WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What type of wild life sould I expect? The small dog stays at my side always while the big one scouts the way. Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Lama View Post
    What type of wild life sould I expect? The small dog stays at my side always while the big one scouts the way. Ali
    will your dogs chase or stand thier ground if they encounter wildlife? you might not see much,but your dogs might encounter skunks,porky's,snake's. there were times me and my dog would turn a corner, and walked right up to bears only 20 feet away. she would freeze next to me. would your dogs listen 100% or chase? will your dogs stay on the path? sometimes the trail turns a sharpe corner with big drops, don't want them running off down the trail and falling. after my first hike i was more comfortable knowing where the roads and such were at! how much do your dogs weigh? can you carry them if needed,there are some very hairy descents that are very tricky even for a 4 wheel drive dog.

I would worry more about skunks that bears. I might have to keep her on a long leash. If it runs she will chase it. I can carry them both but they are pretty used to tecnical scrambles. I have some new information that My inlaws migh watch the dogs for all or part of the hike. Maybe I can just have them do serveral sections. Ali

[quote=Jolly Lama;820622]I would worry more about skunks that bears
    exactly! and porky too, ever seen a dog quilled not pretty. you live in bama? it takes most hikers 17-19 days to reach fontana(smokies) you could start the hike with the dogs and try it out?

Been there and done that with the Porky, I didnt even know we had them in Wa but it sucked. We are negotiating with family to watch them part time or be on emergency alert incase it turns out to be too much for the dogs. Im the lucky one, Lizzie is strong as an ox and can short rope my crusty butt if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Lama View Post
    Been there and done that with the Porky, I didnt even know we had them in Wa but it sucked. We are negotiating with family to watch them part time or be on emergency alert incase it turns out to be too much for the dogs. Im the lucky one, Lizzie is strong as an ox and can short rope my crusty butt if need be.
    no matter what takes place have a great hike and let me know if i can help in anyway?

Images

Wildlife: Deer are plentiful, bears and skunks are around but you won't always see them. Moose up north. Coyotes. We met this guy on the trail in central Virginia. Copperheads and timber rattlers are occasionally found in the middle of the trail warming themselves. Escaped/lost hunting dogs are fairly common.

Nothing to really worry about with your dogs unless they would get into it with any of the above. Doesn't sound like it from your description. (Though I'd be wary of letting the large dog scout so far ahead I couldn't see him.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I agree on the leash thing, we have started training her on a leash. Ali

Images

You know, I've just got to say that this thread provides a lot of justification for admin's decision to have a dog forum with different rules. Someone with a lot of experience with hiking with dogs, but little experience hiking with dogs in the East comes here asking for advice. In the General forum, he's told by most, "don't do it, you don't have a chance." The thread is moved to the dog forum, we get a little more information about the OP and his dogs, and he is given advice about what wouldn't work on the AT, the things to look out for, and he appears to listen and learn.

Great job, guys!

Have a great hike, Ali!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Thanks steve and all who helped here and through PM's. This is a great place with great people and info. Ali

Something that hasn't been mentioned, though I think it's worthwhile is are your dogs neutered/spayed? All mine are except my oldest Lab and he goes a bit nutso when he catches the scent. I've had to leash him on the back 40 after chasing him down this spring a mile from the house while he was out on the prowl. That might not be a good option if you're out on the trail. Funny, I think it was a fox (yes guys a real red fox, not what you think) he was after, now that could be an interesting mix.

Images

I have run into dogs who sat patiently at the side of the shelter waiting their turn for food and who came to you when called but left you alone otherwise. I have met dogs who kept the whole shelter entertained by doing tricks. I have seen healthy dogs carrying packs of their own clearly under the control of their owner. These dogs are always fun to encounter on the trail.

Dogs are definitely on the trail in SNP where they are "supposed" to be on a leash. I have had people's big dogs on the trail block my path aggressively, I have had a pair of (lost) dogs stalk me on the trail hoping I would give them a morsel of food. I have had a dog, not on a leash, literally sniffing my butt while I hiked while his owner was about a 100 yards back doing nothing to control his dog. I have had a hike aborted when a pack of three dogs blocked my way with death in their eyes. I have seen dogs with bloody paws and cuts and I've smelled one that had lost an encounter with a skunk.

The problem is that only one in four encounters I have with dogs fall into the first category (probably I don't encounter or remember the good owners as often because they are good owners). The other problem is that the owners of the second category of dogs all think they have dogs in the first category.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

After owning dogs for 45 years, I can tell you, you never remember a good owner or dog, only the bad ones. And really, there are no bad dogs, just bad humans. Just saying.

i plan on taking my dog on the at as well here in june. we have hiked together on many trails and she is more than up for the at.

I always had to carry a larger tent than I would have preferred. Always have had large dogs. Never really figured out a better way for biting bug protection. Your dog can have a bad nite if he or she has to spend the nite unprotected.
    Maybe someone has some better solutions for skeeters and such?

Images

I am a dog lover, so anyone that wants to hike with dogs I am all for it and would be one of the passer bys that would stop and talk to them, pet them, etc. But come camp time I am tolerant to a degree, don't want them up in my food, peeing on my pack and tent or stepping in their business. I have read alot of journals lately with this all happening to people along the trail. As long as you are responsible and the dog does not take away from another's persons journey, go for it.

Also, please take care to watch how much your dog can handle. The dog's body language will have to do since they cannot tell you their paws hurt, their cold, too hot, thirsty. I have seen dogs on trails that the owners push way to hard and it is sad for me to see it. But a dog just wants to be with you and a happy dog is the best dog. Happy hiking and tail wagging along the way.

..if it wasn't 4 my pup.....i would never have a pillow..(or heat)..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RiverWarriorPJ View Post
    ..if it wasn't 4 my pup.....i would never have a pillow..(or heat)..
    Thats a great looking dog, is he a pit, almost looks like a combo of pit and bull dog. My nephew is a 80 lb pit bull I take care of all the time a great dog and so loveable. My personal dog is a 4 lb chihuahua, if I hiked with her I would have to carry her, but she is one of the loves of my life right now. gotta love em.

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    Thats a great looking dog, is he a pit, almost looks like a combo of pit and bull dog. My nephew is a 80 lb pit bull I take care of all the time a great dog and so loveable. My personal dog is a 4 lb chihuahua, if I hiked with her I would have to carry her, but she is one of the loves of my life right now. gotta love em.
    ..thnx....just a mutt rescued from animal control, no 1 had a clue what breed he is, including the folks who turned him in cause they couldn't control him..lol..why do people like that get a pet..??..

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++