WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Looking for hikes around Orlando

So I'm heading to Orlando in a couple of weeks. Staying at Disney, but hoping to escape from the family for a day to do a good dayhike. It looks like a couple of places are nearby -- Tibet-Butler Preserve and Split Oak Forest look like two options. However, I was hoping for something a little longer than 5 or so miles.

Are there any "must see" places to hike in the area? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Images

this is a cool place to explore in Central Florida:

http://www.fl-dof.com/state_forests/..._big_econ.html
    Stumpy

You can never go wrong with butter or bacon!!!!

Images

I run down in the Croom all the time and it's a 35 mile drive for me but worth it. Recently voted one of the 10 coolest places in North America by the WWF. From Orlando it would be less than an hour drive.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide...oom_hiking.htm
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Wikiwa Springs State Park in Altamonte Springs (about 35 miles from Disney) is interesting. I like the white-blazed main hiking trail, but there are many connector trails: http://www.floridastateparks.org/Wek...ails052305.pdf

http://www.floridastateparks.org/WekiwaSprings/

Images

Hey, thanks for your suggestions! I'm looking into all of them. Just giving the thread a little bump, in case any one else has any ideas...

There's the portion of the Florida Trail that goes through Ocala National Forest. You can park at Juniper Springs Recreation Area. When I lived in Tampa, hiking from Juniper Springs and camping at Hidden Pond (west of Juniper Springs) was one of my favorite hikes.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rainmakerat92 View Post
    There's the portion of the Florida Trail that goes through Ocala National Forest. You can park at Juniper Springs Recreation Area. When I lived in Tampa, hiking from Juniper Springs and camping at Hidden Pond (west of Juniper Springs) was one of my favorite hikes.
    I recently discovered a stretch of the FT only 15 minutes from my house in Citrus Springs. It used to follow an old road bed through there, but there is now a trail that meanders through the old diggings from the aborted barge canal. It made for a great 8 mile run the other day.

If you look at the FT web site there are dozens of loop trails in addition to the thru trail in the FT network.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Default Fla Hikes

I spent time outside Orlando and the lower part of the FT is all good. The Hidden Pond and Juniper Springs areas mention above are nice-also Farles (sp) Prarie and Alexander Springs areas are also nice. You can snorkel after your hike in these areas as well.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by rainmakerat92 View Post
    Agree with this. As a transplanted New englander, you'll be amazed at the flatness. I hiked some 30 miles from Route 19, though Juniper Springs and out ...?314? I forget. The beiggest hills I encountered was crossing the drainage ditch along Rte 40. Three feet down, three feet up. For an out-and-back, I would park at Juniper Springs. From Orlando, take 441 north to 19, 19 north to 40, Juniper Springs in on the right not to far from Rte 19. Fee to park IIRC, but a little store and everything. (If you are based in WDW, probably easier to take 535 or 429 north to 441, then 10 and 40.)
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I recently discovered a stretch of the FT only 15 minutes from my house in Citrus Springs. It used to follow an old road bed through there, but there is now a trail that meanders through the old diggings from the aborted barge canal. It made for a great 8 mile run the other day.

If you look at the FT web site there are dozens of loop trails in addition to the thru trail in the FT network.
    You can hike by Holder Mine, SW of Inverness. Interesting area with lots of minor topography.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

The FT in the Santos area west all the way to the Pruitt trail head offers around 25 miles of trail. The eastern 2/3 of that stretch even has some climbs of 50 to 80 feet that will have you thinking you left Florida for a day. Just be careful of the nosebleeds...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Agree with this. As a transplanted New englander, you'll be amazed at the flatness.

(If you are based in WDW, probably easier to take 535 or 429 north to 441, then 10 and 40.)
    What did you think of the hills on those roads?

BTW, I put a coupla pictures of FL's highest waterfall (100 ft) in my WB gallery.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

++ New Posts ++