to them about a permit system. Something akin to what they use in the Smokies, cause the rules, as you know, are very restrictive (read heavily fined) and force you to use commercial sites. Nothing wrong with this but after traversing the state I would hate to think someone would miss out on sleeping on the beach. One of lifes simple pleasures.

Helpful hint. Carry a fishing pole on the last leg of the MST. Buy whatever license you need (instate/5 day out of state) and you will meet every fisherman you walk by.

Ocracoke to Milepost 12, the Sea part of the trail.
    I agree with you on the rule system on the beach. I am planning on trying to get a thru-hikers permit for the areas that you are not allowed to legally camp. I do find it stressful and discouraging to hikers when you put a long distance trail in front of a thru-hiker and tell them that they can't camp anywhere. I camped out under the Frisco Pier boardwalk and around the Bodie Island Lighthouse. Both sites were borderline illegal but you have to do what you have to do. The locals on the Outer Banks are the only reason I got to sleep out there. A lot of them brought me in and I think I even got adopted a couple of times by them. You will have to be creative if you don't want to go to pay sites or to the commercial campgrounds. I am hiking the MST again this year both directions to update the manual and to write it for the other direction so I will also try to work on the camping issue. I do use a lot of churches for water and shelter.

Taba

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Taba,

Isn't this just rehashing old territory with your earlier post "100 hiker challenge"? I'm begginning to wonder if there isn't some hidden agenda. Me thinks plenty of hikers have made their plans and opinions clear. Those that want to hike the MST, whether thru hike or section hike, will and those that don't won't. My suggestion is that rather than trying so hard to get people out there, jus tgo hike. How much of the MST could you have covered in the amount of time you have spent trying to get others out there with you?
    Let it rest brother, let it rest.
    I'd have to say I agree- this same thread has been posted a bunch of times.

Hmmmm........let's see......
    I'm broke.
    I'm in debt.
    I have a seasonal job and have to make money while the sun shines.
    When I do have any free time I'm working towards completing the AT (or thruhiking the Long Trail).
    Thanks for the invitation, though. If I were young, single, debt free, and had a solid job I would consider your offer.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++