WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Watauga Lake Shelter

Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Watauga Lake Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Images

Although there is no privy here, there is a "porta privy". That is, a fine plastic lawn chair with a hole cut out of the seat. I took it for three (yes, 3) rides when I passed through in May.

Panama Red

If my memory serves me correctly there is a privy close by on the road by a picnic area when i last passed through there it was locked but i believe i was no further than .25 miles south on the trail you cant miss it if im correct

I saw no privy at Watauga Lake Shelter last month. There is a Porta-John on the north end of the Watauga Lake Dam. IIRC, that was the only privy in Tennessee of any sort. I heard from Bob Peoples that there is work toward a privy at Roan High Bluff Shelter.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Well, the nice thing is that you'd be near Watauga Lake, and more specifically the swinging ropes which are a ton of fun. Highly recommended to swing away for at least an hour!

with a case of blind faith
    Images

We were there, early August. We passed and went up to Vandeventer (spelling?) to get away from the nearby crowds. Just about can't miss it though. It's just away from lake side. There was a ton of trash either side of the shelter when we went through. Lot's of deck chairs, blankets, plastic bits, styrofoam coolers, bottles, etc..... Tire tracks came pretty close to the shelter but they were not on any road or "approved path". Did see one of the rope swings but it was in heavy use when I hiked by. Other spots, near the lake, were clean and well kept. The shelter area, itself, was not as bad as some of the surrounding "camp" spots.

Was at the Watauga shelter today and the sign leading to it stated "Remove or burn litter". I guess pack it in/pack it out isn't Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club policy. Makes for nasty fire pits. Oh well. Shelters and thier surrounding areas suck anyway.

Images

Mice. Lotsa mice. Hungry mice.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

i stayed there in dec 2001 when i section hiked between hwy19E and damascus
    va. nice shelter neo

Images

If you stay here, its sets up a nice little 40 miler into Damascus. Might go for it next time. Just hop on the Tennessee Turnpike
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I hold the unofficial record for Watauga to Damascus. 11 hours 50 minutes with pack.

Default watauga lake shelter

Well my experience is to go right pass it seeing how every time I have been thrue there I miss it anyway I didnt like the location either believe its very close to the road!kentucky,but maybe Im lost at that retrospect

Adventure Trekker/Science Geek
    Images

Default whoosh, splash.

Is that rope swing slightly south ot the shelter still there? how is the water level in recent history.

That spot was really cool.

11 hours 50 minutes. Where? From the shelter? After I have my fill of the rope swing.... Your record is in trouble Lone Wolf!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

I passed by 3 rope swings. All 3 were cut/broke half way up to the limb they were tied on. The lake is way up right now.
    Beat the record Rift!

Images

Default It's on.

Aw man. Back and forward flips off a rope swing is one of life's greastest pleasures.

From the shelter... No? C'mon man, your record is from where to where?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible." -Feynman

Shelter to the Gazebo in the town park. Full pack. No slack.

Images

Default Damn.

You are a savage!

We shall see if I can step to the great Lone Wolf.

That is gettin' down the Trail.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

Images

Question

Last post in this thread was in 2005. Any updates or comments on the Watauga Lake Shelter?

A few WhiteBlazers are talking about a weekend hike from Kincora/Dennis Cove Road up towards Damascus over the 4th of July weekend. Is this shelter a good or bad place to camp at? Does it have water?

Thanks in advance!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Last post in this thread was in 2005. Any updates or comments on the Watauga Lake Shelter?

A few WhiteBlazers are talking about a weekend hike from Kincora/Dennis Cove Road up towards Damascus over the 4th of July weekend. Is this shelter a good or bad place to camp at? Does it have water?

Thanks in advance!

RainMan

Not a whole lot of camping opportunities right around the shelter. Its on top of a small hill with a small grade back down to the trail.
    Just north of 321, there is Fishermans Camp (very large area) just past the the gate and several other little campsites on the lakeside. Then there is a good level area right at the Big Laurel Branch boundary.

Last year it was pretty dry around the lake during the summer. But everything should be back to normal. There is a small spring on the AT right at the blue blaze to the shelter. There is another small branch, Griffth Branch, just south of it. Then you got lake water. Also, if you get off trail after the dam and continue on the Dam Access Road and walk down to the Watagua Dam Visitor Center, you can get tap water. But its a good walk off trail.

Watauga Lake Shelter is one of the nicer USFS shelters. Its small but one of their newer ones. The only problem with the shelter is that it gets a lot of visitation from local fisherman. They base camp out of it and leave lots of trash. If there is someone there thats not a hiker, keep going.

Being 4th of July, you will probably hear lots of lake traffic and fireworks.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++