WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

So here's the deal. Started my "shake down" hike this past Thurs. For those familiar with SNP, started at Simmons Gap and went to High Top hut. Exhausted. Now, get this, couldn't sleep. Next day, hiked 3 miles to Swift Run Gap. It took 3 hrs. to go 3 miles.

Just didn't think I could make it to the next hut, Bear Fence. Called my wife and quit (we live an hr. away). Sorta paniced over not having water if I had to stop before I got to the next spring. Noticed later that I could have found water at a picnic ground. Any way, I was whipped and I've been hiking with weight to train.

Talked to a tru hiker while I was waiting for my wife. He said the SNP was easy. If it was easy, what am I going to do in maine?

Folks, I need some encourgement.

Trail name is now "far enough"

Images

how much weight were you carrying? Often I can't sleep the first night out, so I"m tired the 2nd day, but then sleep well that night, and it's great from then on.
    You need to plan better about the water, and not have a panic attack. for your next shake down hike, go with a buddy

Images

How heavy was your pack?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Way View Post
    He said the SNP was easy. If it was easy, what am I going to do in Maine?
    You might give serious consideration to working your way up to some of the more challenging portions gradually. Through hiking isn't the only way to become a 2000 miler.

Images

Well, first things first, if you make it to Maine you'll be fine. Lots of folks start the trail in all different levels of fitness. What kind of load were you carrying? Did you eat enough? Did you stay hydrated? If so then you've probably discovered the first thing that separates the Thru's from the coulda beens: it's a mental game. I'm assuming you don't have any medical conditions that you haven't mentioned. If you have a problem physicaly, then you need a doctors advice. If you are physically ok you have to realize that not everyone starts out doing any kind of mileage to brag about. You've already walked further on the AT than most Americans will. Yes, most hikers would probably say that SNP is fairly easy, but not everyone would agree. When you get to Springer who cares how many miles a day you turn out. Are you enjoying the journey? If not it doesn't matter whether you do 1 mile or 21 if you're not enjoying yourself. The mileage comes as you get your trail legs. How far do you have to hike today - Far Enough.

I think I was carring a little over 30 lbs. I've cut every thing down including finger nail clippers.

And all my friends work. So no "buddies" to hike with.

By the way, I met only 3 hikers and they were great! Forget their names except "Revolution". Wonderful guy and very encouraging. I didn't understand what folks were saying about trail people until now. If I never do anything else, I will remember this. Thanks guys from Ohio.

far enough

Images

After the first day it's not unusual to be worn out, not hungry and not use the facilities. After that it's okay. Acclimation I guess.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Ya, don't let this scare you. I don't sleep very well the first few nights, and I lose my appetite. If you don't eat, you'll tire out easily. What kind of mileage did you do the first day? Ya, hikers say SNP is easy, but that's after hiking 800 miles. And everyone runs out of water sooner or later, it rarely happens twice. This is why it is recommended to do shakedown hikes.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Try to keep in mind that the Thru who said SNP was easy walked there from Georgia. By then he's in shape. You drove there. Trust me, when he started he probably was a bit miserable.

Your body will find its balance once you're out there a while. Lots of people lose their appetites and can't sleep in the beginning. Eventually you fall into a rhythm on the trail. Sleep comes as soon as its dark, the hunger comes back so strong you'll long for the times you weren't hungry, and you're body will be stronger than it's ever been.

You can do it.

You need to believe that, get out there, and stay out long enough to give your body a chance to change.

Get out there and kick ass.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by bullseye View Post
    Well, first things first, if you make it to Maine you'll be fine.
    Don't assume he's NOBO.

That said, it doesn't matter. Jump in with both feet, Mike!

And if you start to doubt that you can do it, just repeat this to yourself as you're hiking: "The end of the trail will be far enough . . ."
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Don't despair, Mike!

I have section hiked, in sequence, from Springer to Damascus, a week or less at a time. I am always starting over again, so I have had all of those experiences several times. Sometimes I fall into the rhythm quickly, sometimes I don't sleep well the whole week. Sometimes the miles come easy even when the terrain is brutral, sometimes easy terrain wears me out and makes me wonder if I'm gonna make the next hill. Sometimes I sleep well, sometimes I do not.

Your experience is not a damnation of your hiking dreams. If anything, the next hike will seem much easier because your memories of the previous one were so tough.

By the time you reach the smokies on the AT you will have over 150 miles under your belt, and statistics show it will probably take you almost 3 weeks to get there. You'll be in shape. The stretch from NOC to Fontana Dam will make sure of that.

Water does become more of a worry if you're moving slow...just keep your databook handy and note all the water sources...top off your water bottles every time you pass water...drink water while you are there. In the spring there will be water everywhere you turn almost...even if you only go a couple miles a day you will always be close to water.

Just keep moving forward, even if its only a mile or two a day. This is important in the beginning...you will have days where you don't make much progress...its part of the game.

Don't plan too far ahead. If you plan a week long trip and you have a couple of bad days, you'll beat yourself up over being 20 miles behind. When you make camp, each night after dinner look at your progress for the day. Don't beat yourself up if you didn't make it as far as you thought you would. Its over, its done, you can't change the past. But do re-evaluate where you are and make a realistic plan for the next day. Don't plan more than a day or two ahead...if you do then you'll end up disappointed in yourself a lot. Take things as they come and you'll do just fine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Don't assume he's NOBO.
    Yeah right, forgot not everybody goes NOBO. No matter, you'll be fine Mike. Like Lone Wolf says, it's only walkin'.

Thanks guys! You have been a great help. If I can rearrange a committment, I'll be back hiking on Tues.

"Farenough"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Way View Post
    Thanks guys! You have been a great help. If I can rearrange a committment, I'll be back hiking on Tues.

"Farenough"
    Hiking next Tuesday ... way to go!! Remember, go your own pace! It may be a cliche, but it is true:

Hike your own hike!
    You are never too old.

We'll be in SNP Monday to Wednesday - if we see you, say hi. (Northern SNP doing loops).

Re: sleep - take ibuprofen at night, it helps ease all the little aches and pains so you sleep better.

Re: no energy - sounds like either dehydration or low blood sugar - when you get like that, sit down, eat, drink a lot, maybe stick your feet in some cold water and rest a bit, then move on.

You still have some time to get ready. You have the right idea, get out there and hike as much as possible. Each trip will be a bit easier as your body gets used to the activity.

Spirit Walker, If I can work somethings out, I'll be going north from Swift Run Gap. Staying over near Bearfence Hut and then going toward Big Meadows. Hope to see you.

And I think you've got something there with the dehydration and low blood sugar.

Images

I've had the "no energy" thing a couple of times, and it was due to being dehydrated. You'll need to drink and eat more than you think (drink, especially). If you find that you aren't hungry at night, which is common early in a hike, it helps to have some food that you can eat -- some good gorp, pb&j, *something* that you can eat without cooking that will provide energy for the next day. Gotta feed the machine.

If you haven't done this before, then hiking in the mountains with a pack is very different from training at home. It's far more strenuous, and very few people train for 8-12 hours a day. A 1-hour walk with a pack every night helps, but it's still going to be a major adjustment once you actually hit the trail. Age is a factor, too -- I've seen a huge change in how long it takes me to get back into "trail shape" since I hit my 40s.

Don't give too much credence to the daily mileage figures thrown around this web site. Very few hikers are putting in 15 miles per day from day one. (And that means you may want to think a little more about that hundred mile wilderness to start your hike. The recommended 10 days of food is there for a reason. Being able to do the wilderness in 6 days would be great, but if it were me, I wouldn't plan on that.)

Good luck on the hike this week. You know more about what to expect now. That helps a lot.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

MW,
    How long has it been since you have been out? There have been periods in the past eight years between having kids and medical issues that I have gone up to 6 months without getting on the trail for an overnight....any trail. and it can feel uncomfortable and even foreign, keeping the stress levels high. some say jump in and others say take it slow. Hoewever you do it, just keep doing it!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

just keep hiking and you will eventually get into shape. the backpacker just came out with a 4 week fitness plan before a hike. I am planning on doing it becuase i want to lose some weight from what i have gained during the winter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++